Sending migrants on buses, trains, and planes...

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Re: Sending migrants on buses, trains, and planes...

Post by joshuabgood »

You make too much of the effects of immigration or non-immigration, in the case of Europe. Cheap labor is important in the capitalist system but certainly not the driver. That, I think would be capital (private property).
It is not only about labor...not really at all. It is about demand.
I think immigration is a good thing but a country is by no means beholden to accept everyone that decides to pop on over. I would echo Josh in saying that a country, in the normal course of events, ought to think first and foremost about the well-being of its citizens. While immigration is good, mass immigration is not an unalloyed good. There are downsides and one ought to consider those when forming immigration policy.
I am fundamentally challenging the geo-political state as part of what is the Kingdom of God. And our role in that geo-political state.
To your later post, as of yet we don’t live in a border-less, one-world dystopia. Borders exist because nations exist. I’d say that’s a good thing. Personally, I don’t want MS13 and 18 Gang members, fleeing Bukele’s El Salvador to be be able to simply hop on over to Honduras, unhindered and unobstructed. I am thankful that the God-ordained authority in Honduras has seen fit to maintain its borders and keep those people out.
More of a utopia than dystopia. The point is, that geo-political states are intuitively clearly not aligned with God's Kingdom. We shouldn't align with their ends either.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

joshuabgood wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:43 am More of a utopia than dystopia. The point is, that geo-political states are intuitively clearly not aligned with God's Kingdom. We shouldn't align with their ends either.
The current status of the global empire is that they are very busy promoting the mass movement of peoples all over the place. If you don't want to be aligned with the ends of geo-political states, a good first place to start is by not supporting mass migration for economic reasons.
0 x
joshuabgood

Post by joshuabgood »

Josh wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:26 am
joshuabgood wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:43 am More of a utopia than dystopia. The point is, that geo-political states are intuitively clearly not aligned with God's Kingdom. We shouldn't align with their ends either.
The current status of the global empire is that they are very busy promoting the mass movement of peoples all over the place. If you don't want to be aligned with the ends of geo-political states, a good first place to start is by not supporting mass migration for economic reasons.
I support people being able to move, much like I (and you) have moved several times, in the interest of their/our families etc. The golden rule that Jesus taught is what I am advocating for.

Much like Abraham did, Paul did, Jesus did, etc etc etc.
3 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:28 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:12 am
Ernie wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:58 pm

Getting a year or two of training in the US and then letting them work here would result in more money flowing into the treasury coffers.
Since the “fifth pathway” closed, it is at least three years. Have to pass a test to get into residency, and one when you get out.

I am sure you are thinking about those medical schools in the Caribbean. Most of the students transfer to a u.s. school after their third year. Hence, they are u.s. grads.
Just anecdotally; I remember growing up there were a few, maybe 3 or 4, Syrian immigrant families in my town and most of the fathers of those families were surgeons. One was a neurosurgeon Dr. Rajjoub and the other Dr. Tuffaha a cardiologist I believe. The internet tells me they were trained in Damascus and Cairo respectively. They got visas to escape violence in Syria and began practicing in Williamsport, Pa almost immediately.
They almost certainly made use of what was called the “fifth pathway “ program. That has closed forever.

https://www.ecfmg.org/news/2010/05/04/i ... le-step-3/
0 x
:hug:
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Ernie wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:32 pm Just because a city decides to be a sanctuary city, does not mean they need to be able to accept migrants at all hours and many bus loads at once.
There are many other large cities that are sanctuary cities that they can go to until their city of preference is ready to take them.

I help support and sponsor refugees, but I am not able to help more than a few at a time. If someone wants to be sponsored by me, they will need to wait their turn. If they want someone to sponsor them now, there are others in the US that can do that. Just because they want me to sponsor them on their terms does not mean I need to do what they want.
Yet the illegals come through the southern border at all hours and times. All this does is disperse the chaos at the border to other places that claim they want it. So if they do not want it, they need to change their laws and processes. Why should Texas have to accept illegals at all hours and overload it's system when it does not want it but sanctuary cities can restrict times and how illegals go to them? That sounds biased.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

joshuabgood wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:31 amI support people being able to move, much like I (and you) have moved several times, in the interest of their/our families etc. The golden rule that Jesus taught is what I am advocating for.

I don't see in the Bible where it preaches open rebellion against various laws. One can continue to live a Christian life without first entering the United States.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:13 am
joshuabgood wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:31 amI support people being able to move, much like I (and you) have moved several times, in the interest of their/our families etc. The golden rule that Jesus taught is what I am advocating for.

I don't see in the Bible where it preaches open rebellion against various laws. One can continue to live a Christian life without first entering the United States.
There are some who say that entering the United States May be a determinate.
0 x
:hug:
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

joshuabgood wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:43 am
You make too much of the effects of immigration or non-immigration, in the case of Europe. Cheap labor is important in the capitalist system but certainly not the driver. That, I think would be capital (private property).
I think immigration is a good thing but a country is by no means beholden to accept everyone that decides to pop on over. I would echo Josh in saying that a country, in the normal course of events, ought to think first and foremost about the well-being of its citizens. While immigration is good, mass immigration is not an unalloyed good. There are downsides and one ought to consider those when forming immigration policy.
I am fundamentally challenging the geo-political state as part of what is the Kingdom of God. And our role in that geo-political state.
To your later post, as of yet we don’t live in a border-less, one-world dystopia. Borders exist because nations exist. I’d say that’s a good thing. Personally, I don’t want MS13 and 18 Gang members, fleeing Bukele’s El Salvador to be be able to simply hop on over to Honduras, unhindered and unobstructed. I am thankful that the God-ordained authority in Honduras has seen fit to maintain its borders and keep those people out.
More of a utopia than dystopia. The point is, that geo-political states are intuitively clearly not aligned with God's Kingdom. We shouldn't align with their ends either.
But God's Kingdom, real and present as it is, is not something we can stake out for ourselves a la the Papal States. Geo-political states will continue to exist until the end of time. Thus, your advocating for a borderless world does nothing to advance the Kingdom of God and simply aligns with and advances a worldly, ideological, political position.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Is Joshua really arguing for a "borderless world" or is that dismissive or exaggerated interpretation of his position.
1 x
joshuabgood

Post by joshuabgood »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:17 am
joshuabgood wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:43 am
But God's Kingdom, real and present as it is, is not something we can stake out for ourselves a la the Papal States. Geo-political states will continue to exist until the end of time. Thus, your advocating for a borderless world does nothing to advance the Kingdom of God and simply aligns with and advances a worldly, ideological, political position.
Our eschatology is likely not the same.
1 x