Information Rage?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Information Rage?

Post by Sudsy »

I think there can be a problem with too much removing ourselves from observing the realities of what is going on in the other kingdom. I'm glad the bible gives us some particulars of sinful settings and activities that show us how far sin may abound. For instance, the Sodom and Gomorrah texts and the sins of David and Samson and just how evil the apostle Paul was before conversion, etc. No running away and hiding from these realities of what does happen in this world. I have seen some who remove themselves so far from sinful settings that they have become unconcerned and caring for those bound by sin. Jesus was quite aware of the sins of the worst of sinners and He reached out to them to show them the way of escape.

So, I'm not in favour of ignoring what is going on in the world and discussing this at times and I am surprised when some people give way to anger or slander in a way I didn't expected they would. I'm still surprised at times (thank God they are fewer) at myself when I give way to the flesh and spew out some venom. I often think of that verse that says to take heed of thinking we can't sin in a certain way because we may get caught doing the same. Jesus said calling a brother a fool is committing murder in our heart. How often have I murdered someone, God knows. I was like the apostle Peter years ago and really thought 'not me Lord' when it came to backsliding but it happened. I like the attitude that 'but for the grace of God, there go I'.

I really don't see Jesus in scripture as one who takes a blind eye to what is going on but rather is one who engages the sinner in the sinner's environment. Religious folk tried to slander Him and called Him the friend of sinners. Is that what they call me and if so, is it in the way Jesus was a friend of sinners ? I'm afraid at times it isn't.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

MaxPC wrote: .. Social decay in the form of death threats and wishing anyone dead;
the absence of the once held professional standards among academics; it's all a shock to me.

I come from academia that once insisted on taking the higher ground in discourse instead of the abusive vitriol that seems to be more prevalent. I've been told there have been at least two more professors who've crossed that line in recent months ..
hopefully, this is backfiring, surely it cannot be sustainable.
as Neto expressed, "talk in the streets" is one thing, there will always be awful things said by someone!
but, for those in positions of leadership, these need to be held accountable, to the point of being dismissed, if not prosecuted, depending on content. inciting riots, random violence, is not ok.
this is exactly what Muslim extremist leaders do, calling individuals to suicide bombings, etc.
there are people who will act out these calls for violence.

now added to the list of politicians, media, professors, are actors/entertainers, who have unmerited influence on too many. the grave sins of idol worship, celebrations of pride, are running rampant today.

i was not a fan of George W as POTUS, he made abundant errors.
but. after he left office, he flawlessly modeled respect for the office of POTUS, and his successor.
in this way, he is a valuable role model. i'm certain it was not as easy as he made it appear.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

PeterG wrote:
GaryK wrote:I'm wondering if PeterG isn't pointing out that when we (in Christ's Kingdom) see/hear people in a secular society involved in denouncing and threatening each other and saying all kinds of "horrible" things, that's par for the course. That's part of the other kingdom. Why use social media to point out how "terrible" our society has gotten? Perhaps trying to address people's heart issues is a better and more Kingdom-minded way to effect change in our society.

That's what I'm getting from his posts, but I could very well be mistaken.
Yes, that's basically what I was saying, and perhaps I should have said it that way in the first place.

Regardless of whether it was conscious/intentional or not, this thread began by situating the topic in a partisan political context. We're playing their game (unwittingly, I hope).
MaxPC wrote:It's about raising awareness of a deteriorating situation and a call to define actions that can witness to Christ and improve the lives around us.
In my observation, people on MN are very well aware that some people say horrible things about their political opponents. If anything, we need a greater awareness of how normal and un-shocking this is. At root, it has nothing to do with our society's political circumstances and everything to do with fallen human nature. When we foreground the political context we detract from this vastly more important point.
Amen. Very well said.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote:I think there can be a problem with too much removing ourselves from observing the realities of what is going on in the other kingdom. I'm glad the bible gives us some particulars of sinful settings and activities that show us how far sin may abound. For instance, the Sodom and Gomorrah texts and the sins of David and Samson and just how evil the apostle Paul was before conversion, etc. No running away and hiding from these realities of what does happen in this world. I have seen some who remove themselves so far from sinful settings that they have become unconcerned and caring for those bound by sin. Jesus was quite aware of the sins of the worst of sinners and He reached out to them to show them the way of escape.

So, I'm not in favour of ignoring what is going on in the world and discussing this at times and I am surprised when some people give way to anger or slander in a way I didn't expected they would. I'm still surprised at times (thank God they are fewer) at myself when I give way to the flesh and spew out some venom. I often think of that verse that says to take heed of thinking we can't sin in a certain way because we may get caught doing the same. Jesus said calling a brother a fool is committing murder in our heart. How often have I murdered someone, God knows. I was like the apostle Peter years ago and really thought 'not me Lord' when it came to backsliding but it happened. I like the attitude that 'but for the grace of God, there go I'.

I really don't see Jesus in scripture as one who takes a blind eye to what is going on but rather is one who engages the sinner in the sinner's environment. Religious folk tried to slander Him and called Him the friend of sinners. Is that what they call me and if so, is it in the way Jesus was a friend of sinners ? I'm afraid at times it isn't.
Amen and amen!
:up:
The fact that Jesus confronted the culture of His day and modeled the higher road of Faith and Charity sets an example for us all. He didn't worship political ideologies; He didn't try to rationalize away the problems of others. When needed he showed compassion and likewise when needed, he gave a clear instruction of true discipleship. Jesus is direct, clear and honest.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Page 1:
PeterG wrote:I'm afraid that (a) the professor's statements, (b) the news report, (c) this thread, and (d) this post are not as different from each other as we might wish.

"Just look as those bad people! Please join me in my disapproval of them."
this is common, and, unsettling language. the general "us and them" thing.
From Page 5, above:
Peter:
In my observation, people on MN are very well aware that some people say horrible things about their political opponents. If anything, we need a greater awareness of how normal and un-shocking this is.
At root, it has nothing to do with our society's political circumstances and everything to do with fallen human nature. When we foreground the political context we detract from this vastly more important point.
the CM (?) "us and them" thing (?)

basically, i find no fault or surprise with Max's OP. for those who stay away from the media, a report like this one HAS to be a shock, and disturbing, or else, you're numb. i see these things, they are sickening. i'm glad to witness, lots of people are rejecting these messages, i hope they will dissipate. the sooner the better.

when people resort to such low tactics, they must be on their last legs. it cannot be sustainable.
after the shock, there is no substance to continue. nothing to build on.

this is where Jesus provides. He is the rock to build on, for eternity. :D
Matthew 7:24
23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness.’

24Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.

25The rain fell, the torrents raged, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because its foundation was on the rock.…
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Perhaps a good start is to find someone who is expressing angry thoughts like death wishes against their ideological enemies, and find a way to be Jesus to them. If you think such a person is your enemy, find a way to love them.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:Perhaps a good start is to find someone who is expressing angry thoughts like death wishes against their ideological enemies, and find a way to be Jesus to them. If you think such a person is your enemy, find a way to love them.
yes. those resorting to such low means must be in torment, and in need of Light.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote:
Josh wrote:Perhaps a good start is to find someone who is expressing angry thoughts like death wishes against their ideological enemies, and find a way to be Jesus to them. If you think such a person is your enemy, find a way to love them.
yes. those resorting to such low means must be in torment, and in need of Light.
Perhaps we are in need of Light ourselves, and we should look away from this darkness instead of focusing on spreading it.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:
temporal1 wrote:
Perhaps we are in need of Light ourselves, and we should look away from this darkness instead of focusing on spreading it.
Light is an interesting living thing.
when we share it, it gets all over us, as well.
0 x

UNKNOWN
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Post by haithabu »

I am personally alarmed at the growing prevalence of statements such as that reported. There does seem to be a growing lack of restraint in people who should know better making inflammatory statements and our media repeats, amplifies and reposts the worst of them ad infinitum. I think of the process of nuclear fission where one atom decays and throws off neutrons which strike other atoms, causing them to undergo fission, etc.

This is very dangerous to the future of your nation. As James writes:
Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark.
A process like this should naturally be of great interest to us as Christians and I believe is worthy of discussion, not only because it potentially impacts on our future ability to practice our faith freely and in peace, but also in order to encourage each other not to get sucked into the cycles of hostility that we see emerging around us.

The other thing that comes to my mind is that the prevalence of these sorts of interactions are exactly what are prophesied for the last days.
But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash.... 2 Timothy 3:1-4
It is no wonder that Jesus said that people would rise against people and brother would betray brother to death, because that is exactly what this sort of thing leads to. We've seen it happen in Eastern Europe, in Yugoslavia, in Rwanda and elsewhere. Who is to say that America is exempt? It's not.
0 x