"Make America Great Again" - now a song for churches

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

"Make America Great Again" - now a song for churches

Post by Bootstrap »

https://songselect.ccli.com is a service for finding worship music. Here's a new song for worship services:

https://songselect.ccli.com/Songs/70790 ... reat-again
Make America great again
Make America great again
Lift the torch of freedom all across the land
Step into the future joining hand in hand
And make America great again
Yes make America great (again)
This was sung (I assume for the first time) at the Celebrate Freedom Rally with Pastor Robert Jeffress, held in honor of President Trump. Interesting Youtube video ...
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Gene
Affiliation: CMC

Re: "Make America Great Again" - now a song for churches

Post by Gene »

Given the repetitiveness, at least of the quoted part it should blend in fine with the contemporary mess we currently are enduring with varying degrees of patience, though to be honest, I am tempted to suspect that had Job been exposed to the travails of a modern music service, the book may have been more a lesson on the inevitable breakdown of a person's mental stability given extreme torment, rather than an illustration of patience under duress. Rather than referring to the patience of Job we may have considered the triumph of his wife, as the affliction of praise and worship music would have certainly destroyed the sanity of even this longsuffering hero, causing the repudiation of his deity. Sorry, but that's the way I sees it. ;)
0 x
TeleBodyofChrist
Affiliation: Christian

Post by TeleBodyofChrist »

I do not like the connotations of the phrase and how it is being used lately. I wonder if the churches that would sing this understand the triggers this phrase and the present environment cause for people.
0 x
Let’s read the whole bible together in 30 days!
If interested you can view my profile and go to my website.

2 Tim. 3:16-17
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

I think Donald loved that speech so much he couldn't help but give himself a hand. :) I loved watching the white haired lady behind Donald. What a fine example of a stoic Baptist ! I joke. I love my Baptist brothers and sisters in the Lord. Too bad John Calvin messed up their theology. :) I just watched Donald's speech and am really glad Donald will defend saying prayers before a football game. I was worried about that right going away. Sorry, I'm in one of those sarcastic moods. :oops:
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

TeleBodyofChrist wrote:I do not like the connotations of the phrase and how it is being used lately. I wonder if the churches that would sing this understand the triggers this phrase and the present environment cause for people.
In some cases the trigger is exactly why they sing it. A couple left my former (Non-Mennonite) church because they found out that two of the leaders (Including me) were registered democrats. It was apparently seen as one of the most ungodly things that could have happened!

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

This looks to me like another thread about how wrong other people are.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Gene

Post by Gene »

PeterG wrote:This looks to me like another thread about how wrong other people are.
Isn't that why the internet exists?
0 x
Gene

Post by Gene »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
TeleBodyofChrist wrote:I do not like the connotations of the phrase and how it is being used lately. I wonder if the churches that would sing this understand the triggers this phrase and the present environment cause for people.
In some cases the trigger is exactly why they sing it. A couple left my former (Non-Mennonite) church because they found out that two of the leaders (Including me) were registered democrats. It was apparently seen as one of the most ungodly things that could have happened!

J.M.
Having endured, at least in our own perception, years of having our political beliefs treated with something between disrespect and downright vilification, conservatives may be excused for entertaining the temptation to rub the liberal nose in the triumph, such as it is, the right currently enjoys.
At the risk of celebrating a past that never actually was, I more and more suspect that we had it right when we thought the church should stay out of politics completely, even abstaining from voting.
Of course all right thinking persons should be properly appalled that a registered Democrat!! (I assume you did not intend "small d democrat", with which we all identify) has invaded this last sacred bastion of right wing conservatism, demolishing a carefully constructed purity, honed over many years. You will be prayed for. ;)
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Gene wrote:
PeterG wrote:This looks to me like another thread about how wrong other people are.
Isn't that why the internet exists?
:rofl:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Gene wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:

J.M.
Having endured, at least in our own perception, years of having our political beliefs treated with something between disrespect and downright vilification, conservatives may be excused for entertaining the temptation to rub the liberal nose in the triumph, such as it is, the right currently enjoys.
At the risk of celebrating a past that never actually was, I more and more suspect that we had it right when we thought the church should stay out of politics completely, even abstaining from voting.
Of course all right thinking persons should be properly appalled that a registered Democrat!! (I assume you did not intend "small d democrat", with which we all identify) has invaded this last sacred bastion of right wing conservatism, demolishing a carefully constructed purity, honed over many years. You will be prayed for. ;)
I happen to be a registered Republican, always have been. I'm neither proud, nor ashamed of that. I hope that most people that are truly Christian, would not be behaving as this suggests- to rub anyone's nose in anything, is not Christ like at all. The Christians I associate with that were thankful that the Democrats did not win the presidential position- had many reasons that we believe that Christ Himself would agree with- working towards ending abortion, an attempt to stop the madness of the direction of the atheist agenda, the homosexual agenda, etc- it's understandable why you believe Christians should just let the trainwreck of morality continue without trying to make any difference in it, but we do so as Christ prayed Thy Kingdom Come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven- there was some hope that keeping the democrat candidate, who then has the position of nominating their choice for Supreme Court judges- which in turn make many decisions for the moral direction of the country-by ways of laws and freedoms- OUT of the President's office- and to have a president that chose a strong Christian running mate- just might turn some of the immoral direction back the right direction. No one has to agree here about this, but- just to convey- many of us are not rubbing anyone's nose in it but are thankful, praying, and hoping the next generation has a chance of not having their noses rubbed (and their minds brainwashed) in the belief that immorality is normal. And exalted.
Just sharing other Christians perspective on this, and saying we are not all in that camp of gloating, heaven forbid.
0 x