Congressional Effectiveness

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Congressional Effectiveness

Post by Ernie »

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... y-00128949

I found this article interesting.

Made me wonder whether there was a time when Congress got more done because there were more moderates? If so, when were those years?

And if you like, you can talk about whether these same forces show up in churches and what that looks like. (please talk about it nicely :-) )

Please keep partisan comments/debates out of this thread - avoid comments that reflect negatively on either right-leaning or left leaning political persuasions or characters. Please keep this thread focused on the topic.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Political Fantasies

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:02 pm https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... y-00128949

I found this article interesting.

Made me wonder whether there was a time when Congress got more done because there were more moderates? If so, when were those years?
Yes there were times.

Look up the first several years of the FDR administration. They did a tremendous amount fighting the Great Depression through the New Deal

Or look up Congress during the Lincoln presidency which got a tremendous amount done once all the Southerners took all their marbles and left. Not just war things but other accomplishments like the Land Grant colleges, building of railroads, homestead act and so forth. One might not agree with all of them but they were certainly consequential.

If you want a more conservative time when a lot was accomplished look to the Eisenhower administration.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr