God's Army Convoy

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: God's Army Convoy

Post by Valerie »

Ken wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:28 pm
Valerie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:18 pm
Ken wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:05 pm

Well, for one, Trump has suggested shooting migrants in the legs. Would you consider that either cruel or violent?
Well Biden is putting the immigrants AND our citizens in danger by allowing deadly drugs killing many Americans, human sex traffickers, terrorists, and oddly enough Chinese men coming through the southern borders for who knows what reason,- that my friend is cruel ,& evil
You do realize that most drug smuggling comes straight through regular ports of entry hidden in trucks and on container ships offloaded at seaports.

And the Biden Administration has repeatedly requested additional funding to increase actual border security but Congress has repeatedly failed to act.

These are the places where most drug smuggling actually happens, especially Fentanyl.

What percentage of those containers coming from China do you think are actually screened top to bottom? Same for those thousands of trucks crossing the border daily. In point of fact, they don't actually even unload them until they get to their ultimate destinations.

And building a wall will not stop even one tiny bit of it. Even if Mexico does pay for it :lol:

And actual terrorists (who aren't homegrown) come right in on commercial flights and walk right through immigrations with their passports just like all the 9-11 hijackers did.

This will go nowhere fast I see, we get our news from different sources.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Valerie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:20 pmThis will go nowhere fast I see, we get our news from different sources.
From the Conservative Cato Institute: https://www.cato.org/blog/fentanyl-smug ... um-seekers

From Reuters: https://www.reuters.com/graphics/MEXICO ... vkadblovm/
Most fentanyl trafficked by the Sinaloa Cartel crosses at U.S. border ports of entry, often in secret car compartments, disguised among cargo on tractor-trailers, or secreted in the bodies of drug mules, according to an April indictment against the Chapitos, four brothers accused of expanding the Cartel’s fentanyl operations following the capture of their father Joaquin ‘El Chapo’ Guzman.

“The Cartel relies on the impossibility of inspecting every item that crosses the U.S.-Mexico border,” the indictment said.
From the Texas Comptroller General: https://comptroller.texas.gov/economy/f ... ntanyl.php
Texas’ shared border with Mexico is just one avenue for fentanyl trafficking, due in part to its accessibility. It’s a border joined by 29 international bridges and border crossings (Exhibit 1). In 2021, nearly 43 million personal vehicles, 4.87 million commercial trucks, 51,990 buses and 9,023 trains crossed the border legally, according to U.S. Bureau of Transportation data. In the same year, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) reported more than 1.23 million enforcement encounters in response to illegal crossings on the Texas-Mexico border, including 5,541 drug seizure events.

The DEA has worked with partner agencies to identify and arrest members of drug trafficking networks around the world, but it has named the Mexico-based Sinaloa Cartel and the Jalisco New Generation Cartel as the major suppliers of fentanyl in the U.S. Mexican cartels primarily use personally owned vehicles, rental vehicles and trucks/tractor trailers via interstates to smuggle illicit fentanyl and other illegal narcotics into the U.S., while couriers sneak it into the U.S. on commercial airlines, the DEA states.
Like I said, most Fentanyl is driven across the border through regular ports of entry. And also 90% of smuggling is done by US Citizens for the very reason that the face much less scrutiny at the border than non-citizens or immigrants. It isn't smuggled across the desert by asylum seekers who get searched when they are interdicted.

And putting a dent in the Fentanyl trade isn't about restricting immigration. It is about ramping up screenings at ports of entry which will require lots of expensive technology and more personnel. All of that costs money that Congress refuses to allocate.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Instead of so much being imported, we need jobs and factories right here in America. Then we wouldn’t have to inspect so many goods coming in via ports.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

barnhart wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:53 pm
Ernie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:04 am https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/i ... r-rallies/
A new convoy. Quite the religious worldview.
.. I don't have a issue with protests but I think they should leave Jesus out of their plans.
That’s the thing. i didn’t notice reference to Jesus in the OP piece, nor do i find His name when God is referenced for government use, like, “In God we Trust,” etc.

i could be all wrong, but, i think this is an important distinction.

i have a sense that most-everyone (including atheists) have an inborn sense of God, we’re all created by God, made in His image.
Jesus IS God, as found in the NT. Jesus is the Good News. He is learned by sharing the Good News, by word and/or scripture.
He’s specific, and typically anathema to human reasoning.

Old saying, “No atheists in foxholes.”

i believe the founders were wise to embed respect for God in documents, but not Jesus’ name, this allowed a better umbrella for freedom of religion, how to provide for the diverse believers/Christians that had already arrived, all seeking freedom of religion?

i see God as the universal and inescapable reality that is bedrock to humanity, even when they’ve never known the OT or NT.
(not to say “without exception.”)

When people weep, they intuitively cry to God, whether they’ve known Him or not.
So, i don’t object to the use of God’s name, even when i doubt how well He’s known. Or how He’s known.
i dislike abuse of His name in any way.

Jesus is God. He has to be known. And accepted. God revealed in the NT.

i could be all wrong.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:05 pmThat’s the thing. i didn’t notice reference to Jesus in the OP piece, nor do i find His name when God is referenced for government use, like, “In God we Trust,” etc.
They call themselves “God’s Army” and say:
“This is a biblical, monumental moment that’s been put together by God,” one of the organizers said on a recent planning call, as reported by Vice. Another said, “We are besieged on all sides by dark forces of evil.”
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

A donor in the article quotes the New testament in support of their cause.

If they wish make the argument that the people entering the US are rapists and murders or they are bad for the economy or they make housing prices go up or the entry is un constitutional, ECT... I don't have a lot to say. They are free to protest, form a movement and express their opinions.

But when they quote the new testament and claim God's approval or authority for their mission, I will call them what they are, Patriotic Nationalist idolators. It is Idolatry because it claims the authority of Jesus for a different kingdom.
3 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

barnhart wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:25 pm A donor in the article quotes the New testament in support of their cause.

If they wish make the argument that the people entering the US are rapists and murders or they are bad for the economy or they make housing prices go up or the entry is un constitutional, ECT... I don't have a lot to say. They are free to protest, form a movement and express their opinions.

But when they quote the new testament and claim God's approval or authority for their mission, I will call them what they are, Patriotic Nationalist idolators. It is Idolatry because it claims the authority of Jesus for a different kingdom.
i see that now.
when i believe others are misunderstanding scriptures, i think of that as ignorance, i pray for them. misunderstanding is common.
it happens on this forum. often discussed and corrected. i’m likely guilty, i try not to be. knowing, none sees in full.

you don’t think much of loving enemies? would you bring sandwiches for the drivers? in hope to win hearts+minds?
viewtopic.php?t=4642
0 x

UNKNOWN
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I didn't say I don't love them. I said they are idolators, caught in idolatry.
1 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:39 pm
barnhart wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:25 pm A donor in the article quotes the New testament in support of their cause.

i see that now.
when i believe others are misunderstanding scriptures, i think of that as ignorance, i pray for them. misunderstanding is common.
it happens on this forum. often discussed and corrected. i’m likely guilty, i try not to be. knowing, none sees in full.

you don’t think much of loving enemies? would you bring sandwiches for the drivers? in hope to win hearts+minds?
viewtopic.php?t=4642
I’m willing to give them sandwiches if they are persecuting or protesting against me. Not so much if they are making some other political protest. Why? Same reason I don’t go to parades or festivals - I don’t want to identify with it. Giving sandwiches to a trucker convoy, is generally an accepted way of showing support. It is not simply feeding the hungry. I’m perfectly willing to give a sandwich to the hungry, just not if they’ve worked up their appetite by protesting.

It’s fine anyone disagrees, and sees it differently and gives them sandwiches. Just because it isn’t a sin, doesn’t mean I have to do it.
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

barnhart wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:56 pm I didn't say I don't love them. I said they are idolators, caught in idolatry.
i see. well, “Patriotic Nationalist idolators” seem very damning words; i believe idolatry is a huge problem, i guess i wouldn’t judge them so harshly, i guess i appreciate any who make an effort to respect God, even when (i think) they get it wrong. Now, some misuse God for evil, that’s another matter. (Like, sex abusers using God’s name to intimidate+justify their sins.)

That’s not to say i agree with their references. i believe they’re misled. i wouldn’t do that.

i don’t sense evil (from the little i’ve read of this protest).

Loving enemies is counterintuitive to human nature, i often wonder how it works, how it’s acted out.
i wonder who is an enemy. there are all kinds of negative emotions, little rises to the definition of enemy, i think.
0 x

UNKNOWN