Sending migrants on buses, trains, and planes...

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Sending migrants on buses, trains, and planes...

Post by Bootstrap »

Grace wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:31 pm
Kids in cages. Lots and lots of evidence that this happened. Dumping families on the streets in the middle of the night isn't this bad, but it's the same kind of "let's decide not to care about these people - and play politics with them".
The cages were built by Obama. Would you rather have the kids trafficked by evil cartels, the young girls raped, or cooked in a truck trailer? Cages do sound horrible, but I think that protecting the kids from evil people is still a better option, than having them abused by vile demonic men.
I think that's precisely the point - what are we doing to protect these children?

Do you think the best way is to dump them on the street in the middle of the night, without cooperating with local authorities so that they can make plans to help them?

Perhaps it would be useful to have a separate thread on strategies for protecting children from drug gangs and human trafficking. But I don't see Abbott's moves as an attempt to protect these children.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

Bootstrap wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:19 am
Kids in cages. Lots and lots of evidence that this happened. Dumping families on the streets in the middle of the night isn't this bad, but it's the same kind of "let's decide not to care about these people - and play politics with them".
The cages were built by Obama. Would you rather have the kids trafficked by evil cartels, the young girls raped, or cooked in a truck trailer? Cages do sound horrible, but I think that protecting the kids from evil people is still a better option, than having them abused by vile demonic men.
I think that's precisely the point - what are we doing to protect these children?

Do you think the best way is to dump them on the street in the middle of the night, without cooperating with local authorities so that they can make plans to help them?

Perhaps it would be useful to have a separate thread on strategies for protecting children from drug gangs and human trafficking. But I don't see Abbott's moves as an attempt to protect these children.
Are children being sent on the busses? I don't know.
0 x
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

Bootstrap wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:19 am

1 nuance I should maybe include in replying to Grace or others with similar views; when referring to "vile, demonic men"... Are you referring to the people who bring them to the border/facilitate their coming/crossing, entering - OR - the people, orgs/NGO's, angencies they interact with once across or in country?
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Jazman wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:02 pm 1 nuance I should maybe include in replying to Grace or others with similar views; when referring to "vile, demonic men"... Are you referring to the people who bring them to the border/facilitate their coming/crossing, entering - OR - the people, orgs/NGO's, angencies they interact with once across or in country?
Generally speaking, human traffickers who traffick children are often viewed by many people as "vile, demonic men".

If you feel some human traffickers are not such men, feel free to enlighten us.
0 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Nellie Bowles has a pretty go send up of the Border Crisis, this morning, in her Friday Newsletter:
Border crisis becoming impossible to ignore: The border crisis—yes, the Texas–U.S. border—has become hard to ignore: border patrol agents took over 225,000 migrants into custody in the first 27 days of December. Americans are frustrated, with 63 percent now saying Biden should be tougher on the border, according to a new CBS poll. Only 7 percent of Americans say the border is “not much of a problem.”

And now it’s the dead of winter, and America’s sanctuary cities are having to provide some of that sanctuary. So New York City turned a large public high school into a migrant shelter. To do this, they closed it to students and pivoted the kids to “remote” learning, which is fake, and they should stop pretending.

Is this a fancy high school where kids from middle class or rich families go? Of course not. New York City shut down a school where the majority of the kids are on free lunch and turned it into a shelter. Dalton is safe, don’t worry! St Ann’s, keep on keeping on! Apropos of nothing, the great Alec MacGillis has a piece in ProPublica on how Covid school closures made school seem optional and created a culture of chronic absenteeism.

In Chicago, parts of O’Hare were turned into a migrant shelter. As CBS described it: “After a long journey by bus from Texas, the commuter train ride into Chicago is probably the shortest trip for arriving migrants.” Yes, their long journey was from Texas. At this point it’s stolen valor: these folks hauled themselves across ganglands and over rivers, were tucked into truck beds, and survived the elements, and now they’re being treated like cousins who took the red eye in for the holidays. At the very least, give them some credit!

Listen, obviously migrants—who were encouraged to come to America by politicians with motives ranging from humanitarian to strategic—should not suffer in the cold. Not for a second. My feeling is that now that everyone agrees there’s a crisis, now that the schools are evacuated and O’Hare is a shelter, maybe Biden could deign to address it? Isn’t Kamala Harris our border czar? When’s the last time these guys gave a real press conference? When’s the last time they publicly answered any hard questions at all? I know it’s elder abuse–adjacent to ask this, and I promise he can get cozy again right after, but one idea is President Biden could acknowledge the border crisis and come up with a plan.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church