Precautions for the next election?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Precautions for the next election?

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:00 pm If she broke the law then she should face consequences.
I don’t know what GA law is on hiring your boyfriend and then doling out a lavish contract and then going a large amount of expensive international vacations and cruises with that money.
If she didn't then there really isn't anything to see here. Even public people are allowed private lives.
Yes there is. Our system of law requires a fair and impartial trial, not trials structured such to generate lots of billable hours (to the tune of $600k-$700k/yr paid to her boyfriend, who according to his divorce had only ever earned $125k a year before).
If you think that she should be removed from her job and/or prosecuted for something this trivial. Then I'm sure you will agree that Trump should be pulled off the ticket, removed from consideration for the presidency and prosecuted for behavior that is 1000x more egregious, profuse, venal, and long-lasting.

Anything else is utter rank hypocrisy.
On what legal basis would I say Trump should be pulled off the ticket? We’re talking about requirements for a state level DA which are quite different from the office of the President.

This DA and her assistant prosecutor made claims like they had no “receipts” for these lavish vacations, refused to answer basic yes/no questions, kept asserting various “privileges” - basically the things Trump keeps being accused of doing. It is indeed rank hypocrisy. If anyone shouldn’t be above the law, DAs shouldn’t be above the law.

All the Trump team is asking for is for an impartial prosecutor to be assigned to the case instead of a very politically motivated DA who has made her entire career about prosecuting Trump, and then richly financially profited off of that.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:10 am
JimFoxvog wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:31 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:22 pm Meanwhile, in Georgia, the DA who tried prosecuting Trump turns out to, well, not be squeaky clean.
I expect there aren't many people who someone can't find something (real or imagined) against. I expect this is deliberate intimidation tactics showing what happens to anyone who tries to prosecute.
No, it isn’t. It’s completely reasonable to expect prosecutors who hold one of the most important law enforcement jobs in the land not to:

- Hire their boyfriend
- Hire a boyfriend with no experience prosecuting, which probably explains why so many of the other defendants charged got off on plea deals with no jail time. (The other possibility is they weren’t guilty of anything.)
- Pay him a much higher rate than he’s ever made before (usually public sector pays less than private sector…) - then take kickbacks on the form of expensive vacations with bins
- Not use large amounts of untraceable cash, which the DA claims she has no receipts for taking out of the bank. Her boyfriend-employee claims he never deposited it in the bank. Neither of them disclosed this on their financial disclosures or interrogatories. Yet they are claiming these large cash exchanges were to prevent there being any kickbacks.

If someone wants to prosecute Trump for fraud, corruption, etc. then we should expect that prosecutor not to be committing rather obvious fraud and corruption, shouldn’t we?
There is the matter that he has been indicted by a grand jury. They will simply assign another prosecutor if this one is removed. The indictment remains.

A prosecutor by nature is not impartial. Their role is different than the judge who must remain impartial.
1 x
:hug:
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

From the monicum of lawyers I have been listening to from both sides, the Fulton County DA looks to be removed from the case. This means all the guilty pleas they got will be cancelled and the case will have to start again and be looked at through new eyes. I suspect it will be dropped when that happens (this is my opinion after listening to multiple lawyers discuss the sevarity of what the Fulton County DA has done).

Lawyers/DAs are required to keep a very high ethical standard to take away any question of inpropriaty. Their actions has greatly tarnished the case. I suspect Fani Willis will be impeached or somehow removed from office because of all this.

President Trump is not the one pushing these charges. One of the other RICO defendents is making these charges. It will affect all the rest int he RICO case since the whole idea is that they all colluded, so once it is shown that there was major levels of inpropriaty by the people making the charges, the case will have to be restarted and maybe even sent to anoth county to continue, if they choose to.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:15 am From the monicum of lawyers I have been listening to from both sides, the Fulton County DA looks to be removed from the case. This means all the guilty pleas they got will be cancelled and the case will have to start again and be looked at through new eyes. I suspect it will be dropped when that happens (this is my opinion after listening to multiple lawyers discuss the sevarity of what the Fulton County DA has done).

Lawyers/DAs are required to keep a very high ethical standard to take away any question of inpropriaty. Their actions has greatly tarnished the case. I suspect Fani Willis will be impeached or somehow removed from office because of all this.

President Trump is not the one pushing these charges. One of the other RICO defendents is making these charges. It will affect all the rest int he RICO case since the whole idea is that they all colluded, so once it is shown that there was major levels of inpropriaty by the people making the charges, the case will have to be restarted and maybe even sent to anoth county to continue, if they choose to.

Burger King may be hiring, but, i know of no employer who knowingly wants to hire trouble.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:54 am There is the matter that he has been indicted by a grand jury. They will simply assign another prosecutor if this one is removed. The indictment remains.
If any other DA wants to pick it up, that is. Another one might decide to dismiss the charges.
A prosecutor by nature is not impartial. Their role is different than the judge who must remain impartial.
A prosecutor is supposed to indeed be impartial and only advocate for justice, not any personal or political vendettas against an accused.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:07 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:54 am There is the matter that he has been indicted by a grand jury. They will simply assign another prosecutor if this one is removed. The indictment remains.
If any other DA wants to pick it up, that is. Another one might decide to dismiss the charges.
A prosecutor is supposed to indeed be impartial and only advocate for justice, not any personal or political vendettas against an accused.
Impartial as to politics, but certainly believing in the guilt of the accused. Remember we have an adversarial system here.

It could be assigned to another prosecutor in the Fulton county office, Willis is not the only prosecutor who could have been assigned the case. She has messed this up big time. It will largely be up to the judge, this is personal conduct, not germane to the case. My suspicion is that another assistant state’s attorney will have to take the case resulting in a delay. I could be wrong, but as far as I know the grand jury indictments still stand. Even if a mistrial occurs, the state can still try the case, starting from the beginning.
1 x
:hug:
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Josh wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:10 am ...
It’s completely reasonable to expect prosecutors who hold one of the most important law enforcement jobs in the land not to:

- Hire their boyfriend
- Hire a boyfriend with no experience prosecuting ...
You are assuming what has not been proven. The testimony was mostly that Wade was not her boyfriend until after he was hired. One woman she fired said otherwise--her testimony could be thought suspect.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

JimFoxvog wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:40 pm
Josh wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:10 am ...
It’s completely reasonable to expect prosecutors who hold one of the most important law enforcement jobs in the land not to:

- Hire their boyfriend
- Hire a boyfriend with no experience prosecuting ...
You are assuming what has not been proven. The testimony was mostly that Wade was not her boyfriend until after he was hired. One woman she fired said otherwise--her testimony could be thought suspect.
It is 100% proven that he had no prosecutorial experience nor any RICO experience. It was absolute madness to assign him to a high profile case.

There actually is evidence they were in a relationship before she hired him, but he is asserting attorney-client privilege to suppress entering two text messages he exchanged with his divorce attorney/friend/former business partner.

In short, Willis & co. are behaving exactly like the left accuses Trump of doing.
0 x