Flags

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Flags

Post by temporal1 »

i did not see this coming. i see no downside.

Florida bill that would ban Pride flags from government buildings moves forward
A subcommittee in the Florida Legislature voted to approve a bill that could limit flying Pride and Black Lives Matter flags in schools and other government buildings
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 270383007/
Florida lawmakers have voted to move forward with a bill that would effectively ban Pride flags from government buildings and schools.

HB 901 says that "a governmental entity may not erect or display a flag that represent a political viewpoint, including, but not limited to a politically partisan, racial, sexual orientation and gender, or political ideology viewpoint."

The proposal, introduced by Florida state Republicans Rep. David Borrero of Sweetwater and Rep. Randy Fine of Brevard County, was approved Wednesday in a 9-5 vote along party lines in the Republican-led House's subcommittee on constitutional rights, rule of law and government operations. It's now in the State Affairs Committee. ..
^^not just pride flags.
this practice should have never been allowed to flourish.
.. Bill co-sponsor Fine said that he doesn't want "a Hamas flag flying in this (subcommittee) room."

“I don’t want the Black Lives Matter flag flying in this room, and I don’t want the 'Trump for president' flag flying in this room," he said, according to the News Service. "They’re not appropriate in this room, they’re not appropriate in our schools, they’re not appropriate in our government buildings.”
^^domestic+abroad.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Flags

Post by Ken »

There are at least 8 flags currently hanging in my classroom. Most of them left by the previous teacher. I guess it is good I don't teach in Florida! :lol:
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Step in the right direction!
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Which flag should I take down?

0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Valerie wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:35 pm Step in the right direction!
i think so.
i think the bill attempts to be limited and specific. i hope it’s broad enough to include logos and lighting.
these things should have never been allowed, by way of common sense.

“an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
1 x

UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:20 pm
Valerie wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:35 pm Step in the right direction!
i think so.
i think the bill attempts to be limited and specific. i hope it’s broad enough to include logos and lighting.
these things should have never been allowed, by way of common sense.

“an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
A school district in Oregon tried the same thing a couple years ago and it was found by the courts to be an unconstitutional infringement on freedom of expression and was ultimately rescinded: https://www.opb.org/article/2023/01/17/ ... ettlement/
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:34 am A gaping hole in U.S. education is the vast shortage of conservatives teaching in education, K-College.
Possibly, correcting this one “oversight” would solve/mitigate loads of societal/cultural problems.
:shock:

- - - - - - -

THE U.S. PUBLIC TREASURY
in my view, everyone who pays taxes (not just libs) has a vested interest in gov education, gov funding.
the U.S. Public Treasury should not be a big petty cash drawer for lib dreams/experiments.

The way cases are presented in court makes a difference. Lots of cases are thrown out based only on lack of content.
Different courts rule differently. The Florida case may very well have a different outcome.

i’m encouraged to find people giving (flags/education) serious thought. with the current pervasive “homogenous” thinking in schools, unions, etc., serious, balanced thought cannot be taken for granted. bullying is the norm.

i would most like to see balance in educator hiring WITHOUT force of legislation. that “should be” 100% doable in our Constitutional Republic. “forced by legislation” kinda defeats the purpose.

balance in teacher (and admin) population would make a difference in - everything, including flags+logos.
gov ed should not be a slam dunk playground for lib experiments.

- - - - - - -

few like paying taxes.
however, paying taxes gives tangible power to the people. a vested interest.
1 x

UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:01 ami would most like to see balance in educator hiring WITHOUT force of legislation. that “should be” 100% doable in our Constitutional Republic. “forced by legislation” kinda defeats the purpose.
What evidence do you have that educator and administrator hiring is not generally based on merit? I would suggest that it is.

The Supreme Court recently tossed out affirmative action in college admissions so your idea of affirmative action in education for less qualified conservatives would actually be constitutionally suspect.
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Ken wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:02 am
temporal1 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:01 ami would most like to see balance in educator hiring WITHOUT force of legislation. that “should be” 100% doable in our Constitutional Republic. “forced by legislation” kinda defeats the purpose.
What evidence do you have that educator and administrator hiring is not generally based on merit? I would suggest that it is.

The Supreme Court recently tossed out affirmative action in college admissions so your idea of affirmative action in education for less qualified conservatives would actually be constitutionally suspect.

Who said anything about merit?
In another thread, some DOE problems are described, the problem of the “wild majority” of registered Democrats in gov ed is addressed: viewtopic.php?t=6418

No one can teach what they do not know. Students deserve respectable exposure to conservative views.
i would hope this would be obvious and agreed, without need of force of legislation.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

THE CHRISTIAN FLAG

Speaking of flags, there is a Christian flag, which i’ve never known anything about.
Interesting history:

2008 / Christianity Today / “Do You Know the History of the Christian Flag?”
White represents purity and peace, blue indicates fidelity, and red stands for Christ's blood sacrifice.
https://www.christianitytoday.com/histo ... -flag.html
The Christian flag dates back to an impromptu speech given by Charles C. Overton, a Sunday school superintendent in New York, on September 26, 1897. The guest speaker for the Sunday school kick-off didn't show up, so Overton had to wing it.
Spying an American flag near the podium, he started talking about flags and their symbolism. Along the way he proposed that Christians should have their own flag—an idea that stayed on his mind long after the speech. In 1907 Overton teamed up with Ralph Diffendorfer, secretary to the Methodist Young People's Missionary Movement, to produce and promote the flag.

The colors on the flag, not surprisingly, match those on the American flag. White represents purity and peace, blue indicates fidelity, and red stands for Christ's blood sacrifice.

The first pledge to the Christian flag was written by Methodist pastor Lynn Harold Hough, who heard Diffendorfer's flag presentation at a rally. Hough, a liberal, wrote a fairly broad pledge: "I pledge allegiance to my flag and the Savior for whose kingdom it stands; one brotherhood uniting all mankind in service and love." Conservative churches generally use a more detailed version: "I pledge allegiance to the Christian flag, and to the Savior for whose kingdom it stands; one Savior, crucified, risen, and coming again with life and liberty to all who believe."The pledge isn't the only aspect of the Christian flag that has caused controversy over the years.

Churches have struggled with the flag's placement in relation to the American flag, its implied link between faith and patriotism,
and whether flags belong in a sanctuary at all.

Following this article, is another on anchors in Christian history. Also interesting.
0 x

UNKNOWN