The Supreme Court and the Internet

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: The Supreme Court and the Internet

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:23 pm An easy way is to subpoena a company’s business records in the event of a dispute and find out if there is intentional bias. That is indeed what happened at Twitter.
I think there's more than one take on what they found - right-wing media reported this quite differently from other media. For instance, here's what the New York Times reported:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/08/us/p ... =url-share

And this is coming out in the Supreme Court arguments, too. For instance, in the Murthy case:

Print:
https://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_argum ... 1_2c83.pdf

Audio:
https://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_argum ... 023/23-411

I've listened to all but the last 12 minutes of that. I appreciate the reasoned discussion, without shouting and political sound bites, that you get in the Supreme Court.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Boot,

I was talking about Matt Taibbi’s release of the “Twitter files”. Taibbi is not right wing.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:46 am Boot,
I was talking about Matt Taibbi’s release of the “Twitter files”. Taibbi is not right wing.
viewtopic.php?t=6227
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:46 am I was talking about Matt Taibbi’s release of the “Twitter files”. Taibbi is not right wing.
These claims have been going through the courts, and I think a lot of them have not held up well.

The "Twitter Files" were released by Elon Musk in a coordinated publicity effort. They were not obtained by subpoena. And I don't think Elon Musk is non-partisan. Taibbi did not control what Musk released, or when and how it was released. Musk was in control of all of that, and I rather think he had an agenda:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter_Files
The Twitter Files are a series of releases of select internal Twitter, Inc. documents published from December 2022 through March 2023 on Twitter. CEO Elon Musk gave the documents to journalists Matt Taibbi, Bari Weiss, Lee Fang, and authors Michael Shellenberger, David Zweig and Alex Berenson shortly after he acquired Twitter on October 27, 2022. Taibbi and Weiss coordinated the publication of the documents with Musk, releasing details of the files as a series of Twitter threads.
I think the Supreme Court hearings are the first setting where I have heard these claims evaluated by a group I consider reasonably fair. And I think that's really very important.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:17 amThe "Twitter Files" were released by Elon Musk in a coordinated publicity effort. They were not obtained by subpoena. And I don't think Elon Musk is non-partisan. Taibbi did not control what Musk released, or when and how it was released. Musk was in control of all of that, and I rather think he had an agenda:
Could you share with us which partisan affiliation Musk has?
The Twitter Files are a series of releases of select internal Twitter, Inc. documents published from December 2022 through March 2023 on Twitter. CEO Elon Musk gave the documents to journalists Matt Taibbi, Bari Weiss, Lee Fang, and authors Michael Shellenberger, David Zweig and Alex Berenson shortly after he acquired Twitter on October 27, 2022. Taibbi and Weiss coordinated the publication of the documents with Musk, releasing details of the files as a series of Twitter threads.
I think the Supreme Court hearings are the first setting where I have heard these claims evaluated by a group I consider reasonably fair. And I think that's really very important.
In this case, a subpoena wasn't needed because Twitter, Inc. released the documents voluntarily.

I was a subscriber to Matt Taibbi's newsletter at the time and so I got my information that way, not from Twitter. Are you alleging the Twitter Files were false? What the Twitter Files showed was very clear conspiring on the part of the government and senior former management at Twitter to control what information was released.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:19 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:17 amThe "Twitter Files" were released by Elon Musk in a coordinated publicity effort. They were not obtained by subpoena. And I don't think Elon Musk is non-partisan. Taibbi did not control what Musk released, or when and how it was released. Musk was in control of all of that, and I rather think he had an agenda:
Could you share with us which partisan affiliation Musk has?
He no doubt has partisan leanings. We all do, at least those of us who are actively following politics (which Musk certainly does). But he is also a businessman as CEO and major shareholder of both Tesla and SpaceX as well as X. And he would have to be insanely stupid from a business perspective to engage directly in the election by endorsing or donating to one candidate or the other, which would make his products toxic to a portion of the other side. A more ordinary CEO who flies under the radar and isn't in the news can probably be more free about their partisan preferences. But Elon has made himself the public figure of all of his companies and so he can't fly under the radar politically.

So will Elon endorse either candidate or make major donations to one side or the other? Probably not unless he wants to tank his Tesla sales. But does he have partisan preferences? Most certainly. And they probably aren't that hidden.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

As a generalization, big money/big industry leans left in the beginning when they have more to gain through disruption and mature right as they have increasingly more to loose and wish for legal protection.
0 x