Focusing on the positive

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Focusing on the positive

Post by MaxPC »

Josh wrote:
MaxPC wrote:I'm encouraged by the enthusiasm of young people. The college ministries in several parishes have actively encouraged the involvement of older faithful who listen and support the spiritual needs of the youth. Because the youth feel supported, they in turn want to learn more of the traditions and teachings. It has also contributed to the re-emergence of veiling at Mass among the young ladies. In my view, that kind of intergenerational mentoring and fellowship is an important dynamic for encouraging future disciples.
Could you name a parish or two (preferrably in Ohio) where young women wear the veil during mass?

My roommate is seeking to become Catholic. The parish he was attending, its priest just left, and he is looking for a new parish now. I would like to steer him to something that is more conservative.
I don't know Ohio parishes. Some will lean more traditional than others I would think. Franciscan University at Steubenville leans traditional I hear and some of the parishes nearby follow suit. There are Latin Mass parishes run by traditionalist priests where veiling is essentially required at Mass. I don't attend those but your friend may be interested. Here's a link to a map of those.
https://fssp.com/locations/
Visiting the parish is also important. In my opinion if he's looking at conversion, he should first look for an excellent RCIA program and then look for a traditionalist parish secondarily. The two aren't necessarily synonymous.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

MaxPC wrote:
Josh wrote:
MaxPC wrote:I'm encouraged by the enthusiasm of young people. The college ministries in several parishes have actively encouraged the involvement of older faithful who listen and support the spiritual needs of the youth. Because the youth feel supported, they in turn want to learn more of the traditions and teachings. It has also contributed to the re-emergence of veiling at Mass among the young ladies. In my view, that kind of intergenerational mentoring and fellowship is an important dynamic for encouraging future disciples.
Could you name a parish or two (preferrably in Ohio) where young women wear the veil during mass?

My roommate is seeking to become Catholic. The parish he was attending, its priest just left, and he is looking for a new parish now. I would like to steer him to something that is more conservative.
I don't know Ohio parishes. Some will lean more traditional than others I would think. Franciscan University at Steubenville leans traditional I hear and some of the parishes nearby follow suit. There are Latin Mass parishes run by traditionalist priests where veiling is essentially required at Mass. I don't attend those but your friend may be interested. Here's a link to a map of those.
Visiting the parish is also important. In my opinion if he's looking at conversion, he should first look for an excellent RCIA program and then look for a traditionalist parish secondarily. The two aren't necessarily synonymous.
I like what the young Catholics in my town are doing in volunteer work, it is a good witness. I visited a parish in Hinckley for some special thing going on and one woman was veiled- she was probably middle aged, but I admired that she was willing to go against the present norm to not veil- wonder if a priest in our Ohio area, would be helpful at recommending a conservative parish for your roomate Josh? When we were seeking Orthodox, it was easy for our friend to recommend a parish where women all veiled and also dressed modest-
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:I don't know Ohio parishes. Some will lean more traditional than others I would think. Franciscan University at Steubenville leans traditional I hear and some of the parishes nearby follow suit. There are Latin Mass parishes run by traditionalist priests where veiling is essentially required at Mass. I don't attend those but your friend may be interested. Here's a link to a map of those.
The last mass I went to at Steube. U (my mother's alma mater) did not see any women wearing veiling in mass.

The last sspx mass I attended also did not have any veilings at mass. I have not been to an FSSP mass as none are very close to me (or him). The closest one is about 2 hours away.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Is it Williams Syndrome or authentic Christian faith?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017 ... ics-books/
This Rare Medical Condition Makes You Love Everyone
Not trying to make light of a real syndrome, but maybe there is something positive in the story.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

temporal1 wrote:
Josh wrote:Let's find something positive to say about young people today and the future generation.
impossible! :twisted:
The "millenials" are said to be less interested in traditional status symbols (large house, fancy car) and desire more of a "work-life balance" than earlier generations. It's a generalization by its very nature, but to the extent that it's true, I think that those attributes can be put to service in God's kingdom.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."