God Bless the USA" Bibles

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Re: "God Bless the USA" Bibles

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Ken wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am
Josh wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am
In the right-wing publishing industry, books are not made to be read. They are to be displayed on your shelves, unopened, so you can glance at them and feel that somewhere, a liberal is "owned."
This is a rather bold claim; essentially claiming that right wing people don't read. I don't think is supported by actual facts, but it is certainly convenient to accuse your ideological enemies of being dumb and illiterate.
The claim isn't that right-wing people don't read. Just that they don't read the output of the right-wing publishing industry. But instead buy those books as cultural markers.
What are some of the titles of said cultural markers?
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

OP:
Dan Z wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:43 pm Seems like the former President is now selling patriotic Bibles for just $60 - complete with USA founding documents for cross-reference.

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/27/12411869 ... -bless-usa

Seems to confirm a lot about the worldview of DJ Trump and his Christian devotees.
Not sure, but it appears this is a Lee Greenwood Bible, published in 2021.
And other details, like, DJT won’t profit from sales. The “Vulture Media” .. does not rest.

“Trump promotes Lee Greenwood's 'God Bless The USA Bible': What to know about the book and its long journey”
https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/r ... 108453007/

https://www.deseret.com/2023/12/18/2399 ... tmas-tour/
Grace wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 pm
temporal1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:59 pm i’m surprised you let him get to you like you do. he really gets under some peoples’ skin, i realize that.
i don’t plan to purchase, nor do i know anyone i expect would purchase it. it’s so easy to ignore.

what’s the nickname for (cough) “Catholic” biden+cronies? - Carnalist~in~Chief?

promotion, protection, funding of abortion, child mutilation, every carnal sin imaginable? with public monies, not voluntary purchases.

at least Catholics on the USSC haven’t totally lost their minds.
Carnalist-in chief is too mild to describe the current president. :(

From emboldening a murderous dictator costing the lives of thousands, to empowering nations who fund the murderous Hamas, who rape, cook babies alive, torture people etc.. Also promoting killing unborn babies, mutilating children, and pushes horrible policies, etc.

I would rather see an ungodly president who has a Bible in his hands than one who has the blood of thousands on his hands.
i have to agree with you, and, add, even your notes are too mild/conservative to describe how bad things are with biden (and the DNC cabal) in the White House.

Clint Eastwood might need to update his quote about who/what is the greatest hoax/fraud perpetrated on the American people.

“California is making fentanyl test strips free to organizations. How to get a kit”
https://www.aol.com/news/california-mak ... 46080.html

The level of deception, distraction, its effectiveness to draw people in, is shocking.
i have to believe it’s all about big lobbies, profits, power. What else could drive this madness?

i live in illinois, michigan, washington. i’ve never seen one person wear a MAGA hat or shirt, i don’t see MAGA bumper stickers, no yard signs, i sometimes wonder if MAGA isn’t a media construct? .. i admit to seeing some Trump yard signs when driving through rural NW Indiana.

i recall after the 2016 SURPRISE, one local businessman i spoke with told me he always put up a political sign near election times, BUT NOT in 2016. He didn’t want to attract lib VANDALS to his property. Another person, a truck driver, said he noticed this behavior “all over,” that is, people supporting Trump, but not showing it - to avoid lib attacks/backlash.

i believe them. this is a sad state of affairs.

i still have no plans to buy this Bible.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:42 am And other details, like, DJT won’t profit from sales. The “Vulture Media” .. does not rest.
Actually, DJT does profit from sales, as the article in the OP points out:
An FAQ section on the Bible website says no profits will go to Trump's reelection campaign. "GodBlessTheUSABible.com is not political and has nothing to do with any political campaign," it says.

However, the site adds that it uses Trump's name, likeness and image "under paid license from CIC Ventures LLC."

Trump is listed as the manager, president, secretary and treasurer of CIC Ventures LLC in a financial disclosure from last year.
Interesting that a Bible needs to use Trump's name, likeness, and image. And pay Trump for doing that.
Last edited by Bootstrap on Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 am What are some of the titles of said cultural markers?
Let's go look for cultural markers ...

