Flags

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Flags

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:22 pm Why do schools have teachers promoting homosexuality in the classroom?
They don't. In my experience that would be exceedingly rare and I have never heard of it happening.

What schools do promote is the idea that every child is welcome in school and should not be discriminated against or bullied regardless of their race, looks, ethnicity, culture, religion, abilities, and yes, sexuality. And that is exactly what they SHOULD be doing. In fact that is the actual LAW.

That is different from promoting any specific one of those things, like a specific religion or specific sexuality or favoring specific ethnic customs.

So schools should say that all students are WELCOME in school regardless of whether they are Catholic, Muslim, Anabaptist, Hindu, or none of the above But schools should not be PROMOTING any of those specific religions over any other.

Likewise, should should say that all students are WELCOME in school regardless of whether they are straight, gay, trans, or non-binary which is just the new lingo for what used to be called things like tomboys. But schools should not be PROMOTING any of those things or advocating that students follow any specific sexuality. The standard should be no different.

Are there teachers who violate either of those two standards? I'm sure there are fringe cases were you can find either or both. Because there are millions of teachers in the US. But in my experience, neither of those things generally happens. Nor should it.
Last edited by Ken on Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:07 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:22 pm Why do schools have teachers promoting homosexuality in the classroom?
They don't. In my experience that would be exceedingly rare and I have never heard of it happening.

What schools do promote is the idea that every child is welcome in school and should not be discriminated against or bullied regardless of their race, looks, ethnicity, culture, religion, abilities, and yes, sexuality. And that is exactly what they SHOULD be doing. In fact that is the actual LAW.

That is different from promoting any specific one of those things, like a specific religion or specific sexuality or favoring specific ethnic customs.
A young child does not have a “sexuality”. There is absolutely no business for a pride flag being in an elementary school classroom.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:08 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:07 pm

A young child does not have a “sexuality”. There is absolutely no business for a pride flag being in an elementary school classroom.
Of course they do. Most children are aware of their sexuality by kindergarten or the early primary grades. I certainly was and I'm willing to bet that you were too.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

… by kindergarten? I don’t think most kindergarteners are thinking about who they want to have sex with, Ken.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:17 pm … by kindergarten? I don’t think most kindergarteners are thinking about who they want to have sex with, Ken.
Sexuality isn't about who you want to have sex with. It is about whether you see your self as a boy or girl. Most children understand their gender by kindergarten. And surveys show that most children understand and can identify whether they like boys or girls by 8-10 years old.

In any event, to the extent that schools get into that at all in the elementary grades it is more along the lines of "gay people exist which is why there are some people who have two mommies or two daddies" That sort of thing.

You want schools to teach children about a fantasy world that doesn't exist and then discover that you have been lying to them? You want schools to denigrate the families of children who attend public schools and make them feel ashamed of who they are and who their family is? What is it that you want?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

There are no chidren who have two fathers or two mothers. Schools should not be teaching obvious falsehoods like that.

How on earth is a pride flag relevant to an elementary or kindergarten school? Such things should be kept far far away from children.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:48 pm There are no chidren who have two fathers or two mothers. Schools should not be teaching obvious falsehoods like that.

How on earth is a pride flag relevant to an elementary or kindergarten school? Such things should be kept far far away from children.
You live in a country where gay marriage is a CONSTITUTIONAL right and where there are hundreds of thousands of gay couples raising children, some are biological, some are adopted. There is nothing false about that. And they have the same right to be called "families" as you do. Anything else is just bigotry.

I expect in another generation people will look back at those who expressed such opinions with the same horror and disgust that today's generation reserves for the Jim Crow era of racial discrimination and hatred. I'm talking about your children and grandchildren. Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows. But that is my prediction.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:16 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:48 pm There are no chidren who have two fathers or two mothers. Schools should not be teaching obvious falsehoods like that.

You live in a country where gay marriage is a CONSTITUTIONAL right and where there are hundreds of thousands of gay couples raising children, some are biological, some are adopted. There is nothing false about that. And they have the same right to be called "families" as you do. Anything else is just bigotry.

I expect in another generation people will look back at those who expressed such opinions with the same horror and disgust that today's generation reserves for the Jim Crow era of racial discrimination and hatred. I'm talking about your children and grandchildren. Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows. But that is my prediction.
I’ll repeat myself:

Every child has a father and a mother. Sometimes, those birth parents are replaced by an adopted father and mother.

No child ever has had, nor ever will, have two fathers or two mothers.

Fake marriages are not marriages. And fake families aren’t families either.

Children should be kept safe and far far away from sexual perversions like homosexuality.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:27 am
Ken wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:16 pm

I’ll repeat myself:

Every child has a father and a mother. Sometimes, those birth parents are replaced by an adopted father and mother.

No child ever has had, nor ever will, have two fathers or two mothers.

Fake marriages are not marriages. And fake families aren’t families either.

Children should be kept safe and far far away from sexual perversions like homosexuality.
Yes, I know, you are a broken record.

Here in the REAL WORLD, if you are a teacher or work in schools you will have children who:
  • live with traditional nuclear families
  • live with a single parent
  • live in foster care or with a relative
  • live in a family with gay parents (2 dads or 2 moms)
  • live with a single parent who is gay
  • live in some sort of combined family due to divorce or,
  • spend time in two different families due to divorce
  • have gay or trans people in their immediate or extended family
When you discuss families in school are you REALLY going to tell that 6 year old child who has gay parents that their family is FAKE and that their parents are in a FAKE marriage and that they are living in a PERVERTED and EVIL family? And that other children need to be kept far away from their family? Or that other children need to be kept away from their gay (and therefore evil and perverted) older brother or sister or aunt?

Are you going to teach the other students in your class who might live in nuclear families that all the children in your class whose families don't look like theirs are living in FAKE, EVIL, and PERVERTED families? And that they need to stay far away from such families?

Be honest. You are a teacher in a public school and you get the children who come to you. You don't get to pick and choose which children you teach or have in your class. How are you going to approach teaching about families to a group of young students who come from all of those backgrounds and more?

I'm really curious about your answer.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:05 am Here in the REAL WORLD, if you are a teacher or work in schools you will have children who:
  • live with traditional nuclear families
  • live with a single parent
  • live in foster care or with a relative
None of those are particularly relevant to this discussion.
[*]live in a family with gay parents (2 dads or 2 moms)
I would keep an eagle eye out since abuse is very common when children are around homosexual men who aren’t related to them.
[*]live with a single parent who is gay
Irrelevant but if a single parent brings around unrelated men a lot, abuse is much more likely. Whether a single man or single woman parent.
[*]live in some sort of combined family due to divorce or'
[*]spend time in two different families due to divorce
Divorce is very harmful to kids as is the non stop instability of constantly changing living arrangements.
When you discuss families in school are you REALLY going to tell that 6 year old child who has gay parents that their family is FAKE and that their parents are in a FAKE marriage and that they are living in a PERVERTED and EVIL family? And that other children need to be kept far away from their family?
I wouldn’t be teaching elementary students about sexuality or homosexuality at all.

The bigger question is why you think to need taught about homosexuality?
Are you going to teach the other students in your class who might live in nuclear families that all the children in your class whose families don't look like theirs are living in FAKE, EVIL, and PERVERTED families? And that they need to stay far away from such families?

Be honest. You are a teacher in a public school and you get the children who come to you. You don't get to pick and choose which children you teach or have in your class. How are you going to approach teaching about families to a group of young students who come from all of those backgrounds and more?

I'm really curious about your answer.
I would teach children things like how to read, writing, math, home ec, biology, chemistry, and so forth.

I’m not sure what weird curriculum you teach where you have to teach about “families”. That doesn’t need to be taught anymore than you need to teach children how to speak.
0 x