OSS Psychological Profile of Adolph Hitler

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: OSS Psychological Profile of Adolph Hitler

Post by Josh »

Szdfan wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:18 pm
mike wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:16 pm So after all that the age of science and information has brought us, we are back to the same place we always were. The question of who to trust.
Absolutely. I think that's a question that never gets definitively answered.
Try the Bible
1 x
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

Really interesting source Boot. Thanks. I do an interstate/online video conf. book group and we've been reading, No Ordinary Men: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Hans von Dohnanyi, Resisters Against Hitler in Church and State I think I'll share this source with them.

In the past and with what I grew up learning in school about Hitler/Nazism, I cannot recall any discussion or exposition of the "christianeze" and religious motivations or appeals of the ideology/movement... But recently this has become my focus when trying to learn more. Based on hints and claims and questions raised by others, I think there's a lot more to pull on that thread, but it's an area not explored as much in 'popular' histories/discussions; so it's been a particular interest of mine. (Related shout-out to Anabaptist Perspectives - Chester Weaver's talk on Mennonite Nazis - also being a catalyst for my interest).
So this document reveals some compelling evidence that Hitler/Nazism DID have a religious angle, in fact a rather strong one, that looks more and more like some things I see and hear in the present. I strongly disagree with those who seem to want to ignore the study of this history, or seem to want to downplay or sweep away any parallels... I have to wonder why they would want to do that...
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Jazman wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:51 am In the past and with what I grew up learning in school about Hitler/Nazism, I cannot recall any discussion or exposition of the "christianeze" and religious motivations or appeals of the ideology/movement... But recently this has become my focus when trying to learn more. Based on hints and claims and questions raised by others, I think there's a lot more to pull on that thread, but it's an area not explored as much in 'popular' histories/discussions; so it's been a particular interest of mine. (Related shout-out to Anabaptist Perspectives - Chester Weaver's talk on Mennonite Nazis - also being a catalyst for my interest).
So this document reveals some compelling evidence that Hitler/Nazism DID have a religious angle, in fact a rather strong one, that looks more and more like some things I see and hear in the present. I strongly disagree with those who seem to want to ignore the study of this history, or seem to want to downplay or sweep away any parallels... I have to wonder why they would want to do that...
The Nazi movement was able to combine ideas from Paganism (worship of power, spirits of the age, man of destiny) in the high ranks with a church friendly program for the "volk". Strategically brilliant.
0 x