Poll: Who will win 2024 Presidency?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.

Who do you think is going to win?

1. Trump
50%
2. Biden
50%

Total votes: 24

Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Poll: Who will win 2024 Presidency?

Post by Ken »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:00 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:37 pm
HondurasKeiser wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:41 pm

It seems like that is just your opinion.

- Dissolving Trump’s business empire would stand apart in history of NY fraud law
No one is taking Trump's businesses away. He is facing a fine that is calibrated to the scale of the fraud, nothing more. Something that he is currently appealing as is his right. If it turns out he doesn't have the money then that is more fraud on his part because not long ago he claimed that he had a something like a half billion in cash alone. If he chooses not to pay his fines then he may have assets seized. That is the way that fines work. Basically the chickens are coming home to roost.
Again, this is your opinion, which you're entitled to. I could care less if Trump loses his businesses...I have no love for the man nor would I ever vote for him (If I voted). Nevertheless, this fraud case was one without a victim to show harm - and the fines were in fact exorbitant. If he hadn't managed to secure a lowered bond amount he would have in fact begun losing his businesses. A quite chirpy Letitia James was clear about that: "We are prepared to make sure that the judgment is paid to New Yorkers, and yes, I look at 40 Wall Street each and every day," .

As it is, The New Republic agrees with me that he's being treated differently and they prove my thesis that they think they ought to because: "he needs to be gotten".
Is New York State treating Donald Trump differently from other real estate scofflaws in requiring him to disgorge $454 million by Monday? Yes. Would another such person who lied to banks and insurance companies about the value of his real estate holdings become the target of a major investigation by the state attorney general? Probably not. Was Judge Arthur F. Engeron, in handing down last month his $454 million judgment against Trump, trying to banish Trump from New York’s real estate industry? Possibly so.
- Trump’s $454M Penalty Is Exceptional Because Trump Is an Exception
That probably an argument to start treating ALL white collar crime more seriously. But the fact of the matter is that Letitia James doesn't actually control any of this. She is just the prosecution whose job it is to argue aggressively. The actual fine was set by the judge and jury. Perhaps it was a strategic error on Trump's part to endlessly antagonize and intimidate that judge and try to sic violent mobs on him and his family through his endless online statements. That sort of egregious behavior on Trump's part made this an unusual case from the start. If he wanted more deference from the legal system of the type that some other white collar defendants have received, perhaps he should have shown some himself.
Last edited by Ken on Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:45 pm Thing is, unlike 2016, both POTUS candidates have served 1 term in the White House.
This is biden’s 3rd term in the White House.
8-)
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm
temporal1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:45 pm Thing is, unlike 2016, both POTUS candidates have served 1 term in the White House.
8-)
Technically the Office of the Vice President is located in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building across the street from the White House. Which are pretty nice digs too. I guess none of you have ever watched Veep.

0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

8-)
.. unlike 2016, both POTUS candidates have served 1 term [as POTUS] in the White House.
This is biden’s 3rd term in the White House, 2 terms as VP, current term as POTUS.

i’ve never viewed Veep, have no plans to view it. Or watch trailers, etc.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

barnhart wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:20 am I'm not ready to commit to holding anyone to account, but if any other candidate has the track record I outlined above, I will certainly notice and I might mention it if their rhetoric begins to show up in the speech of people around me.
It does not take much digging to find out that most politicians have similar track records.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:19 pm This is biden’s 3rd term in the White House, 2 terms as VP, current term as POTUS.
Isn't this an odd way of saying VP? Normally a VP isn't described as being in the White House. Did anyone say Nixon resigned in his 4th term in the White House?
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

JimFoxvog wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:32 pm
temporal1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:19 pm This is biden’s 3rd term in the White House, 2 terms as VP, current term as POTUS.
Isn't this an odd way of saying VP? Normally a VP isn't described as being in the White House. Did anyone say Nixon resigned in his 4th term in the White House?
Thanks for pointing that out. i don’t think it’s an odd thought, but i’ve not heard it before.
i was young and not interested in politics during the Nixon years, i don’t recall anyone pointing it out.

i wasn’t impressed with biden’s years as VP, i don’t believe obama or anyone else was, either.
definitely not impressed with him as POTUS.

i’ve wondered how tolerant the current public would be in event of a Republican example, i wouldn’t presume former examples would hold, esp considering the widespread refusal to respect elected Republican presidents.

Library of Congress:
“Chronological List of Presidents, First Ladies, and Vice Presidents of the United States”

Selected Images From the Collections of the Library of Congress
Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C., 20540-4730

“This chronological list contains entries for each president with his corresponding first lady and vice president.
Note: Multiple entries appear for a president whenever there was a change in the office of vice president.”
https://www.loc.gov/rr/print/list/057_chron.html
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:47 ami’ve wondered how tolerant the current public would be in event of a Republican example, i wouldn’t presume former examples would hold, esp considering the widespread refusal to respect elected Republican presidents.
Richard Nixon and George H.W. Bush were both 2-term Republican VPs before being elected to the presidency.
Republicans had a chance to nominate an experienced and honorable VP in the person of Mike Pence this time around and took a hard pass.

There is, in fact, more history of Republicans electing VPs than Democrats. Before Biden you have to go all the way back to Johnson in 1964 and then Truman in 1948 and both of them rose to the presidency upon the death of a president rather than being elected. Although both were re-elected. Before that I think you have to go all the way back to Martin Van Buren who was Andrew Jackson's vice president.
0 x
Thomas_muntzer
Affiliation: Midwest fellowship

Post by Thomas_muntzer »

8-)
This is obama third time. he is the master puppet pulling the strings
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Thomas_muntzer wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:23 am
8-)
This is obama third time. he is the master puppet pulling the strings
You might appreciate Thomas Sowell’s thoughts.
(i think) obama’s greatest influence was “community DISorganization.” out of office, he hasn’t stopped.

“Pres. Obama Didn't Believe in the Principles and Values of America - Chief Divider” | Thomas Sowell / 8min
Description:
Pres. Barack Obama is the embodiment, the personification, and the culmination of dangerous trends that began decades ago. Moreover, he has escalated those dangers to what may be a point of no return.

PDF / Dismanteling America : and other controversial essays
by Sowell, Thomas, 1930-
https://archive.org/details/dismantlingameri00thom
1 x

UNKNOWN