Wedding Cake Case in Supreme Court

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Wedding Cake Case in Supreme Court

Post by Bootstrap »

The Supreme Court has decided to take on the Wedding Cake case (Masterpiece Cakeshop, Ltd. v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission). This is a particularly good time to be praying.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Wedding Cake Case in Supreme Court

Post by Valerie »

Bootstrap wrote:The Supreme Court has decided to take on the Wedding Cake case (Masterpiece Cakeshop, Ltd. v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission). This is a particularly good time to be praying.
Amen!
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Bootstrap wrote:The Supreme Court has decided to take on the Wedding Cake case (Masterpiece Cakeshop, Ltd. v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission). This is a particularly good time to be praying.
And what exactly should we be praying to happen ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Sudsy wrote:And what exactly should we be praying to happen ?
We may each have a different sense how best to pray, and that's fine. I'd rather have this be a prayer thread than a debate thread.

I am praying that we can live in peace and tranquility in this land, without violating our faith, and that Christians can find ways to be loving without giving up biblical teaching. I am praying the same kind of thing with respect to church polity. I'm very open to other suggestions on how to pray, but please let's not have a debate about it in this thread. (I don't think you are encouraging debate here, Sudsy, I just feel that it's often harder to pray than to debate on forums, and there's a natural drag in that direction.)

Ultimately, it's in God's hands, and he knows best.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Bootstrap wrote:
Sudsy wrote:And what exactly should we be praying to happen ?
We may each have a different sense how best to pray, and that's fine. I'd rather have this be a prayer thread than a debate thread.

I am praying that we can live in peace and tranquility in this land, without violating our faith, and that Christians can find ways to be loving without giving up biblical teaching. I am praying the same kind of thing with respect to church polity. I'm very open to other suggestions on how to pray, but please let's not have a debate about it in this thread. (I don't think you are encouraging debate here, Sudsy, I just feel that it's often harder to pray than to debate on forums, and there's a natural drag in that direction.)

Ultimately, it's in God's hands, and he knows best.
Just curious as to how believers would pray on subjects like this. I agree that 'Ultimately, it's in God's hands, and he knows best' and that is how I try to look at these kind of issues. I am often reminded of the old hymn 'Leave it there, take your burdens to the Lord and leave it there. If you trust and never doubt, He will surely bring you out— Take your burden to the Lord and leave it there." For me, issues like this are 'trust' issues and I too often don't take it to the Lord and leave it there but retain anxieties over it.

I agree we do need to pray more if we are debating more than praying. I need these encouragements to pray over situations more. Thankyou.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Please keep praying about this. It may be decided soon.

And there's an excellent 1st Amendment argument that may tip this in our favor:
When other Colorado artists refused to create cakes inscribed with Bible verses opposing homosexuality, the Commission did not punish them. Phillips contends that the government is choosing to accept the refusal to create art with one religious message while punishing a refusal to create art based on a competing religious viewpoint. And if you doubt whether high-end cake bakers are “artists,” just ask the millions of viewers who tune in to Cake Boss and Cupcake Wars.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I think it will come down to they can not refuse to sell them a cake, but can refuse to decorate it a way that they feel is in opposing views of their beliefs.

Decoration is "icing" on the cake, so to say. Well, literally too, but the cake should be the issue as to equal rights and access, not the decoration.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Robert wrote:I think it will come down to they can not refuse to sell them a cake, but can refuse to decorate it a way that they feel is in opposing views of their beliefs.

Decoration is "icing" on the cake, so to say. Well, literally too, but the cake should be the issue as to equal rights and access, not the decoration.
This makes sense to me.
0 x
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Post by PetrChelcicky »

I pray that a rule will be established which protects just that party that has more to lose. This can be the one or the other party depending on the situation. If there is only one hostel in town and they refuse to give the homosexual couple a bed, the couple has more to lose. But if a baker is at risk to close his business merely because of a cake, the baker has more to lose. We all ought to side with the weaker party.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

PetrChelcicky wrote:I pray that a rule will be established which protects just that party that has more to lose. This can be the one or the other party depending on the situation. If there is only one hostel in town and they refuse to give the homosexual couple a bed, the couple has more to lose. But if a baker is at risk to close his business merely because of a cake, the baker has more to lose. We all ought to side with the weaker party.
What Biblical authority would you cite as authority for this idea?
0 x