Information Rage?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Information Rage?

Post by Bootstrap »

ken_sylvania wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:If though in fact you have proof this is a fake news story than I will be more than happy to be relieved that in fact people are not that dense.
Uh, shouldn't the burden be to prove that the story is true before thinking (or speaking) ill of others? BTW, the individual who Max seems to be referring to insists that he was not saying that the Republicans should have been left to die at the ballfield. I think we would do well to be skeptical when we hear outraged outrageous reports until we have some kind of a confirmation.
Exactly. Let's not waste all that outrage on things that might not even be true. And let's be very aware that people want to manipulate our emotions with this kind of "news" - which is very often fake. In fact, people are that dense. And we are people. So we should be careful.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

ken_sylvania wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:If though in fact you have proof this is a fake news story than I will be more than happy to be relieved that in fact people are not that dense.
Uh, shouldn't the burden be to prove that the story is true before thinking (or speaking) ill of others? BTW, the individual who Max seems to be referring to insists that he was not saying that the Republicans should have been left to die at the ballfield. I think we would do well to be skeptical when we hear outraged outrageous reports until we have some kind of a confirmation.
Oh so it was Democrats that he felt should have been left to die? Or maybe some other group of people? Makes me feel a lot better.

As I said I did not see the post. I am relying on reports of what other people have read and what they thought he was saying. If he has apologized for the misunderstanding his words created and explained who exactly he thought should have been left to die that may make me feel a lot better as well. Providing it was something equivalent to a rat and I mean rat literally.

Actually if the comments he made are even close to what the Washington Post reported then it was pretty bad and every caring thinking person has the perfect right if not the obligation to be saddened and horrified by that. If he has apologized and removed the post than I am quite willing to forget the whole deal.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Bootstrap wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:
Exactly. Let's not waste all that outrage on things that might not even be true. And let's be very aware that people want to manipulate our emotions with this kind of "news" - which is very often fake. In fact, people are that dense. And we are people. So we should be careful.
Don't I know it. I well remember how much of that was done in your country just last year. I do not remember the same type of outrage when it was happening then but I agree it was just as wrong. I will be happy to find out that this story was a complete fabrication. I really really hope it was.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

appleman2006 wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:
Oh so it was Democrats that he felt should have been left to die? Or maybe some other group of people? Makes me feel a lot better.

As I said I did not see the post. I am relying on reports of what other people have read and what they thought he was saying. If he has apologized for the misunderstanding his words created and explained who exactly he thought should have been left to die that may make me feel a lot better as well. Providing it was something equivalent to a rat and I mean rat literally.

Actually if the comments he made are even close to what the Washington Post reported then it was pretty bad and every caring thinking person has the perfect right if not the obligation to be saddened and horrified by that. If he has apologized and removed the post than I am quite willing to forget the whole deal.
He says he was referring to allowing the system of white supremacy to die. (I hope he doesn't teach any writing classes, because his actual facebook post didn't communicate that very well.) Nevertheless, it seems to me almost as much of a stretch to conclude that he was advocating allowing the victims of the ballfield shooting to die uncared for. I expect such things from the unregenerate world. It does not concern me nearly as much as do similar viewpoints (don't allow Muslim refugees into the country, people should be responsible for their own health care, snide remarks about welfare recipients, etc.) expressed by fellow Christians who profess that Jesus' commands are meant to be followed literally.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

appleman2006 wrote:And just for the record I do not care at all "which side of the aisle" this college professor was on. I would of been equally shocked. That is not what this was about at least I never thought it was. This about a Trinity college professor going crazy on Facebook. The fact that he is a professor and not a student makes it extra horrifying IMO.

And it seems to have been reported by everything from the Blaze to the Washington Post but since I did not actually see the FB post perhaps it is still fake news. :D
You've got it in one, Appleman. It's about the behavior, not politics per se. Isn't it interesting how it shows which focus we have when we read a post. Some did focus on the shocking behavior. Others chose to focus on politics.

Re truth of the story, CNN was reporting this story on the tv at the doctor's office. I'm sure if CNN was reporting it, others have been too and they specifically mentioned the details I described. That said, it's still the behavior of the professor that is shocking to me. I don't embrace the political kingdom so that doesn't bother me. What does shock me is this behavior of wishing people to die coming from a professor who is charged with being an academic and ethical example to his students.

KB is the only one trying to answer my original query at the moment. Thank you KB.
KingdomBuilder wrote:Trying to be salt and light over social media amidst national "issues" seems futile. I think it more worthwhile and realistic to be salt and light in real personable ways.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:You've got it in one, Appleman. It's about the behavior, not politics per se. Isn't it interesting how it shows which focus we have when we read a post. Some did focus on the shocking behavior. Others chose to focus on politics.
Tail wagging the dog. The media says get riled up, you post here, no need to verify what's true and what isn't. The media gets to decide that we should be outraged, and if we aren't sure if it's true and wonder what was actually said, that's a problem with us. How dare we be skeptical when there's a chance to be outraged? That's playing right into the political outrage game that you claim to be against.

Can't we use MN for better purposes? And when you do this, can't we expect you to respond directly to the things we are saying instead of waving them off?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Bootstrap wrote:
MaxPC wrote:You've got it in one, Appleman. It's about the behavior, not politics per se. Isn't it interesting how it shows which focus we have when we read a post. Some did focus on the shocking behavior. Others chose to focus on politics.
Tail wagging the dog. The media says get riled up, you post here, no need to verify what's true and what isn't. The media gets to decide that we should be outraged, and if we aren't sure if it's true and wonder what was actually said, that's a problem with us. How dare we be skeptical when there's a chance to be outraged? That's playing right into the political outrage game that you claim to be against.

Can't we use MN for better purposes? And when you do this, can't we expect you to respond directly to the things we are saying instead of waving them off?
The "News" stuff on most TV is propaganda, my friend. They made SURE even family in prewar Germany could own a wireless set, through standardization and subsidy. Britain was still building consumer radios in the middle of the war. ( I would LOVE to try to restore one of these) Now the politicians don't have to subsidize them, we buy them at cost, and pay to subsidize the content to boot. It is designed to cause outrage and anger.

I can't believe how less upset I get since I got rid of my TV a few years go. It is in my view, one of the most enlightened policies of the movement of which I am a part.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: I can't believe how less upset I get since I got rid of my TV a few years go. It is in my view, one of the most enlightened policies of the movement of which I am a part.

J.M.
Agreed. We don't own a tv at all. Sitting in a doctor's office there are usually tvs blaring. It's difficult to avoid. The story though is shocking, especially when an academic is involved. Going back to my original query, do you have a suggestion for a Christian response to such vitriol?

In the past when encountering such hatred and bashing I usually tell the person I'll pray for you. JM do you have an additional suggestion?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

MaxPC wrote:Going back to my original query, do you have a suggestion for a Christian response to such vitriol?
Sharing the love of Jesus and praying for lost souls. Where sin abounds, grace abounds all the more. A Romans 5;20 paraphrase - “For wherever sin exists in abundance and is multiplying and constantly expanding, that is precisely the time and place where grace is poured out in a far greater, surpassing quantity.”
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

MaxPC wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote: I can't believe how less upset I get since I got rid of my TV a few years go. It is in my view, one of the most enlightened policies of the movement of which I am a part.

J.M.
Agreed. We don't own a tv at all. Sitting in a doctor's office there are usually tvs blaring. It's difficult to avoid. The story though is shocking, especially when an academic is involved. Going back to my original query, do you have a suggestion for a Christian response to such vitriol?

In the past when encountering such hatred and bashing I usually tell the person I'll pray for you. JM do you have an additional suggestion?
I try my best to ignore it, and give it all of the attention it deserves....none.

J.M.
0 x
:hug: