2024 Border Legislation

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: 2024 Border Legislation

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:53 pm From reports described on MN, biden inherited a good situation at the border, he reversed those policies.
What Biden inherited was a situation in which immigration restrictions were in place under Title 42 of the Public Health Act which authorizes the government to restrict entry into the country when a public health emergency is in effect.

These restrictions were put into place in March 2020 by the Trump Administration in response to the declaration of a COVID Public Health Emergency.

When Biden ended the COVID Public Health Emergency on May 11, 2023, the authority to continue the Trump-era restrictions ended. Many people thought that Biden actually kept the COVID public health emergency declaration in place for far too long.

Would you rather see the Biden Administration extend the COVID public health emergency indefinitely or permanently and claim all the expansive executive powers that go along with a declaration of a public health emergency? That seems to be the horror scenario of many conservatives who oppose such unlimited executive authority. As I recall, that was what that silly trucker convoy was about back in 2022.

Or would you rather that Congress replace those powers with new ones specifically limited to immigration? Which is exactly what this new legislation does?
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i’m interested in what will result when NYC and Chicago everyday citizens will come up with, now that they realize what a national border means to them.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:13 pm i’m interested in what will result when NYC and Chicago everyday citizens will come up with, now that they realize what a national border means to them.
Citizens of NYC and Chicago have no ability to affect border policy. That responsibility lies with Congress. But as far as I know, the Congressional delegations of both New York and Illinois support the bipartisan border legislation that is the subject of this thread. If it fails, it won't be due to them.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

The folks i’m hearing are not c.Anabaptist, and they vote.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

I see a Politico headline that reads, "Trump slams deal that would give Biden authority to close border." Can anybody, especially someone who likes Trumpism, explain why he would do this?
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Jazman wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:38 pm I see a Politico headline that reads, "Trump slams deal that would give Biden authority to close border." Can anybody, especially someone who likes Trumpism, explain why he would do this?
Not sure if I like Trump or not. But I think the reason that he would do this is twofold:
1. Major Republican don’t actually mind immigrants coming here. Hence, your typical Republican doesn’t really care either.
2. Trump doesn’t want the problem solved by anyone else. Just like he hopes the economy crashes before the election so that he can use the economic crash as a campaign issue, Trump wants there to be problems at the border in order to use the matter as a campaign fodder.
Trump generally doesn’t seem to care about people being harmed via an economic crash, or immigration, so long as he can benefit from these issues. Other people bare the cost, he benefits. Diffused costs, concentrated benefits.
2 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Jazman wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:38 pm I see a Politico headline that reads, "Trump slams deal that would give Biden authority to close border." Can anybody, especially someone who likes Trumpism, explain why he would do this?
The correct question is why you’re putting any faith in Politico headlines.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Because he senses this is to his advantage right now.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Because his 2024 campaign is nothing more than fear mongering about immigration and grievance mongering about the 2024 election and his legal troubles.

Take away immigration as an issue and he has no policies at all left to run on. His campaign this summer and next fall depends on the border being a mess. He is counting on it.
1 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Biden had the authority to close the border to illegal migrants on day one, of his presidency; instead he brought back “catch and release”, halted construction of the wall, and ended the "Remain in Mexico" policy. He took actions that created the crisis at the border now he wants to put a band aid on his giant deadly boo-boo, which is costing lives, empowering the evil cartels, and poisoning the blood of the nations young people with fentanyl. His new suggested policy would NOT "shut down" the border, it would reduce the amount of illegal people crossing in one day to 5,000 people.
Last edited by Grace on Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1 x