Will the issues you care about be priorities for a Trump-family run RNC?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Will the issues you care about be priorities for a Trump-family run RNC?

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:16 pm Meanwhile, in the actual real world, Trump seems to be exerting more and more influence over the Republican House, not less.
He only has to exert influence over about 5 of them to bring the whole place to a screeching halt because the GOP majority is so slim. Down to about 3 members now, or less. And they foolishly agreed to rules that allow just one member to bring the speakership up for a vote.

It used to be the Senate was the place where bills go to die. But this year it is the House for that reason.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

Grace wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:21 pm
I'm curious how some may feel about the further Trumpification of the GOP's national leadership...
How will your priority issues or how will the red team win close, down-ballet races if dear leader gets most or all the attention and money?
The term "dear leader" is often used in reference to North Korea's Kim Jong and Kim Jong Un. Both were and are murderous dictators, with no regard for the lives of people. My question to you is, how many people under the former president, who you compare to a murderous dictator, have died because he emboldened Putin to go into a murderous war with Ukraine? Which president empowered Iran, who funds murderous Hamas? Hamas who raped women, and cooked babies alive. Which president, the current one or the former one, has opened the border to the extents that it has cost the lives of many, not only those crossing the border, but also people like Laken Riley.
This thread isn't about the current president... it is about the practical policy concerns and their possibility for success or failure if the GOP/RNC is lead-managed by the Trump family... I invite you to ponder that and respond to that question, instead of being distracted by what the DNC / Biden might be doing now or has done in the past.

Finally, the term "dear leader" will have different connotations for different people. The way I intended to use it here was so much in the sense you suggest, but was intended to speak more to do with what/how the leader's fans/adherents are thinking, believing and acting... 7-8 yrs of observing Trumpism and its base have given me enough evidence to believe that the term "dear leader" is appropriate. I've also heard enough (wishing to harm others physically and dehumanization of others) coming from some of Trumpism's followers/influencers, that I believe if given the right circumstances and dropping of boundaries, that something like the connotation you're referring to, would probably happen.
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Jazman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:47 am
Grace wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:21 pm
I'm curious how some may feel about the further Trumpification of the GOP's national leadership...
How will your priority issues or how will the red team win close, down-ballet races if dear leader gets most or all the attention and money?
The term "dear leader" is often used in reference to North Korea's Kim Jong and Kim Jong Un. Both were and are murderous dictators, with no regard for the lives of people. My question to you is, how many people under the former president, who you compare to a murderous dictator, have died because he emboldened Putin to go into a murderous war with Ukraine? Which president empowered Iran, who funds murderous Hamas? Hamas who raped women, and cooked babies alive. Which president, the current one or the former one, has opened the border to the extents that it has cost the lives of many, not only those crossing the border, but also people like Laken Riley.
This thread isn't about the current president... it is about the practical policy concerns and their possibility for success or failure if the GOP/RNC is lead-managed by the Trump family... I invite you to ponder that and respond to that question, instead of being distracted by what the DNC / Biden might be doing now or has done in the past.

Finally, the term "dear leader" will have different connotations for different people. The way I intended to use it here was so much in the sense you suggest, but was intended to speak more to do with what/how the leader's fans/adherents are thinking, believing and acting... 7-8 yrs of observing Trumpism and its base have given me enough evidence to believe that the term "dear leader" is appropriate. I've also heard enough (wishing to harm others physically and dehumanization of others) coming from some of Trumpism's followers/influencers, that I believe if given the right circumstances and dropping of boundaries, that something like the connotation you're referring to, would probably happen.
I don't buy the excuses and back pedaling. "Dear Leader" is a term used for murderous dictators who have had thousands of people murdered, something that Trump has not done. As I said more people have been murdered under the Biden policies, than Trump's policies. I can't support Trump, but when lies and false insinuations are promoted I will call them out. If elected Trump will not become a murderous dictator, any more than Biden will. It is true that Biden's policies promotes a satanic culture of death and destruction, but he won't become a dictator.

As for pondering the question, LOL I view the thread as just another "Trash Trump" thread. I don't fault anyone for starting a thread as such, but there is nothing to ponder about that.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Grace wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:13 amI don't buy the excuses and back pedaling. "Dear Leader" is a term used for murderous dictators who have had thousands of people murdered, something that Trump has not done. As I said more people have been murdered under the Biden policies, than Trump's policies. I can't support Trump, but when lies and false insinuations are promoted I will call them out. If elected Trump will not become a murderous dictator, any more than Biden will. It is true that Biden's policies promotes a satanic culture of death and destruction, but he won't become a dictator.
Oh come on. The "dear leader" references are to the fawning obsequiousness that Trump people are required to show around him. It was a bizarre spectacle during his entire presidency and one that was frequently noted in the press at the time. REPUBLICANS were the one to notice it the most because they were the ones closest to him. Starting on the very first day of his presidency when his staff were forced to embarrass themselves by going out in public and absurdly claiming that Trump had bigger crowds at his inauguration than Obama.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/ ... mp-1287366
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/10 ... ie-grisham
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/30/opin ... penga.html
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/03 ... s-coverage
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Jazman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:47 am This thread isn't about the current president... it is about the practical policy concerns and their possibility for success or failure if the GOP/RNC is lead-managed by the Trump family... I invite you to ponder that and respond to that question, instead of being distracted by what the DNC / Biden might be doing now or has done in the past.

