Will the issues you care about be priorities for a Trump-family run RNC?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Will the issues you care about be priorities for a Trump-family run RNC?

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:36 pm There might be fewer Republicans here than you think.
Personally, I think the establishment Republican institution is hopelessly corrupt and the sooner it’s gone, the better.
I think it is safe to say that Conservative Anabaptists tilt Republican even if they aren't registered as such or think of themselves as members of the Republican party. That is certainly the case in my own family and one can see that pattern replicated when one looks at the voting patterns of places like Holmes County or Mifflin County. And yes, I know not everyone votes. But one can have partisan opinions without voting.

There is also the separate issue of Trump and his takeover of the Republican Party which is what this thread is about. I should think that Christians who hold conservative Republican-leaning values but are not partisan Republicans should be dismayed at the direction of the party in the past several years with the now complete takeover by MAGA Trump Republicans and the expulsion of anyone not toing the Trump line.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Conservative Anabaptists, generally speaking, do not care about party level goings on such as whoever is in charge of the RNC. I don’t even know who my local county level Republican Party chair is.

You might as well try to get you average Republican worked up and concerned about, say, the direction Eastern or the Beachys are going.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:09 pm Conservative Anabaptists, generally speaking, do not care about party level goings on such as whoever is in charge of the RNC. I don’t even know who my local county level Republican Party chair is.
Which probably makes you no different from 95% of Republican voters in the country who don't know those things either.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Jazman wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:08 pm But I find it interesting that there isn't some level of outrage or concern among you about things like this...
So you are outraged that not everyone is outraged? :)

It's not a good thing, obviously. But it's what happens in politics. It's barely even surprising, let alone outrageous. It's a great example of why not to be part of the political system in any form.
3 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Good observation OJ. Outrage or anger is more for those who feel they are being wronged or cheated out of something that they deserve, or who trust the political system to save them from all the chaos.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Not that I care much, but no leading candidate has been fined 4544 million dollars in a summary judgement that he did not have an ability to even mount a defense. No one in history has been charged as he has.

I wonder of the list Jazman gave in the report is really all that different from the standard way things are run in the DNC and RNC. I would not contribute to either. I don't contribute to any political causes or people. I still plan to write in Ramaswamy.

Conservative people do lean conservative. Strange how that works. Just like Elon said, "I am not leaning towards anyone, but I am leaning away from Biden."

I lean away from the pro-abortion, war mongering, immigrantion mess of party. That does not mean I lean towards Trump. I just want there to be a fair treatment of all.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Robert wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:25 am Not that I care much, but no leading candidate has been fined 4544 million dollars in a summary judgement that he did not have an ability to even mount a defense. No one in history has been charged as he has.
Even Trump has not.
0 x
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

ohio jones wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:36 pm
Jazman wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:08 pm But I find it interesting that there isn't some level of outrage or concern among you about things like this...
So you are outraged that not everyone is outraged? :)

It's not a good thing, obviously. But it's what happens in politics. It's barely even surprising, let alone outrageous. It's a great example of why not to be part of the political system in any form.
I was not intending to sound outraged... I'm not. But I am perplexed... and there are a number of participants of this forum who are 'involved' in partisan politics, if at the least emotionally... Apparently you are not one of them, so this whole thread then isn't really asking you the question. Therefore it's meant for those who are more 'involved' in some degree and is intended to invite their pondering of the situation. So far nobody I had in mind has really replied to or dealt specifically with the question presented.
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

Robert wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:25 am Not that I care much, but no leading candidate has been fined 4544 million dollars in a summary judgement that he did not have an ability to even mount a defense. No one in history has been charged as he has.

I wonder of the list Jazman gave in the report is really all that different from the standard way things are run in the DNC and RNC. I would not contribute to either. I don't contribute to any political causes or people. I still plan to write in Ramaswamy.

Conservative people do lean conservative. Strange how that works. Just like Elon said, "I am not leaning towards anyone, but I am leaning away from Biden."

I lean away from the pro-abortion, war mongering, immigrantion mess of party. That does not mean I lean towards Trump. I just want there to be a fair treatment of all.
Fair points, especially about the "standard way things are run in the DNC and RNC" Some of the stuff I've read gives the impression that this situation is leaning extraordinary, but you may be correct.
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Jazman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:47 pm

Fair points, especially about the "standard way things are run in the DNC and RNC" Some of the stuff I've read gives the impression that this situation is leaning extraordinary, but you may be correct.
I think a reason why this is newsworthy is because it is highly unusual for one of party's funds to go to pay a candidate's legal bills. The legality of this is iffy.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford