Putin and Carlson

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Tucker Carlson Departs Fox News, Effective Immediately

Post by RZehr »

temporal1 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:02 am FEB 2024 / TUCKER INTERVIEWS PUTIN
I'm slowly listening to this interview over the past week. I'm about done.
I found Tuckers comment and Putins response about Jesus interesting. Tucker asks the question at the 1:44:32 mark. https://tuckercarlson.com/the-vladimir-putin-interview/

Partial Text Transcript of Tucker Carlson Putin Interview:

Tucker Carlson: You have described the connection between Russia and Ukraine; you have described Russia itself, a couple of times as Orthodox – that is central to your understanding of Russia. What does that mean for you? You are a Cristian leader by your own description. So what effect does that have on you?

Vladimir Putin: You know, as I already mentioned, in 988 Prince Vladimir himself was baptized following the example of his grandmother, Princess Olga, and then he baptized his squad, and then gradually, over the course of several years, he baptized all the Rus. It was a lengthy process – from pagans to Christians, it took many years. But in the end, this Orthodoxy, Eastern Christianity, deeply rooted itself in the consciousness of the Russian people.

When Russia expanded and absorbed other nations who profess Islam, Buddhism and Judaism, Russia has always been very loyal to those people who profess other religions. This is her strength. This is absolutely clear.

And the fact is that the main postulates, main values are very similar, not to say the same, in all world religions I’ve just mentioned and which are the traditional religions of the Russian Federation, Russia. By the way, Russian authorities were always very careful about the culture and religion of those peoples who came into the Russian Empire. This, in my opinion, forms the basis of both security and stability of the Russian statehood – all the peoples inhabiting Russia basically consider it their Motherland.

If, say, people move over to you or to Europe from Latin America – an even clearer and more understandable example – people come, but yet they have come to you or to European countries from their historical homeland. And people who profess different religions in Russia consider Russia their Motherland, they have no other Motherland. We are together, this is one big family. And our traditional values are very similar. I’ve just mentioned one big family, but everyone has his/hers own family, and this is the basis of our society. And if we say that the Motherland and the family are specifically connected with each other, it is indeed the case, since it is impossible to ensure a normal future for our children and our families unless we ensure a normal, sustainable future for the entire country, for the Motherland. That is why patriotic sentiment is so strong in Russia.

Tucker Carlson: Can I say, the one way in which religions are different is that Christianity is specifically a non-violent religion. Jesus says “Turn the other cheek, don’t kill”. How can a leader who has to kill, of any country, how can a leader be a Christian? How do you reconcile that to yourself?

Vladimir Putin: It is very easy: when it comes to protecting oneself and one’s family, one’s homeland. We won’t attack anyone.

When did the developments in Ukraine start? Since the coup d'etat and the hostilities in Donbass began, that’s when they started. And we are protecting our people, ourselves, our homeland and our future.

As for religion in general.

You know, it’s not about external manifestations, it’s not about going to church every day or banging your head on the floor. It is in the heart. And our culture is so human-oriented. Dostoevsky, who is very well known in the West as the genius of Russian culture, Russian literature, spoke a lot about this, about the Russian soul.

After all, Western society is more pragmatic. Russian people think more about the eternal, about moral values. I don’t know, maybe you won’t agree with me, but Western culture is more pragmatic after all.

I’m not saying this is bad, it makes it possible for today’s “golden billion” to achieve good success in production, even in science, and so on. There's nothing wrong with that, I'm just saying that we kind of look the same, but our minds are built a little differently.

Tucker Carlson: So do you see the supernatural at work? As you look out across what’s happening in the world now, do you see God at work? Do you ever think to yourself: these are forces that are not human?

Vladimir Putin: No, to be honest, I don't think so. My opinion is that the development of the world community is in accordance with the inherent laws, and those laws are what they are. It's always been this way in the history of mankind. Some nations and countries rose, became stronger and more numerous, and then left the international stage, losing the status they had accustomed to. There is probably no need for me to give examples, but we could start with Genghis Khan and the Horde conquerors, the Golden Horde, and then end with the Roman Empire.

It seems that there has never been anything like the Roman Empire in the history of mankind. Nevertheless, the potential of the barbarians gradually grew, as did their population. In general, the barbarians were getting stronger and began to develop economically, as we would say today. This eventually led to the collapse of the Roman Empire and the regime imposed by the Romans. However, it took five centuries for the Roman Empire to fall apart. The difference with what is happening now is that all the processes of change are happening at a much faster pace than in Roman times.
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Putin and Carlson

Post by Ernie »

This thread is to discuss Carlson's interview of Putin in February 2024, and other matters related to the two men.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-putin ... 379a8a3bd3
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Putin and Carlson

Post by Ernie »

Why do you think Putin is calling Carlson a "dangerous man" following the interview?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Dangerous to his image at home, perhaps, because this interview was widely seen in Russia and is markedly different than the public image portrayed domestically.
0 x
cooper
Affiliation: LMC

Post by cooper »

Josh wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:57 pm Dangerous to his image at home, perhaps, because this interview was widely seen in Russia and is markedly different than the public image portrayed domestically.
Dangerous to Putin's or Carlson's image?
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Both have significant followings who thirst after the thing they offer. This can be dangerous.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

cooper wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:03 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:57 pm Dangerous to his image at home, perhaps, because this interview was widely seen in Russia and is markedly different than the public image portrayed domestically.
Dangerous to Putin's or Carlson's image?
Putin’s in Russia as what he said in the interview was a significant departure from the messaging generally in Russian domestic media. The Carlson interview was conducted with no handlers and no script… sort of like if Joe Biden went on TV with some random Russian journalist and just talked for 2 hours with minimal questions from the journalist.

Putin (much like Biden) doesn’t give a lot of appearances outside of carefully controlled settings.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Putin is an interesting speaker, even factoring for language and cultural barriers.
A fairly stark contrast to any western leader/politician.
He even relays an accomplished sense of wry humor. Difficult when crossing language and culture.

Like ALL gov leaders, politicians, Russian or western, everything he says can be trusted to be ultimately self-serving.

Listen. Be interested. Guarded. Don’t turn your back.

Diplomacy is about communicating with those you don’t care for or trust.
If not, no need for diplomacy.

The current admin/career politicians have no interest in diplomacy. Observed through their actions.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

barnhart wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:02 pm Both have significant followings who thirst after the thing they offer. This can be dangerous.
Michael Bird is a theologically / socially conservative writer, Bible teacher from Australia. I've appreciated his outside-the-USA perspective.
Here he talks of Putin, american christians and Tucker... I commend it to all of you.
1 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Jazman wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:12 pm
barnhart wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:02 pm Both have significant followings who thirst after the thing they offer. This can be dangerous.
Michael Bird is a theologically / socially conservative writer, Bible teacher from Australia. I've appreciated his outside-the-USA perspective.
Here he talks of Putin, american christians and Tucker... I commend it to all of you.
That's a really good piece.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford