State of the Union Addresses

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Re: State of the Union Addresses

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Ken wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:42 pm I don't know who they are. Do you?

Probably some ranking members of the House who have parliamentary roles of some sort like House clerk or parliamentarian.

I didn't watch the speech so can't comment on the content.

This is last year's SOTU. Not that it matters, but I just noticed.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Moses
Affiliation: Jewish

Post by Moses »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:46 am
Ken wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:42 pm I don't know who they are. Do you?

Probably some ranking members of the House who have parliamentary roles of some sort like House clerk or parliamentarian.

I didn't watch the speech so can't comment on the content.

That's interesting. I'm positive the first picture Ken posted last evening in this thread was of the 2024 SOTU and he said it was the VP and Speaker.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

You are correct. I googled 2024 state of the union and that was what popped up and I didn't notice it was Kevin McCarthy there and not Mike Johnson.

But I do think those two other people are the House Clerk and Parliamentarian. After some searching, it appears that this is the correct photo from this year's SOTU. The guy on the left is the same, the guy on the right is different.

Biden must be well preserved because he looks like he is wearing the identical suit and tie and is in the same exact pose. The others have changed their clothes and ties.

Last edited by Ken on Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:14 pm The guy on the left is the same, the guy on the right is different.
The "guy" last year was Cheryl Johnson.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Ken wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:14 pm
You are correct. I googled 2024 state of the union and that was what popped up and I didn't notice it was Kevin McCarthy there and not Mike Johnson.

But I do think those two other people are the House Clerk and Parliamentarian. After some searching, it appears that this is the correct photo from this year's SOTU. The guy on the left is the same, the guy on the right is different.

Biden must be well preserved because he looks like he is wearing the identical suit and tie and is in the same exact pose. The others have changed their clothes and ties.

I thought the same thing about Biden's suit and appearance as well.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Did you delete the 2024 and insert the 2023 last evening?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:47 pm
Did you delete the 2024 and insert the 2023 last evening?
I was editing my post to add a comment and somehow deleted the original picture link. Then went out to find the link to it again but apparently found the wrong link and so inadvertently changed it without realizing it.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I noticed this discrepancy right away, because I stood behind my wife for a bit, watching Johnson's face for his reactions as the president became more and more politically abusive and began saying things which I suspected were either incorrect or twisted in some way. (And No, I do not plan to listen again to create a list. I just heard bits and pieces of it as I passed through several times where her computer is, and watched for a bit each time. It is not worth my time.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

A really interesting article about a possible former parliamentarian.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... n-00145314
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I listened to the speech today. Very partisan and more a campaign speech than a State of the Union speech. I am sure may other politicians have done the same. The interesting thing is many of the points he hit, he said last year almost the exact same way. It was like the took last year's speech and just added a few new things to it.

Just as last year's it will be lost in history.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.