God Bless the USA" Bibles

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: "God Bless the USA" Bibles

Post by Ken »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:41 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:36 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:47 pm

Do you have some better idea of how to value a security other than a high volume, high liquidity market like the Nasdaq?
The market value of a stock is its current value.

But not all stocks are based on stable value - we found that out with credit default swaps in 2008, for instance. Or remember GameStop (GME)? When a stock is overvalued, there's a real danger of a dramatic drop in its value.
It doesn't seem like Truth Social is earning enough money for its stock to be worth billions over the long run.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/trumps- ... oney/story
Truth Social generated roughly $3 million over the first 9 months of 2023, government filings show. Meanwhile, the company reported $49 million in net losses over that period. By comparison, Instagram-parent Meta delivered nearly $135 billion in revenue last year, company earnings showed.
Sometimes the value of stock is not based on the reality of how well or stable a company is doing. Like with Gamestop, the price for Truth Social will eventually come down to something more realistic.
It is a classic "pump and dump" scam. https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/05/061205.asp But the people buying Truth Social stock today are going into it with their eyes open. So shrug. Watch for the share price to drop through the floor after Trump and his partners are done with the "dumping" part of the scam.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:41 pmSometimes the value of stock is not based on the reality of how well or stable a company is doing. Like with Gamestop, the price for Truth Social will eventually come down to something more realistic.
If Trump markets himself well enough in the election, and especially if he uses Truth Social to do it, the price may stay high. This stock ticker is basically a barometer for how people feel about Trump.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-trut ... value-djt/
Typically, investors put their money into companies they believe will provide solid returns for their investment, though time-honored fundamentals such as profit and revenue growth, dividends and share appreciation. But Trump Media's main business, Truth Social, is a social media platform that is lagging rivals such as Facebook and "X" (formerly Twitter), with scant revenue and mounting losses, according to regulatory filings.

That hasn't fazed investors in DWAC, some of whom appear to be supporters of Trump, who are touting the stock on Truth Social. "I am holding and not selling! I believe in TRUTH and MAGA," one member of a Truth Social group focused on the DWAC stock posted on Friday morning.

Typically, a company with the financial profile of Trump Media & Technology Group would be hard-pressed to reach a valuation of $5 billion, but the stock does not appear to be trading on traditional financial mileposts like revenue and profit, said Kristi Marvin, chief executive of SPACInsider.com.

"This has never traded on fundamentals, and I don't expect it to, going forward," Marvin told CBS MoneyWatch. "This is almost like a barometer for Trump and how he's doing in the election."
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:46 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:31 pm
RZehr wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:45 pm He just earned $3-$4 billion this week in stock for Truth Social. I’m amazed that he messes with $60 bibles. It can’t be that much money. I think the Bible’s and shoes mean that he just really enjoys this sort of thing, and that is why he does it - not the money.
If he doesn't care about the money, why does he talk about his money non-stop? Isn't that a big part of his self-identity?

And he seems to do product endorsements for relatively little money - everything from steak to vodka to running shoes and now Bibles. He seems to like both the attention and the money.
Oh he seems to care about money more than anything else in the world. But even considering that, how much money is there in hawking $60 bibles? Can’t be that much profit there. Thats why I think his primary reason is that he just loves hawking stuff on TV. I think he enjoys it. I know people who just love being in the sales business, and the product they sell is almost immaterial.
I think he would be willing to try to sell about anything, even if half of them lose him money. Because he loves doing this sort of thing.
Oh, now I understand what you were saying! And I agree. Thanks for the clarification.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Bootstrap wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:48 pm
Szdfan wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:41 pmSometimes the value of stock is not based on the reality of how well or stable a company is doing. Like with Gamestop, the price for Truth Social will eventually come down to something more realistic.
If Trump markets himself well enough in the election, and especially if he uses Truth Social to do it, the price may stay high. This stock ticker is basically a barometer for how people feel about Trump.
That doesn't make it a good investment. MAGA loyalists have lost millions of dollars buying "Trump bucks" and "Trump debit cards" and the like. All of which turned out to be worthless.

https://www.nj.com/news/2024/03/beware- ... rency.html

Beware: Trump supporters getting conned with worthless currency

Turns out, Trump Bucks aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on. Just ask John Amann of Houston who said he bought $2,200 worth of the phony currency and other Trump monetary items over the past year only to discover they were worthless when he tried to cash them in at his local bank.

Supporters are told Trump Bucks will propel Donald Trump’s 2024 presidential bid and make the “real patriots” who support him rich when he wins and they can cash in.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

As far as I know, Trump has yet to issue his own currency.

Boot, GameStop was being pushed to the brink of bankruptcy and was trading at 50¢ a share*. Since Ryan Cohen decided to take over the company, GameStop got rid of a lot of high interest debt, then got completely out of debt, issued a small amount of new stock on capital markets, and became cash flow positive. Now they are trading in the $12-$15 range. A stock going up 25X in 3 years that is able to sustain its price despite very heavy pressure from short sellers isn’t one that is “overvalued”.

* All prices are post 4 for 1 split price.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

The best way to see if DJT stock maintains it's price is to wait a few years.

The usual ways of measuring underlying value say this may be a risky investment.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Bootstrap wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:40 pm The best way to see if DJT stock maintains it's price is to wait a few years.

The usual ways of measuring underlying value say this may be a risky investment.
I doubt we will have to wait that long. When the smart money cashes out the whole house of cards will collapse and the rubes will be left holding the bag.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:19 pm As far as I know, Trump has yet to issue his own currency.

Boot, GameStop was being pushed to the brink of bankruptcy and was trading at 50¢ a share*. Since Ryan Cohen decided to take over the company, GameStop got rid of a lot of high interest debt, then got completely out of debt, issued a small amount of new stock on capital markets, and became cash flow positive. Now they are trading in the $12-$15 range. A stock going up 25X in 3 years that is able to sustain its price despite very heavy pressure from short sellers isn’t one that is “overvalued”.

* All prices are post 4 for 1 split price.
Gamestop had revenues of $5.273 billion in 2023 and net profits of $6.7 million.
Truth Social had revenues of $3.4 million in 2023 and it lost around $49 million.

They are not remotely the same thing.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Ken wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:44 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:40 pm The best way to see if DJT stock maintains it's price is to wait a few years.

I doubt we will have to wait that long. When the smart money cashes out the whole house of cards will collapse and the rubes will be left holding the bag.
Maybe.

Predictions are hard. Especially predictions about the future.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

A parlour or parlor game is a group game played indoors, named so as they were often played in a parlour.
These games were extremely popular among the upper and middle classes in the United Kingdom and in the United States during the Victorian era.
Since 2016, “America’s busiest parlour game” has been trying to decide what Trump should do, must do, can do, can’t do, etc. Rarely has it paid off, but it is a pass-time. Waste of time?

He’s not a career politician, but has decades of experience with them, ALL of them, AND THEIR ATTORNEYS, altho he was a registered Dem, from what is reported.

Unlike most of us, he doesn’t get bogged down by minutiae. He’s not a one-trick pony.
Maybe some of his antics are for fun? - Like the golden sneakers. Is there something wrong with enjoying life?

i think he has many interests, money is a central part, but not all.

For career politicians, he must seem like trying to nail Jello to the wall.
There is jealousy.

For ordinary folks soberly looking at his opponents, he looks like the better choice. Few suggest he’s anywhere near perfect.
Could his opponents possibly be doing something wrong? - Not reading the room, perhaps?
Could forcing policies that people abhor be a problem?

It just appears ..
“everyone” has strong opinions/advice for Trump, about Trump. Some are “as serious as death.” He just does his thing, anyway.
And, it usually works out.

If not, he would have been trampled long ago. Like so many before him.
He has that important basketball trait/skill of rebounding.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN