Poll: Who will win 2024 Presidency?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.

Who do you think is going to win?

1. Trump
50%
2. Biden
50%

Total votes: 24

Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Poll: Who will win 2024 Presidency?

Post by Ken »

Robert wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:52 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:11 amTrumpworld is apparently filled with violent homicidal maniacs and gun fetishists.
Ken, please remember that it has been leftists that has actually shot people. The right has been remarkably reserved. I do not think that will continue.

Pulling out one crazy is not representative of the 81 million who voted for Trump the last election.
Personally I'm not worried about a bunch of Trump supporters with guns doing anything at all. It it all just hot air unless national leaders actually try to mobilize it such as happened on 1/6.

Nevertheless, you come here and tell us that if Trump loses "we will no longer have a cold civil war. It will get quite hot." I have no idea what you mean by that or what you are referring to, but it sounds like you are predicting violence. Personally I don't see anything of the sort happening unless we have a repeat of 2020 and see national leaders once again deliberately organizing and riling up violent mobs and directing them at the capitol or other civic institutions. So I think it depends on what Republican leaders and Trump himself does more than anything else.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:40 pm Incidentally, the amount of unchecked violence and skyrocketing crime in America is probably one of the things that is really boosting Trump’s chances.
Esp among black and Latino legal voters, who did NOT “vote for that,” not knowingly, anyway.
They/we are the ones experiencing the most crime+violence from awful policies that are gutting neighborhoods of basic civility.

i’ve heard rumors of another civil war for - 6+decades of my life, my elders hated memories passed down from their elders, and, never-ever wanted to return to such a horrific time. thankfully, it’s not happened. “from where i sit” in lib-lands, i’m not seeing it.

Except -
in the wild eyes and extremism that for-profit abortion and child mutilation talk stirs up.
Proponents are angry, organized and ready for “whatever it takes,” to protect their right to wholesale kill, at will. “Human right.”

^^It stands to reason, doesn’t it?

1979 Nobel Peace Prize / Mother Teresa / Acceptance Speech
https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/peace ... ce-speech/
.. And I feel one thing I want to share with you all, the greatest destroyer of peace today is the cry of the innocent unborn child.

For if a mother can murder her own child in her own womb, what is left for you and for me to kill each other?

Even in the scripture it is written:
Even if mother could forget her child – I will not forget you – I have carved you in the palm of my hand.
Even if mother could forget, but today millions of unborn children are being killed. And we say nothing.

In the newspapers you read numbers of this one and that one being killed, this being destroyed, but nobody speaks of the millions of little ones who have been conceived to the same life as you and I, to the life of God, and we say nothing, we allow it.

To me the nations who have legalized abortion, they are the poorest nations.
They are afraid of the little one, they are afraid of the unborn child, and the child must die because they don’t want to feed one more child, to educate one more child, the child must die. ..
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I looked up my property tax statement. I see that I pay about $2,500 per year to my local public school. Which is a lot cheaper than operating our own school. About 17 families at our church, comes to $42,500. I wouldn’t mind if we could use that money to fund our own school instead.

But I suppose part of my income taxes pay for public school on top of the property tax. I’m sure our public schools aren’t only being funded by property taxes.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Ken wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:19 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:11 amTrumpworld is apparently filled with violent homicidal maniacs and gun fetishists.
Ken, please remember that it has been leftists that has actually shot people. The right has been remarkably reserved. I do not think that will continue.

Pulling out one crazy is not representative of the 81 million who voted for Trump the last election.

Personally I'm not worried about a bunch of Trump supporters with guns doing anything at all. It it all just hot air unless national leaders actually try to mobilize it such as happened on 1/6.

Nevertheless, you come here and tell us that if Trump loses "we will no longer have a cold civil war. It will get quite hot." I have no idea what you mean by that or what you are referring to, but it sounds like you are predicting violence. Personally I don't see anything of the sort happening unless we have a repeat of 2020 and see national leaders once again deliberately organizing and riling up violent mobs and directing them at the capitol or other civic institutions. So I think it depends on what Republican leaders and Trump himself does more than anything else.
President Trump is already talking about a "bloodbath" if he is not elected, so I guess this type of prediction is now acceptable by major party candidates.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

This was the NYT prediction a year out from the 2012 election. We all know how that turned out.

There were similar headlines about Reagan a year before he trounced Mondale. In the end, nobody knows anything until the election actually happens. Except that incumbents tend to be hard to beat. And polling is getting less and less accurate over time as it is getting increasingly difficult to contact a representative sampling of Americans by phone.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

barnhart wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:26 pm

President Trump is already talking about a "bloodbath" if he is not elected, so I guess this type of prediction is now acceptable by major party candidates.
Might you be isolating that use of “bloodbath” from the larger context? I think he was talking about the car industry…which is a pretty normal way to speak about the economy.
2 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Grace

Post by Grace »

barnhart wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:26 pm

That was just another example how the mainstream media and liberal politicians distort what Trump says. That comment was taken out of context as he was talking about vehicle manufacturing. BTW, it was acceptable when Biden used the term "bloodbath" back in 2020.
1 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:09 pm Might you be isolating that use of “bloodbath” from the larger context? I think he was talking about the car industry…which is a pretty normal way to speak about the economy.
Possibly, but he did say it would be a bloodbath "for the whole country". At minimum this is careless and dangerous rhetoric from a president whose followers have "misinterpreted" his speech as a call to violence before.

I freely admit I have never cared for him going back to his lifestyle in the 90's. He would have to work very hard to gain my sympathy, so it's possible I receive his messaging in a negative light. On the other hand he has a track record of giving motivational speeches to people who understand it as a call to violence. If he were a decent, moral person he would correct that mistake and make extra effort to encourage democratic norms like peaceful transfer of power.
1 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I really appreciate the way you framed this. You are allowed your opinions and they are just as valid as mine. We both can have different opinions without telling each other we are wrong, evil, or deranged.

Thanks again for your wording. It does matter.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

barnhart wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:00 am
HondurasKeiser wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:09 pm Might you be isolating that use of “bloodbath” from the larger context? I think he was talking about the car industry…which is a pretty normal way to speak about the economy.
Possibly, but he did say it would be a bloodbath "for the whole country". At minimum this is careless and dangerous rhetoric from a president whose followers have "misinterpreted" his speech as a call to violence before.

I freely admit I have never cared for him going back to his lifestyle in the 90's. He would have to work very hard to gain my sympathy, so it's possible I receive his messaging in a negative light. On the other hand he has a track record of giving motivational speeches to people who understand it as a call to violence. If he were a decent, moral person he would correct that mistake and make extra effort to encourage democratic norms like peaceful transfer of power.
Will you hold the rest of the leaders accountable for using that same term? It is quite a common term used by many in speeches and ad hoc statements.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.