Biden proclaims this Easter as Trans Day of Visibility

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Biden proclaims this Easter as Trans Day of Visibility

Post by Bootstrap »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:18 pm As far as I can tell, the only critical thing you said about Biden in this thread is that this pronouncement is a political mistake. You don't even suggest that there is anything else wrong with it - only that you think it will hurt him politically.
I thought this went beyond that:
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:58 pmThe idea that your body does not know if it is male or female, and you have to ask your friends on social media to help you figure that out when you reach adolescence, is a little alarming to many ...
It's alarming to me, at any rate. And very much at odds with God's creation as male and female. I think Romans 1 speaks to this. I don't use words like "demonic" very often, I try to be specific about what I am disagreeing with instead.
ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:18 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:58 pm But to me, there's a pretty big difference between criticizing Biden and calling him "demonic" or "evil". The whole "us versus them" questioning of sanity and morality and all that is a bit much. It's quite literally demonizing.

On MN, that usually involves politics, not discussion of religious people or topics.
OK, but I don't how this answers the question of why you brought up Trump in relation to this. Like, nobody said anything about him in this thread before you decided to make sure we all knew he was a fraud and a criminal.
I think the everyday demonization of the other side is something you see in almost every Trump speech, this is a style of discourse that I don't remember from before the Trump era. I think he has mainstreamed it. It's one of his trademarks.

And I think it's not good when we let ourselves become like him.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:27 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:18 pm As far as I can tell, the only critical thing you said about Biden in this thread is that this pronouncement is a political mistake. You don't even suggest that there is anything else wrong with it - only that you think it will hurt him politically.
I thought this went beyond that:
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:58 pmThe idea that your body does not know if it is male or female, and you have to ask your friends on social media to help you figure that out when you reach adolescence, is a little alarming to many ...
Exactly - the extent of the criticism being that he is taking a position that many people find alarming. You explained yourself further now, but again your language is positively mild compared with the off-topic posts you made about the former president.
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:27 pm But to me, there's a pretty big difference between criticizing Biden and calling him "demonic" or "evil". The whole "us versus them" questioning of sanity and morality and all that is a bit much. It's quite literally demonizing.

On MN, that usually involves politics, not discussion of religious people or topics.
OK, but I don't how this answers the question of why you brought up Trump in relation to this. Like, nobody said anything about him in this thread before you decided to make sure we all knew he was a fraud and a criminal.
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:27 pm I think the everyday demonization of the other side is something you see in almost every Trump speech, this is a style of discourse that I don't remember from before the Trump era. I think he has mainstreamed it. It's one of his trademarks.

And I think it's not good when we let ourselves become like him.
So then why? Who do it? Why drag Trump into all of these conversations? Why this compulsion to talk about him all the time? I don't remember if I ever listened to any of his speeches so if you've listened to almost every one of them and heard him demonize the other side I won't argue with you on that. But regardless, what does that all have to do with the topic of this thread? Are you saying Trump is somehow at fault for Biden's pronouncement? I truly don't get the connection.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Soloist wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:10 pm
From 2012 to 2014, the Obama administration recognized Transgender Day of Remembrance, a day each November dedicated to memorializing trans people who were killed.

Trump did not recognize either Trans Day of Remembrance or Visibility, and for three of his four years as president, he also did not recognize or proclaim June LGBTQ Pride Month as Obama did throughout the eight years of his presidency.

In June 2019, Trump recognized Pride Month for the first time in a series of tweets, writing, “My Administration has launched a global campaign to decriminalize homosexuality and invite all nations to join us in this effort!
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1262613
i didn’t follow closely, but, i thought Trump’s initial response to June was great.
He didn’t criticize “pride” or ban it, he didn’t encourage it, promote it, worship it. i was disappointed when he faltered on that in 2019. The bloc is powerful and pushy.

In long history, without organized political blocs, June was widely recognized as the month for June brides, no act of Congress necessary. Another insult for political ideologues to come along and snatch the month, “claim it and name it,” how utterly unnecessary and obnoxious, which seem to be two fav regular features for public display.

The webpage i used to cite on the history of June brides is not available.
P.209 / Today / viewtopic.php?t=4&start=2080
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:45 pm
Ken wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:28 pmTo be perfectly correct. The trans visibility day on March 31 has been around for about 15 years or so. The Biden White House was just recognizing that fact. It just happened to fall on Easter this year because of the weird pagan way that the Easter calendar is tied to the vernal equinox and cycle of the moon and not the actual date when Jesus was resurrected. Last year Easter was on April 9th. Two years ago it was April 17. Next year it will be April 20. In fact, Easter won't fall on March 31 again until the year 2086.
But it's still jarring.

I think a lot of Americans have legitimate concerns about what their children are taught in schools. This is alarming to them. I think Biden would have much better chances in the coming election if he represented mainstream American values.

This is a gift to the radical right.
Sometimes I wonder about his advisory team.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

barnhart wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:22 pm
Sometimes I wonder about his advisory team.
Satan whispering in his ear? I see lots of evil in the current president and his administration. It could be demonic, but most likely Narcisitic and self indulgent.

I actually think it is Jill Biden that is driving the strong promotion of the LGBTQIA+ within the administration. Joe Biden is quite perverted in his own right, so I do not think it is a far stretch for him.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Make no mistake: promotion of homosexuality, transsexuality, and pedophilia is evil and demonic, and the Bible makes it very clear how and why these things are.
5 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

One person's opinion. I tend to agree.

2 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

Post by JohnHurt »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:04 am Make no mistake: promotion of homosexuality, transsexuality, and pedophilia is evil and demonic, and the Bible makes it very clear how and why these things are.
Deuteronomy 22:(5) The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
Leviticus 20:(13) If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
Romans 1:(24) Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
(25) Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
(26) For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
(27) And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
(28) And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
(29) Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
(30) Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
(31) Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
(32) Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

JohnHurt wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:59 pm
Josh wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:04 am Make no mistake: promotion of homosexuality, transsexuality, and pedophilia is evil and demonic, and the Bible makes it very clear how and why these things are.
Deuteronomy 22:(5) The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
Leviticus 20:(13) If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
Romans 1:(24) Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
(25) Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
(26) For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
(27) And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
(28) And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
(29) Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
(30) Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
(31) Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
(32) Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
Backbiters and whisperers and full of debate?

Well there goes over half the church-going population of the US right there, including everyone on this forum.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

JohnHurt wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:59 pm
Stirring the wrath of the Left Coast, i see.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN