Focusing on the positive

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Focusing on the positive

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:Let's find something positive to say about young people today and the future generation.
impossible! :twisted:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Seems to me the way capitalism works here is to promote an immediate satisfying need that will be shortly enjoyed as another, even better, satisfying need is presented. It must keep people experiencing short periods of satisfaction followed by short periods of dissatisfaction. Being grateful for what we have at any point in time is immediately threatened by what we are now missing out on.

"But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people." 2 Timothy 3:1-5

Seems to me the one thing I can say about this upcoming generation is that this text describes them in our culture and the positive side of this is that where sin abounds grace abounds all the more. Nothing is impossible with God. God alone can change the desires of our hearts to be grateful, holy, loving, forgiving, self-controlled, gentle, humble, joyful, at peace, unselfish, giving, encouraging, faithful, prayerful and many other positive areas. He is building His Kingdom and we live by faith and not by sight.

The positive is in what God can do and to live in faith that He will accomplish what He intends to accomplish before He returns and be available to be a means that He may use in this.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:Let's find something positive to say about young people today and the future generation.
I'm a little familiar with the non-profit world, and I'm struck by how many young people are passionately interested in the few paid positions that would let them help people, positions that often pay very little money. So much so that those jobs are very hard to get.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:
I'm a little familiar with the non-profit world, and I'm struck by how many young people are passionately interested in the few paid positions that would let them help people, positions that often pay very little money. So much so that those jobs are very hard to get.
So am I - although if anyone wants more of these jobs, there are a lot of great opportunities for service in conservative and Holdeman Mennonite organisations.

I know a few young people who teach in a city school for $300/mo plus room and board. That's really amazing to me. A few of them hold 2nd jobs they work here and there or over summers so they can have some pocket money. The biggest dividend they get are children and families with dramatically changed lives, and also relationships with the other teachers that will sometimes last a lifetime.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I ran into some amazing young people a week ago at the FB college student retreat. Young people with high ideals amazing goals and wonderful dreams. It gave me hope both for society and our churches.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

One of the best experiences I have on a Sunday morning is watching the young people enter into worship even though the music is not a style of worship that I relate to the most. There is a freedom of expression in worship that exhorts me to get my mind off myself and things of this world and to enter into a focus on God. And to hear their personal testimonies as they are baptised encourages me all the more that God is still building His Kingdom. Plus all kinds of raising of funds (car washes, barbecues, oil changes for single moms, etc, etc) are other very positive endeavours. I also am encouraged by a number of elderly Christians who see the need to be involved and supportive of our youth. Some traditions are not worth holding unto in the bigger picture of encouraging others to follow Jesus, imo.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Sudsy wrote:One of the best experiences I have on a Sunday morning is watching the young people enter into worship even though the music is not a style of worship that I relate to the most. There is a freedom of expression in worship that exhorts me to get my mind off myself and things of this world and to enter into a focus on God. And to hear their personal testimonies as they are baptised encourages me all the more that God is still building His Kingdom. Plus all kinds of raising of funds (car washes, barbecues, oil changes for single moms, etc, etc) are other very positive endeavours. I also am encouraged by a number of elderly Christians who see the need to be involved and supportive of our youth. Some traditions are not worth holding unto in the bigger picture of encouraging others to follow Jesus, imo.
But what if some people feel that the "traditions" are actually biblical principles? That's what I see happening. People brush aside the Bible principles as merely being "traditions" instead of truth to be followed. It's easy to give emotional testimonies, but what really counts is obedience to Jesus' teachings. I think in at least some cases these young people would actually be open to biblical teaching but the "elderly Christians who see the need to be involved and supportive of our youth" assure them that it doesn't matter.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

lesterb wrote:
Sudsy wrote:One of the best experiences I have on a Sunday morning is watching the young people enter into worship even though the music is not a style of worship that I relate to the most. There is a freedom of expression in worship that exhorts me to get my mind off myself and things of this world and to enter into a focus on God. And to hear their personal testimonies as they are baptised encourages me all the more that God is still building His Kingdom. Plus all kinds of raising of funds (car washes, barbecues, oil changes for single moms, etc, etc) are other very positive endeavours. I also am encouraged by a number of elderly Christians who see the need to be involved and supportive of our youth. Some traditions are not worth holding unto in the bigger picture of encouraging others to follow Jesus, imo.
But what if some people feel that the "traditions" are actually biblical principles? That's what I see happening. People brush aside the Bible principles as merely being "traditions" instead of truth to be followed. It's easy to give emotional testimonies, but what really counts is obedience to Jesus' teachings. I think in at least some cases these young people would actually be open to biblical teaching but the "elderly Christians who see the need to be involved and supportive of our youth" assure them that it doesn't matter.
For me, I'm a believer in personal convictions and trusting the Holy Spirit to bring each Christian along in sanctification as He works in them. Those who are convicted that what they do is based on Biblical principles should live that way as unto the Lord. At the same time, allow for others to learn obedience and pray for them to grow spiritually. Imo, we need to accept that some of us, like myself, learn certain areas of obedience the hard way. I'm thankful for the prayers of my parents and their love as they knew when I was taking the hard road to obedience. They never gave up on me and neither did God as He had promised.

I didn't mean to suggest that these testimonies are 'emotional testimonies' but rather testimonies on how God is working in their lives. Areas such as in trusting Him; developing a prayer life; sharing their faith; overcoming fears; caring for others; etc, etc. Those are so uplifting to see that it isn't just some emotional high they are on although a relationship with God certainly does give us many positive emotions.

Focusing back on the positive, imo, those that accommodate a modern application of some of these biblical principles are reaching the younger folk and I believe over time, these youth will develop spiritually, perhaps quicker than those who just do what and how they are told to obey. It is a test of our faith when we do not see immediate results but a belief that what is hoped for will come to pass.

I wonder is the slippery slope relaxing some of our traditional ways and allowing for growth over time via encouragements and loving each other through our spiritual growing years or is the slippery slope maintaining traditions that the next generation do not relate to and losing them completely.

For some of us further along in life, I find myself a bit anxious at times in what I was raised to consider 'worldly' . But I can take these anxious thoughts to the Lord and leave them there. As the old song says to trust and not to doubt and He will surely work things out (as it is His work anyway), we can take our concerns to the Lord and leave them there. Sooner or later we learn to trust and obey is the only way, to be happy in Jesus, when we trust and obey.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I'm encouraged by the enthusiasm of young people. The college ministries in several parishes have actively encouraged the involvement of older faithful who listen and support the spiritual needs of the youth. Because the youth feel supported, they in turn want to learn more of the traditions and teachings. It has also contributed to the re-emergence of veiling at Mass among the young ladies. In my view, that kind of intergenerational mentoring and fellowship is an important dynamic for encouraging future disciples.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:I'm encouraged by the enthusiasm of young people. The college ministries in several parishes have actively encouraged the involvement of older faithful who listen and support the spiritual needs of the youth. Because the youth feel supported, they in turn want to learn more of the traditions and teachings. It has also contributed to the re-emergence of veiling at Mass among the young ladies. In my view, that kind of intergenerational mentoring and fellowship is an important dynamic for encouraging future disciples.
Could you name a parish or two (preferrably in Ohio) where young women wear the veil during mass?

My roommate is seeking to become Catholic. The parish he was attending, its priest just left, and he is looking for a new parish now. I would like to steer him to something that is more conservative.
0 x