State of the Union Addresses

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: State of the Union Addresses

Post by Josh »

Based on the clips I've seen of this SOTU address and the analysis of it, it looks like I made a good decision to keep listening to yet another SOTU address.

I did watch one from Trump during COVID when he announced the COVID lockdowns. In retrospect, I would have been better off skipping that one, as well.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

I don't think I have listened to or watched one since the early Obama days.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

I generally avoid the State of the Union. Most of the time, it's some version of a campaign speech, especially during an election year. I can't think of the last time that a speech was unifying or transcendened the moment.
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

As far as I can remember, I have never listened to one.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I watched this one for the entertainment provided from behind and from in front of the President. Thanks to multiple cameras zooming in on folks.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Szdfan wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:24 pm I generally avoid the State of the Union. Most of the time, it's some version of a campaign speech, especially during an election year. I can't think of the last time that a speech was unifying or transcendened the moment.
I agree with your synopsis. I watch them every year. While I do not get all involved in either party, I love to watch as a spectator.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

Szdfan wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:24 pm I generally avoid the State of the Union. Most of the time, it's some version of a campaign speech, especially during an election year. I can't think of the last time that a speech was unifying or transcendened the moment.
Do you think it's always been this way, or has it devolved? - at least in our lifetimes (and that limited perspective). I don't know if I've ever watched a full one recently and nor have I watched or listened to older ones before my life time.(40-50+ yrs)
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Jazman wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:28 am
Do you think it's always been this way, or has it devolved? - at least in our lifetimes (and that limited perspective). I don't know if I've ever watched a full one recently and nor have I watched or listened to older ones before my life time.(40-50+ yrs)
I haven't watched enough of these to really know, but I imagine that as the politics of the US have degraded, so have the speeches as well. I can't imagine that heckling the president during the SOTU would have been accepted at one point.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Szdfan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:26 am I haven't watched enough of these to really know, but I imagine that as the politics of the US have degraded, so have the speeches as well. I can't imagine that heckling the president during the SOTU would have been accepted at one point.
I can remember all the way back tot he Clinton SOTU speeches. They were similar experiences. One side cheered. One side sat stone faced. I can remember someone hollering out in many.

Few were as angry as the recent one. They are usually more positive with a vail of attempt to be uniting.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Jazman wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:28 am Do you think it's always been this way, or has it devolved? - at least in our lifetimes (and that limited perspective). I don't know if I've ever watched a full one recently and nor have I watched or listened to older ones before my life time.(40-50+ yrs)
I haven't been watching so I can't offer an opinion, but the government system in general is slipping further from my field of interest. I used to follow the primaries because I considered that more representative of the national mood than the actual election. Right now neither offers much interest for me. Predictable, boring, trapped in amber...
0 x