If your children are still n public schools, run.

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

If your children are still n public schools, run.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Somehow, this does not surprise me.

https://missmajormiddle.org/our-school

A “gender full” school?
1 x
:hug:
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: If your children are still n public schools, run.

Post by RZehr »

I wonder what the “Miss” in Miss Middle means to them.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Or maybe stay away from charter schools that aren't under any sort of local control AT ALL. This is one example of a charter school that would not be answerable to any local elected school board.

I would also note that this is only a "proposed" charter school for Brooklyn NY. They don't have funding or a location. Not even a physical address. It's basically just a web site with a fundraising appeal that some activists threw up. It is the typical charter school grift that is trying to tap into public dollars and donations to advance their own agenda. Nothing more. What happens if you donate now and the school never materializes? Will you ever see your money back? I seriously doubt it. All the money they raise will magically vanish into "administrative costs" and salaries even if this thing never gets off the ground.

There are some legit charter schools out there. I've seen a few. But a lot of them, like this one, are just a big grift--looking to cash in on public tax dollars with no public accountability or oversight.

From the link above:

and

1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

If this project gets off the ground, no children will be assigned there. Parents must apply to charter schools.
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

barnhart wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:56 pm If this project gets off the ground, no children will be assigned there. Parents must apply to charter schools.
I suppose if you are a "school choice" or voucher advocate then you should applaud this sort of thing.

Because it is, in fact, a "school choice"
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:01 pm
barnhart wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:56 pm If this project gets off the ground, no children will be assigned there. Parents must apply to charter schools.
I suppose if you are a "school choice" or voucher advocate then you should applaud this sort of thing.

It may actually make the public schools more safe, if some of the more extreme teachers, parents, and students are siphoned off.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:25 pm

It may actually make the public schools more safe, if some of the more extreme teachers, parents, and students are siphoned off.
Except that YOUR tax dollars are paying for it if you live in that state. And with next to no accountability and certainly no accountability to any public body like a school board.

If they want to open their own private school then who cares. That is largely unregulated and doesn't use public money. But they want to use tax dollars to advance their agenda. Which is what I would find objectionable.
1 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

One way to avoid this type of trendy stuff is to live where immigrants and generally poor people live. The people attracted to this kinda clump together.
0 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

Ken wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:29 pm

Except that YOUR tax dollars are paying for it if you live in that state. And with next to no accountability and certainly no accountability to any public body like a school board.

If they want to open their own private school then who cares. That is largely unregulated and doesn't use public money. But they want to use tax dollars to advance their agenda. Which is what I would find objectionable.
I have some critiques of charter schools as well. Maybe the best approach is what my cousin did, write and win your own charter. Then you can write in whatever you like. He made his proposal very Christian school friendly and it was accepted.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

barnhart wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:38 pm

One way to avoid this type of trendy stuff is to live where immigrants and generally poor people live. The people attracted to this kinda clump together.
Immigrants and poor people generally live in cities which is where you tend to find this sort of thing. Not in the affluent suburbs or rural areas.

This proposed school is in Brooklyn. But I doubt they will be able to afford rent and nail down a location in the most upscale parts of Brooklyn. So if it even gets off the ground (very big if) then they'll likely wind up in some poorer part of the city in a nondescript strip mall or something. That is the sort of place the fly-by-night charter schools usually land.
0 x