2024 Border Legislation

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: 2024 Border Legislation

Post by Ken »

Grace wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:49 pm
mike wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:00 pm
Szdfan wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:51 pm Unless the influx of migrants are an invading army seeking to militarily overthrow the US Government, calling migration and "invasion" is just political rhetoric.
I would agree. Kind of how calling Jan 6 an insurrection is just political rhetoric.
Good answer. There is a lot of political rhetoric flying around these days. But pointing out the fact that on some days there are 10,000 migrants crossing the border into the country in one day, is not political rhetoric, but the truth.
In a general sense it might be accurate to call the current migrant wave an invasion just like we use the term in biology to refer to any large shift in population. An invasion of crows, an invasion of fire ants, an invasion of cicada, an invasion of kudzu, an invasion of zebra mussels, etc. It is a very common term in ecology and population biology.

But it isn't accurate to speak of the current wave of migrants as an invasion in a political or military sense such as the Russian invasion of Ukraine, or the Israel invasion of Gaza, or the US invasion of Iraq. It's clearly not that. Migrants are seeking to become Americans and assimilate into American society. They aren't coming to militarily overthrow the government or seize territory.
2 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Grace wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:49 pm
mike wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:00 pm
Szdfan wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:51 pm Unless the influx of migrants are an invading army seeking to militarily overthrow the US Government, calling migration and "invasion" is just political rhetoric.
I would agree. Kind of how calling Jan 6 an insurrection is just political rhetoric.
Good answer. There is a lot of political rhetoric flying around these days. But pointing out the fact that on some days there are 10,000 migrants "invading" the border, is not political rhetoric, but the truth.
I would agree with Szdfan that words have meaning, and they matter. Looking at the Cambridge definitions for invasion, I would allow that the 2nd definition of invasion could possibly apply to record numbers of illegal immigrants.
1. an occasion when an army or country uses force to enter and take control of another country: They were planning to mount an invasion of the north of the country.

2. an occasion when a large number of people or things come to a place in an annoying and unwanted way: the annual invasion of foreign tourists

3. an action or process that affects someone's life in an unpleasant and unwanted way:
an invasion of privacy
I think though that labeling illegal immigration an invasion is a pretty subjective exercise.

The definition of insurrection is:
an organized attempt by a group of people to defeat their government and take control of their country, usually by violence:
I don't really think that the January 6 riot quite qualifies for that definition.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Ken wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:56 pm

In a general sense it might be accurate to call the current migrant wave an invasion just like we use the term in biology to refer to any large shift in population. An invasion of crows, an invasion of fire ants, an invasion of cicada, an invasion of kudzu, an invasion of zebra mussels, etc. It is a very common term in ecology and population biology.

But it isn't accurate to speak of the current wave of migrants as an invasion in a political or military sense such as the Russian invasion of Ukraine, or the Israel invasion of Gaza, or the US invasion of Iraq. It's clearly not that. Migrants are seeking to become Americans and assimilate into American society. They aren't coming to militarily overthrow the government or seize territory.
No one is saying that the current wave of migrants is a political or military invasion, but the word "invasion" does fits one definition of the word.

No matter how you look at it, 10K illegal migrants coming across the border is "an incursion by a large number of people or things into a place or sphere of activity". (definition of an invasion ).

I agree that many aren't coming militarily overthrow the government or seize territory. But neither were the 19 terrorists who were within our borders on 9-11, and they still managed to kill almost 3,000, people
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Grace wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:33 pm

No one is saying that the current wave of migrants is a political or military invasion, but the word "invasion" does fits one definition of the word.

No matter how you look at it, 10K illegal migrants coming across the border is "an incursion by a large number of people or things into a place or sphere of activity". (definition of an invasion ).

I agree that many aren't coming militarily overthrow the government or seize territory. But neither were the 19 terrorists who were within our borders on 9-11, and they still managed to kill almost 3,000, people
Every single one of the 9-11 hijackers were here legally. They came in on various student or tourist visas on regular flights.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Grace

Post by Grace »

Ken wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:18 pm
Grace wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:33 pm

Every single one of the 9-11 hijackers were here legally. They came in on various student or tourist visas on regular flights.

I know that, I did not say they were here illegally. My point is that not everyone coming here, whether legal or illegal, wants to assimilate into American society. Some are coming for very nefarious reasons. In 2022, 100 migrants were apprehended at the borders, that were on the Terrorist watch list. In 2023 there were 160 migrants who were apprehended. I am sure there are many more that weren’t caught. Even though the 9-11 terrorists were here on Visas, they were still terrorists. And to think that there aren’t terrorists slipping through Joe Biden’s open border invasion, is unrealistic.
1 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

Migrants are seeking to become Americans and assimilate into American society. They aren't coming to militarily overthrow the government or seize territory.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Grace

Post by Grace »

Ernie wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:31 pm The Senate border bill

https://thehill.com/latino/4449725-sena ... on-asylum/
Bill contains whopping 60 Billion for Ukraine and only 20 Billion for the border crisis. The Biden administration has taken 66 separate actions to weaken the border. Now in an election year, Biden suddenly wants to remedy the crisis he created when he undid the orders from the prior administration. There is no need for more laws, as there are already existing laws that the Biden administration is intentionally not enforcing, that would stop this border crisis. Based on their past lack of enforcement, If the law is passed, does anyone believe the Biden administration will follow through? I certainly don't.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

mike wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:00 pm I would agree. Kind of how calling Jan 6 an insurrection is just political rhetoric.
Maybe legal jargon? This was legally determined in a trial with expert witnesses from both sides in Colorado. The Colorado Supreme Court upheld the finding.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

You know, it would seem the wrong venue to determine if an insurrection happened in DC is some state court in Colorado.
0 x