I would suggest you let go of your obsession with thinking about Trump. It’s not healthy.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:10 pmI would suggest you let go of your obsession with thinking about Trump. It’s not healthy.
Yes, Trump obsession isn't healthy. Of that I think we can agree

1 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

Ken wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:03 pm
Grace wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:13 amI don't buy the excuses and back pedaling. "Dear Leader" is a term used for murderous dictators who have had thousands of people murdered, something that Trump has not done. As I said more people have been murdered under the Biden policies, than Trump's policies. I can't support Trump, but when lies and false insinuations are promoted I will call them out. If elected Trump will not become a murderous dictator, any more than Biden will. It is true that Biden's policies promotes a satanic culture of death and destruction, but he won't become a dictator.
Oh come on. The "dear leader" references are to the fawning obsequiousness that Trump people are required to show around him. It was a bizarre spectacle during his entire presidency and one that was frequently noted in the press at the time. REPUBLICANS were the one to notice it the most because they were the ones closest to him. Starting on the very first day of his presidency when his staff were forced to embarrass themselves by going out in public and absurdly claiming that Trump had bigger crowds at his inauguration than Obama.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/ ... mp-1287366
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/10 ... ie-grisham
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/30/opin ... penga.html
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/03 ... s-coverage

It is a fact that those who have a hatred for Trump call him “dear leader” in an attempt to equate him to a murderous dictator. But no matter how many excuses and attempts at white washing the degrading name, it originates from a real murderous dictator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Jong_ ... 0Leader%22.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... kname.html
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontlin ... chell.html
https://www.britannica.com/summary/Kim-Jong-Il
0 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

Yes, Trump obsession isn't healthy. Of that I think we can agree
That I can agree with. The obsession with him is disgusting. However that still doesn't excuse equating him to a murderous dictator. You do realize some call Biden that as well. Except for when he isn't jacked up with some energizing juice, he certainly doesn't come across as a dictator. Just a sad looking old man who has to be lead around by his handlers.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Grace wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:27 pm It is a fact that those who have a hatred for Trump call him “dear leader” in an attempt to equate him to a murderous dictator. But no matter how many excuses and attempts at white washing the degrading name, it originates from a real murderous dictator.
No, actually they aren't. It is mockery to sure. And well deserved. But people are mocking Trump's fragile ego and the obsequiousness of his followers, who are terrified of telling him the truth. They are mocking the cult of personality around Trump. It is the emperor has no clothes phenomenon. The fact that during his presidency he surrounded himself with sycophants trained to praise him and tell him only what he wants to hear. Starting on his first day of office when his press representatives were paraded out to blatantly lie about the size of his inauguration crowd and followed by his absolutely cringeworthy first cabinet meeting that was pure "Dear Leader" behavior.

And who can forget this display of ridiculousness when Trump went on national TV with a sharpie'd in weather map to support his contention that Hurricane Dorian was going to hit Alabama despite forecast tracks to the contrary. Pathetic for a science agency to grovel like that.

But the biggest example of sycophantry was all the toadies who lied up behind Trump from November 2020 - January 2021 to stand behind his delusion that he had actually won the election and had it stolen from him by fraud. Not just the obvious toadies like Rudy Giuliani who immolated, himself and his reputation sucking up to Trump. But all the politicians who did the same to the detriment of the party. Here in SW Washington we had a relatively decent moderate Republican Congresswoman who would have cruised to easy victory in 2022 but who was primaried out of office by a rabid election-denying Trumper. Who went on to lose the most Republican-leaning seat in the entire country to a novice Democrat who had never run for office before. This same sycophantry almost certainly lost the Senate for the GOP in 2020 and 2022 when the GOP was forced to get behind Trump's ridiculous pick of Hershel Walker for Senate.

As for what this means for the RNC? It means good things for Democrats of course. Because when the Trumps get done looting the place and larding it up with Trump toadies it will only hurt the effectiveness of the organization to support all other candidates up and down the ballot not named Trump.

Trump had 40 cabinet appointees confirmed and acting during his four years in office. Of those 40, only four have come out to endorse him for 2024. Neither will many of his former staffers. Those are the people who knew him best. And practically none of them can even bring themselves to even endorse him. Not even his Vice President. Instead they are more likely to write books about how unfit he is for office.

That is what people are talking when they mockingly use the term "Dear Leader" to refer to Trump and his sycophants.
1 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

The 1950's smoke filled back rooms full of party bosses who chose the candidates is starting to appeal to me. I doubt they woud have chosen either candidate running today. Would they have chosen worse, probably not. Bring back powerful parties, I've had enough populism. (at least until something worse comes along, then I 'll fondly remember the 2020's)
2 x