2024 Presidential Campaign Polls

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

Re: 2024 Presidential Campaign Polls

Post by JohnHurt »

mike wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:22 pm I wonder if fewer people in fact care about the outcome of the upcoming election than they did in 2020. This writer seems to think so, under the headline "Inside the collapsing U.S. political-media-industrial-complex."
Semafor wrote:...the evidence continues to show one thing: many fewer people care.

Traffic to political coverage on digital news sites is down compared to the 2020 and 2016 presidential primaries. Television ratings for the Iowa caucuses were terrible: CNN averaged 688K total viewers with 194K in the 25-54 demo sought by advertisers in the primetime hours of 8 to 11 pm, while MSNBC averaged 1.15 million total viewers, with 143K in the demo. Fox couldn’t crack 2.8 million viewers, with 402K in the demo. In 2020, Fox News drew 4.4 million viewers overall, while 1.8 million people tuned into CNN and 2.5 million watched MSNBC. That was down 17% across the board from 2016 Iowa caucus viewership. By comparison, the NFL wild card game between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Philadelphia Eagles the same night drew 28.62 million viewers.

It was a little-kept secret of Trump’s rise that, even as he attacked American media and was treated by them as a threat to democracy, he rescued their advertising and subscription businesses. As CBS Chairman Les Moonves notoriously quipped to investors in February of 2016, “It may not be good for America, but it’s damn good for CBS.”

Media executives are beginning to reckon with the reality that the 2024 race won’t bring a “Trump bump” to save ad budgets or bring back readers, listeners, and viewers. In a public interview at Davos last week, the new Washington Post CEO, Will Lewis said the publication that boomed during the first Trump era will now be looking for subscribers elsewhere.

“I’m not convinced that will be the case,” Lewis said of predictions of another “Trump bump.”
Mike,

Nobody watches the Mainstream media any more. Your article said that CNN had 688k viewers, MSNBC 1.15 million, FOX had 2.8 million for their political content. That is pathetic.

Yet, they can draw 28.62 million viewers for a ball game. That tells you people don't trust CNN, MSNBS, or FOX for their politics, just sports.

Joe Rogan has 30 million people watch his podcasts.
Rogan is getting 200 million downloads a month, and his YouTube channel has over 10 Billion views:
https://atonce.com/blog/how-many-people ... -joe-rogan

Tucker Carlson from 6 to 120 million views:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/petersuciu ... 0df10224b7

Alex Jones has 2.4 million subscribers on just his YouTube channel:
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/th ... l/realtime
Jones was banned until recently on YouTube, so that is why there are only 2.4 million subscribers.
Jones has his own video hosting network and website where he gets 40 million views for his content.

If you are still watching CNN, you were born before 1990. And you are in the minority.
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

JohnHurt wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:19 amJim, it is not the Republicans that are violent, it is the Democrats.
What if its both?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

JohnHurt wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:23 pm
mike wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:22 pm I wonder if fewer people in fact care about the outcome of the upcoming election than they did in 2020. This writer seems to think so, under the headline "Inside the collapsing U.S. political-media-industrial-complex."
Semafor wrote:...the evidence continues to show one thing: many fewer people care.

Traffic to political coverage on digital news sites is down compared to the 2020 and 2016 presidential primaries. Television ratings for the Iowa caucuses were terrible: CNN averaged 688K total viewers with 194K in the 25-54 demo sought by advertisers in the primetime hours of 8 to 11 pm, while MSNBC averaged 1.15 million total viewers, with 143K in the demo. Fox couldn’t crack 2.8 million viewers, with 402K in the demo. In 2020, Fox News drew 4.4 million viewers overall, while 1.8 million people tuned into CNN and 2.5 million watched MSNBC. That was down 17% across the board from 2016 Iowa caucus viewership. By comparison, the NFL wild card game between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Philadelphia Eagles the same night drew 28.62 million viewers.

It was a little-kept secret of Trump’s rise that, even as he attacked American media and was treated by them as a threat to democracy, he rescued their advertising and subscription businesses. As CBS Chairman Les Moonves notoriously quipped to investors in February of 2016, “It may not be good for America, but it’s damn good for CBS.”

Media executives are beginning to reckon with the reality that the 2024 race won’t bring a “Trump bump” to save ad budgets or bring back readers, listeners, and viewers. In a public interview at Davos last week, the new Washington Post CEO, Will Lewis said the publication that boomed during the first Trump era will now be looking for subscribers elsewhere.

“I’m not convinced that will be the case,” Lewis said of predictions of another “Trump bump.”
Mike,

Nobody watches the Mainstream media any more. Your article said that CNN had 688k viewers, MSNBC 1.15 million, FOX had 2.8 million for their political content. That is pathetic.

Yet, they can draw 28.62 million viewers for a ball game. That tells you people don't trust CNN, MSNBS, or FOX for their politics, just sports.

Joe Rogan has 30 million people watch his podcasts.
Rogan is getting 200 million downloads a month, and his YouTube channel has over 10 Billion views:
https://atonce.com/blog/how-many-people ... -joe-rogan

Tucker Carlson from 6 to 120 million views:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/petersuciu ... 0df10224b7

Alex Jones has 2.4 million subscribers on just his YouTube channel:
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/th ... l/realtime
Jones was banned until recently on YouTube, so that is why there are only 2.4 million subscribers.
Jones has his own video hosting network and website where he gets 40 million views for his content.

If you are still watching CNN, you were born before 1990. And you are in the minority.
You have to be careful conflating downloads and view with actual people viewing.

Take Podcasts, for example. Most people do like me and subscribe to many various podcasts. I have probably subscribed to 40 or 50 over time and my phone keeps diligently downloading and indexing them every time I am on WiFi which is every day. But I really only even look at my Podcast app when I have a long drive in front of me and then just pick whatever interests me at the moment. That is usually some sort of history podcast. So I probably don't even listen to 1 in every 250 podcasts that get "downloaded" to my phone.

Likewise, YouTube, Twitter, etc. There are bazillion of bots that are out there crawling through those sites 24/7 and racking up views. Some is intentional, some is just indexing sites combing through stuff (Google itself does the same thing). So the actual number of real people that has seen any particular video is just a fraction of the number of hits registered on the view counter.

Likewise, twitter is equally fraudulent. If you just scroll past a tweet in your feed it counts as a view even if you didn't stop to look at it. So lots of those twitter views is just stuff people are scrolling past (or bots are scrolling past). And a lot of it is stuff people didn't even subscribe to if they are on the "for you" tab in twitter and not the "following" tab. So I'm pretty sure that Tucker Carlson gets counted as a view if I scroll past one of his tweets, even if I don't click on it and watch the actual video behind the tweet.

So while numbers of viewers online is no doubt large for guys like Rogan, the actual real numbers of real people who are actually listening to his 2.5 hour podcasts are probably just a small fraction of what is reported.

You see the same thing here. According to the counter, this thread has had 832 views. But how many real people do you think have actually seen it? I guarantee you the number is a lot less than 832.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
JohnHurt

Post by JohnHurt »

Ernie wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:36 pm
JohnHurt wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:19 amJim, it is not the Republicans that are violent, it is the Democrats.
What if its both?
Then the guilty from both parties should be put in jail.

Right now, only the members of one party seem to go to jail.
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

JohnHurt wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:38 am
Ernie wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:36 pm
What if its both?
Then the guilty from both parties should be put in jail.

Right now, only the members of one party seem to go to jail.
Members of the uniparty, career politicians, legacy politicians, etc., are 1 party charading as 2.
Of these, no difference at all.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
JohnHurt

Post by JohnHurt »

Ken wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:54 pm You have to be careful conflating downloads and view with actual people viewing.

Take Podcasts, for example. Most people do like me and subscribe to many various podcasts. I have probably subscribed to 40 or 50 over time and my phone keeps diligently downloading and indexing them every time I am on WiFi which is every day. But I really only even look at my Podcast app when I have a long drive in front of me and then just pick whatever interests me at the moment. That is usually some sort of history podcast. So I probably don't even listen to 1 in every 250 podcasts that get "downloaded" to my phone.

Likewise, YouTube, Twitter, etc. There are bazillion of bots that are out there crawling through those sites 24/7 and racking up views. Some is intentional, some is just indexing sites combing through stuff (Google itself does the same thing). So the actual number of real people that has seen any particular video is just a fraction of the number of hits registered on the view counter.

Likewise, twitter is equally fraudulent. If you just scroll past a tweet in your feed it counts as a view even if you didn't stop to look at it. So lots of those twitter views is just stuff people are scrolling past (or bots are scrolling past). And a lot of it is stuff people didn't even subscribe to if they are on the "for you" tab in twitter and not the "following" tab. So I'm pretty sure that Tucker Carlson gets counted as a view if I scroll past one of his tweets, even if I don't click on it and watch the actual video behind the tweet.

So while numbers of viewers online is no doubt large for guys like Rogan, the actual real numbers of real people who are actually listening to his 2.5 hour podcasts are probably just a small fraction of what is reported.

You see the same thing here. According to the counter, this thread has had 832 views. But how many real people do you think have actually seen it? I guarantee you the number is a lot less than 832.
Ken,

You have some good points.

I think if there was an "apples to apples" comparison, it would be easier to see the trends. But some trends don't need numbers to see the obvious.

Remember CNN+ with Chris Wallace? CNN+ was a subscription streaming service that lasted one month, as nobody watched it.

Oh well...

Maybe Chris Wallace could do a special on the "ratings war" between CNN vs Joe Rogan - if someone would just please watch Chris Wallace. (He is so dull.)

I read in Wikipedia that CNN is revamping the "Who is Listening to Chris Wallace" show by moving it to Saturday morning so it can go "head to head" with Saturday morning cartoons.

That should fix it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Wal ... llace_Show

And who could forget Brian Stelter?

Mr. Stelter was booted from CNN as a cost saving measure.

He is now a producer for Apple TV+ - another LameStream Media subscription service that no one watches.

For some reason, when I look at a picture of Brian Stelter, I see "Pennywise the Clown".

If Brian Stelter ran a day care, would you leave your child with him? Not me.

Have a great day.

John
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I can forget Brian Stetler because I have never heard of him until now. I barley know who Chris Wallace is but I have never listened to him, not once.

I do know who Rogan is because YouTube and Spotify constantly push him unbidden into my feed even though I never click on him. I must fall into his target demographic, white, male, middle age, blue collar... Spotify wants me to listen to a podcaster named Deace or Daece who introduces himself by yelling "The democratic party is a demonic construct."

I don't know exactly how the numbers and algorithms work but I can see how these big groups of followers are created and I can make some guesses about what drives them.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

There’s this company called Nielsen that makes it their entire business to figure out viewership numbers, and yes, traditional cable TV news is losing viewership very fast to new forms of media.
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

JimFoxvog wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:03 am
JohnHurt wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:09 pm The only way the Democrats can hold onto power in 2024 is to steal the election like they did in 2020, or kill the candidate that is the greatest threat to them.
The allegation that the election was stolen in 2020 has been disproved numerous times.
The 2020 election was interfered with through misinformation and lies, starting with the lie that Hunter's laptop was mere Russian disinformation. While those pushing the lie, knew full well in November 2019 that the laptop very real, when they confiscated it from the computer shop owner. Then there was the lie that DJT was working with Putin, something that Adam Schiff claimed he could back up with "hard evidence'. Yet Schiff NEVER produced that "hard evidence". And we know if there was any "hard evidence", surely the Trump hating Adam Schiff would have produced it. Schiff was so desperate for anything to get Trump, that he even fell for some pranksters who claimed they have naked photos of Trump.

The election may not have been stolen at the voting booth, but in a round about way it was stolen through lies and misinformation.
1 x