God Bless the USA" Bibles

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: God Bless the USA" Bibles

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:02 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:48 pm I wonder how upset some of the posters on MennoNet who display such righteous indigniation about this would be if Biden were promoting/selling Bibles.
Quick, divert attention away from the Kingdom of God and reframe it in terms of polarized political enmities! Quick, invite speculation about things nobody has done, but which you imagine they might do ... use your imagination to polarize it!

Or ... maybe that's not what we should do as Christians? Maybe we can simply say that this is wrong, not because Trump did it, but because it is wrong. Is there really any serious disagreement about that? Perhaps we should focus on how we, as Christians, should view these things?
Perhaps, as Christians, some of you should be focusing a lot less on Trump, who seems to be a universal bogeyman for some of y'all. It's almost as if there is no other evil and nobody else in the world you're concerned with. It really is quite disturbing, and I also wonder what the media has done to you to get him so embedded in your heads.

Thankfully, at my church, we haven't had to endure a sermon about some "Trump Bible" - or about Trump at all. It is simply not relevant to Christian life.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:08 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:02 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:48 pm I wonder how upset some of the posters on MennoNet who display such righteous indigniation about this would be if Biden were promoting/selling Bibles.
Quick, divert attention away from the Kingdom of God and reframe it in terms of polarized political enmities! Quick, invite speculation about things nobody has done, but which you imagine they might do ... use your imagination to polarize it!

Or ... maybe that's not what we should do as Christians? Maybe we can simply say that this is wrong, not because Trump did it, but because it is wrong. Is there really any serious disagreement about that? Perhaps we should focus on how we, as Christians, should view these things?
Perhaps, as Christians, some of you should be focusing a lot less on Trump, who seems to be a universal bogeyman for some of y'all. It's almost as if there is no other evil and nobody else in the world you're concerned with. It really is quite disturbing, and I also wonder what the media has done to you to get him so embedded in your heads.

Thankfully, at my church, we haven't had to endure a sermon about some "Trump Bible" - or about Trump at all. It is simply not relevant to Christian life.
I expect most people would be very happy to ignore Trump if he returned the favor and went away. How many people think about Bush or Romney these days?

But as long as he is seeking to rule this country he merits attention. And to pretend this isn't relevant to Christian life is absurd. Especially when he is trying to weaponize Christianity and divide the country for political gain.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:17 pm But as long as he is seeking to rule this country he merits attention. And to pretend this isn't relevant to Christian life is absurd. Especially when he is trying to weaponize Christianity and divide the country for political gain.
Is there some other past President or candidate you had in mind that didn't do these things?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:32 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:17 pm But as long as he is seeking to rule this country he merits attention. And to pretend this isn't relevant to Christian life is absurd. Especially when he is trying to weaponize Christianity and divide the country for political gain.
Is there some other past President or candidate you had in mind that didn't do these things?
Every serious presidential candidate merits attention. Only the unserious and ridiculous dilettantes like RFJ junior and Cornel West don’t merit attention.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:08 pm Perhaps, as Christians, some of you should be focusing a lot less on Trump, who seems to be a universal bogeyman for some of y'all. It's almost as if there is no other evil and nobody else in the world you're concerned with. It really is quite disturbing, and I also wonder what the media has done to you to get him so embedded in your heads.

You have posted more often and much earlier than I have in this thread, is that because you are less interested in this topic? Why are you so actively engaged in things you find irrelevant?

The Bible and coopting Christianity for political ends are both relevant to me. Are they not relevant to you? Why not?

In my church, we even talk about why we don't fly American flags or say the Pledge of Allegiance. This Bible seems like another example of where I don't think Christians should go. I'm surprised you put so much energy into defending this by deflection. Would you do that if we were discussing churches that fly flags and say the Pledge? Why is MAGA different in your eyes?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:41 pm In my church, we even talk about why we don't fly American flags or say the Pledge of Allegiance. This Bible seems like another example of where I don't think Christians should go. I'm surprised you put so much energy into defending this by deflection. Would you do that if we were discussing churches that fly flags and say the Pledge? Why is MAGA different in your eyes?
I'm not really aware of "MAGA churches". I am aware, however, of quite a few churches that spend a lot of time denouncing MAGA. I think this is a bad trend as it means such churches are effectively turning themselves into political advocates.

For reference, Boot, I said the same thing back in 2014 about Christians and churches who produced a lot of hot air complaining about Obama, Obamacare, and so on.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:05 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:41 pm In my church, we even talk about why we don't fly American flags or say the Pledge of Allegiance. This Bible seems like another example of where I don't think Christians should go. I'm surprised you put so much energy into defending this by deflection. Would you do that if we were discussing churches that fly flags and say the Pledge? Why is MAGA different in your eyes?
I'm not really aware of "MAGA churches".
Wow, you are sure not paying attention then.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm Wow, you are sure not paying attention then.
I'm not obsessed with Trump or news about him and thus don't go digging up every example of some MAGA thing I can find. (What's wrong with the idea of making America great, anyway? Should we make America terrible?)
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:08 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm Wow, you are sure not paying attention then.
I'm not obsessed with Trump or news about him and thus don't go digging up every example of some MAGA thing I can find. (What's wrong with the idea of making America great, anyway? Should we make America terrible?)
You conveniently and predictably forgot the "AGAIN" part of the MAGA slogan. When in your mind was America "greater" than it is today and for who? What year do you want to rewind the clock back to? How are you measuring "greatness"?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:05 pm I'm not really aware of "MAGA churches".
Perhaps you missed this thread:
What is this? Republican churches
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited