Information Rage?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Information Rage?

Post by MaxPC »

We were in a reception area for routine blood work at the doctor's this morning. They always have the tv on and we try to sit somewhere where we can't see it. But sadly we can still hear it.

The news was on and there was this story about a college professor who was ranting that the first responders should have let the Republicans die on the ball field. The rant was full of expletives. Apparently there are also other professors doing the same thing as they cited each case.

I was shocked. If one of our faculty had said those things in my day, he would have been immediately terminated and even arrested for terroristic threats! Mass media is full of this vitriolic verbiage. I quickly asked the receptionist to turn to the weather channel. That seems to be the only real information source left.

The Information Age has become the age of Narcissistic Rage. I've even noticed this verbal violence enter the speech of people around us as they bash their neighbor. Mass media does impact our behaviors The message of Christ and the example of authentic Christian discipleship is sorely needed.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: Information Rage?

Post by appleman2006 »

Seriously!!!! You actually heard a college professor say such a thing. :shock: That really is shocking to me.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

A former missionary colleague (unfortunately now apostate) with whom we wrote a linguistic article on the language with which we worked is "friends" on FaceBook, and I often have to purge his comments for this same reason. And he is provost at a leading university here in the US, previously head of linguistics at various universities around the world.
Speaking of FaceBook, I have reported posts at times for being inappropriate, and they don't even respond at all anymore. (When they have, they just say that it does not violate their policies. By the way, I am only on FB in order to maintain contact with my scattered family, and some missions news.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

appleman2006 wrote:Seriously!!!! You actually heard a college professor say such a thing. :shock: That really is shocking to me.
It's not particularly shocking to me that a college professor (presumably from a secular college) would say that sort of thing, but it is a bit surprising that he let himself be quoted in the media. Then again, academic tenure can diminish inhibitions.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

I'm afraid that (a) the professor's statements, (b) the news report, (c) this thread, and (d) this post are not as different from each other as we might wish.

"Just look as those bad people! Please join me in my disapproval of them."
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:Seriously!!!! You actually heard a college professor say such a thing. :shock: That really is shocking to me.
It's not particularly shocking to me that a college professor (presumably from a secular college) would say that sort of thing, but it is a bit surprising that he let himself be quoted in the media. Then again, academic tenure can diminish inhibitions.
Apparently this prof posted his rant on social media where quite a number read it and responded.

Neto, I think you're right: somehow apostate status leads to the unthinkable behaviors.

Query: what are some practical actions can we as Christians do in real time to set a better example without having to wade through the sludge of social media so to speak?
PeterG wrote:I'm afraid that (a) the professor's statements, (b) the news report, (c) this thread, and (d) this post are not as different from each other as we might wish.

Hardly, Peter: it's about raising awareness of a deteriorating situation and a call to define actions that can witness to Christ and improve the lives around us.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

MaxPC wrote:Query: what are some practical actions can we as Christians do in real time to set a better example without having to wade through the sludge of social media so to speak?
This thread is the sludge of social media.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

PeterG wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Query: what are some practical actions can we as Christians do in real time to set a better example without having to wade through the sludge of social media so to speak?
This thread is the sludge of social media.
Feeling hostile, Peter?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Once Again
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by Once Again »

I've noticed this on social media, too. People are not just expressing disagreement, they are wishing harm on people who hold differing opinions. Both sides of the political spectrum are doing this. It's over the top.
1 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

PeterG wrote:I'm afraid that (a) the professor's statements, (b) the news report, (c) this thread, and (d) this post are not as different from each other as we might wish.

Peter do you not believe there is a vast difference between expressing disapproval of someone or someone's actions and basically wishing out loud that they were dead or that calamity would hit them?
I think there is a huge difference and to equate the two is not really fair.
0 x