Here's the website for the Bible. To me, it really does look like mostly cultural political markers.

https://godblesstheusabible.com

From the FAQ:
What Makes this Bible Unique and special?

First and foremost, The God Bless The USA Bible is the ONLY Bible inspired by America’s most recognized patriotic anthem, God Bless The USA.

The Bible also features a copy of:
  • Handwritten chorus to “God Bless The USA” by Lee Greenwood.
  • United States Constitution
  • Declaration of Independence
  • Bill of Rights
  • The Pledge of Allegiance
Well well, a Bible that was inspired by a patriotic song! That's a new take on 2 Timothy 3:16-17! I don't think the site mentions Jesus once. I don't think it says anything at all about the Bible from a Christian perspective.

Look at the images on the site. Here are the first two - can you spot any cultural markers here?

Last edited by Bootstrap on Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Bootstrap wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:18 am
temporal1 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:42 am And other details, like, DJT won’t profit from sales. The “Vulture Media” .. does not rest.
Actually, DJT does profit from sales, as the article in the OP points out:
An FAQ section on the Bible website says no profits will go to Trump's reelection campaign. "GodBlessTheUSABible.com is not political and has nothing to do with any political campaign," it says.

However, the site adds that it uses Trump's name, likeness and image "under paid license from CIC Ventures LLC."

Trump is listed as the manager, president, secretary and treasurer of CIC Ventures LLC in a financial disclosure from last year.
In this case, i doubt this will add up to much. Every little bit counts.
In my small experience, no paid advertising touches the value of word-of-mouth references (at no cost).
When it comes to word-of-mouth, the Vulture Media and consumers, keep DJT rolling in profits. i’m apathetic. Interesting to witness, though.

i have no plans to buy this Bible. Or even to view it.
i can’t control what others do.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

There have been quite a few articles over the years about how Trump describes Christians in private. Looking at the "God Bless the USA", I can't help thinking of them.

Here's one:

https://www.the-independent.com/news/wo ... 97181.html
However, despite Mr Trump’s public praise for Christians, some of his former colleagues and aides told Mr Coppins that he speaks differently about them in private.

One of the president’s former colleagues told Mr Coppins that Mr Trump viewed evangelical leaders as a group that could be bought off from the outset of his campaign for US president.

“His view was ‘I’ve been talking to these people for years; I’ve let them stay at my hotels—they’re gonna endorse me. I played the game,’” one former colleague claimed.

The president’s former attorney, Michael Cohen, who recently released a memoir about his time working for Mr Trump, named Disloyal, told Mr Coppins that he would be respectful of religious leaders in person.

However, he claimed that after one meeting with pastors where the president followed tradition, Mr Trump looked pleased with the “scam,” and told Mr Cohen that the pastor was “full of s***.”

Mr Cohen claimed that the president added: “They’re all hustlers.”

Additionally, former aides to the president told Mr Coppins that he would often ridicule Christian leaders in private and would dismiss the groups with cartoonish stereotypes about their doctrines.

Despite the Pew Research Centre finding that white evangelicals are more than twice as likely to say the president is religious, those who have worked closely with him doubt that is the case.

Barbara Res, a former executive at the Trump Organisation, said: “He’s not a religious guy,” and added: “I always assumed he was an atheist.”

Mary Trump, the president’s niece who recently released a critical memoir about her relationship with the president, told Mr Coppins that she does not believe his praise for religious groups is sincere.

“Whenever I see a picture of him standing in a group of pastors, all of their hands on him, I see a thought bubble [with] the words ‘What suckers,’” she said.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

He just earned $3-$4 billion this week in stock for Truth Social. I’m amazed that he messes with $60 bibles. It can’t be that much money. I think the Bible’s and shoes mean that he just really enjoys this sort of thing, and that is why he does it - not the money.
0 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

I must be getting old. I remember when evangelicals were roundly upset at the President holding a Bible when he walked into a church service because it represented an attempt to benefit by association with religious symbols.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

barnhart wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:11 pm I must be getting old. I remember when evangelicals were roundly upset at the President holding a Bible when he walked into a church service because it represented an attempt to benefit by association with religious symbols.
That is totally different. That was a Democrat

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr