Not Partisan

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Not Partisan

Post by Ernie »

What sort of habits/patterns/practices do you expect from an individual or entity that is not partisan?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Not Partisan

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:16 pm What sort of habits/patterns/practices do you expect from an individual or entity that is not partisan?
They wouldn't even know what the term "partisan" mean and would never think about it.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

I would say that to be partisan means to hold an opinion and take sides on any subject related to the collective government of the nation, state, or locality, So for example:

taxes
business regulations
environmental regulations
health care regulations
financial regulations
international affairs
management of the national economy
criminal justice
immigration
public education
public infrastructure
firearms regulations
regulations related to religious liberty
And of course taking sides and holding opinions about who should hold office at the national, state, or local level.

So, for example, you may hold views about the science surrounding climate change and that isn't necessarily partisan. That is just science. But if you hold views about what your nation, state, or local government should or should not do about climate change. Then you are straying into the area of public policy and have partisan views.

People obviously vary in the degree to which they hold partisan views. But I would suggest that very few people are actually completely non-partisan.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Partisan: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/partisan

1: a firm adherent to a party, faction, cause, or person
especially : one exhibiting blind, prejudiced, and unreasoning allegiance
political partisans who see only one side of the problem
Not partisan habits/patterns/practices ..
those who reject THE END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS philosophy.

Jesus offered His better way.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:45 am
Partisan: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/partisan

1: a firm adherent to a party, faction, cause, or person
especially : one exhibiting blind, prejudiced, and unreasoning allegiance
political partisans who see only one side of the problem
Not partisan habits/patterns/practices ..
those who reject THE END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS philosophy.

Jesus offered His better way.
the end justifies the means
wrong or unfair methods may be used if the overall goal is good.
"we excuse our greed by claiming that the end justifies the means"
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Ken wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:02 pmBut I would suggest that very few people are actually completely non-partisan.
I agree. So how do they become this way?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:18 pm
Ernie wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:16 pmWhat sort of habits/patterns/practices do you expect from an individual or entity that is not partisan?
They wouldn't even know what the term "partisan" mean and would never think about it.
That fits some non partisan people I know, but the majority of people who are not familiar with the term "partisan" are indeed partisan, from my observation.
And, there are people who are not partisan who do know what the word means.
1 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Ernie wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:16 pm What sort of habits/patterns/practices do you expect from an individual or entity that is not partisan?
To take positions that are not determined by what political parties are saying on the subject.

For example, when I oppose abortion and homosexual "marriage" similar to one party, but support civil rights and environmental protection similar to the other major party, I feel I am being non-partisan.

When I refuse to vote for anyone in one of the parties because it is supporting extreme anti-democratic positions, then I am concerned that I am being partisan.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

My list...

From a secular perspective...
1. They don't consistently take up the talking points of Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, nor Greens
2. The speak favorably of various persons and policies and actions, no matter which party the one(s) being spoken about are from
3. They are willing to call out the abuse and neglect of various persons and policies and actions, no matter which party the one(s) being spoken about are from
4. They don't vote for the better of two evils. They vote for someone that they think will do the best job, regardless of whether that person has a chance of winning. And the person they vote for might be from any party or no party. If they don't know of anyone who would do a good job, they skip voting.

From a spiritual perspective...
5. And then there are a different sort of non-partisans who view themselves as ambassadors from heaven who do not get involved in the politics on earth. These are non-partisan in a different way, although I suppose you could say they are partisan in the sense that they are loyal to the kingdom of God and its values, which don't change over time. You won't find these folks championing a certain cause in one era, and then pushing for the opposite a generation or two later.
1 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

JimFoxvog wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:13 am When I refuse to vote for anyone in one of the parties because it is supporting extreme anti-democratic positions, then I am concerned that I am being partisan.
I am not sure I am getting what you are saying here.
0 x