State of the Union Addresses

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: State of the Union Addresses

Post by Robert »

Well, well. Look what I came across.

0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Robert wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:29 am Well, well. Look what I came across.

Same old, same old. I remember as a child reading the book "Old Yeller". Later I enjoyed the Movie, titled the same. These days Biden has gotten the same name. He is old and he yells, like we saw on Thursday evening. Disclaimer: The vile language the President uses is posted in these articles.
https://www.axios.com/2023/07/10/biden- ... -president
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

That’s too bad he uses foul language.

When I was growing we used to listen to an opening speech of Parliament, Christmas speeches and then later to the State of the Union. No cuss words were used.

I guess I can’t raise my kids ever listening to the State of the Union as I don’t want them to hear an authority figure using foul language, and I don’t want to teach them to disrespect authority figures or have to explain what they’re doing is wrong at such a young age.
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

I agree with others - this was more about campaigning than legislating. You don't come out that combative if you are working on legislative compromises.

I think Biden succeeded in being more vigorous and clear-speaking than at other times of late - I'm sure that was deliberate. I wonder if he chugged a Red Bull or two. :) Unfortunately, he still tends to slur his words when his mouth gets ahead of his brain - which doesn't help him look youthful.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Dan Z wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:26 am I agree with others - this was more about campaigning than legislating. You don't come out that combative if you are working on legislative compromises.

I think Biden succeeded in being more vigorous and clear-speaking than at other times of late - I'm sure that was deliberate. I wonder if he chugged a Red Bull or two. :) Unfortunately, he still tends to slur his words when his mouth gets ahead of his brain - which doesn't help him look youthful.
I think the GOP is actually doing Biden a favor by constantly and endlessly harping about his supposed senility and fragility. When they do that they are actually pushing the bar lower and lower to the point that all Biden has to do is walk out and look reasonably lucid and enthusiastic and isn't drooling and the disengaged middle that actually decide elections are going to say to themselves "Oh, he actually looks fine to me"

It isn't the partisans on either side who decide elections. They already have their minds made up. It is the disengaged apolitical middle who vote mostly on gut instinct and whichever way the winds are blowing.

The Democrats made the same mistake way back in 1984 when they were endlessly harping about Reagan's age and supposed dementia. And then when Reagan finally hit the campaign trail and debates against Mondale people were like "Oh, he's just a genial grandfatherly type, he looks just fine" and Reagan swept to victory.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

One person's opinion.

0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

I will post clips without commentary.

0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Interesting fact: men can’t wear hats on the Senate due to tradition, but that doesn’t apply to women. (The House has a similar rule but it was passed in 1837 and applied to both men and women, probably because nobody was thinking about women back then.)
1 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

Joe Biden has now gone on television and is expressing regret for calling Laken Riley's murderer an" illegal". This beautiful young lady who aspired to be a nurse was brutally murdered and he has regrets for labeling her evil murderer wrongly.

All the shouting and hollering in the State of the Union Adress was at Americans. He didn't shout about Putin, or the cartels, or at the leaders of Hamas, but mostly at the American people who don't agree with him. He even threatened the Supreme Court Justices.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Dan Z wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:26 am I agree with others -
this was more about campaigning than legislating.
You don't come out that combative if you are working on legislative compromises.
Not presidential.
DJT did well with his SOTU speeches. i listened because “word was” they would be awful. They weren’t.

Wrt rude/crude behavior, N Pelosi cannot be outdone, tearing up his speech for drama.
Grace wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:00 pm Joe Biden has now gone on television and is expressing regret for calling Laken Riley's murderer an" illegal". :(
This beautiful young lady who aspired to be a nurse was brutally murdered and he has regrets for labeling her evil murderer wrongly.

All the shouting and hollering in the State of the Union [Address] was at Americans.
He didn't shout about Putin, or the cartels, or at the leaders of Hamas, but mostly at the American people who don't agree with him.
He even threatened the Supreme Court Justices. :evil:
A sad state of affairs.
i haven’t watched in full. i feel i should. i’m not sure i’m able.

i saw him speak of Laken Riley and her illegal alien murderer, i was appreciative he used the correct word, illegal. No controversy.
That didn’t last.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN