Matt Taibbi

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Matt Taibbi

Post by temporal1 »

MATT TAIBBI

J P Peterson - Matt Taibbi / This Podcast Will Polarize You – And It Should | Matt Taibbi | EP 392 / 1hr 42min
Description:
Dr. Jordan B Peterson sits down with author and journalist Matt Taibbi.
They discuss his early career both in journalism and professional basketball, his time in the U.S.S.R. learning Russian and publishing a successful gonzo-inspired newspaper, and his breaking coverage of the subprime mortgage bubble.
They also examine the state of the world today with Russia and the U.S. military industrial complex, the upcoming presidential election, and the dire necessity for alternative news sources.

Matt Taibbi is an award-winning investigative reporter and one of America’s more recognizable literary voices.
In 2002, Taibbi began work as a contributing editor for Rolling Stone. There he won the National Magazine Award for commentary.
He is best known for his coverage of four presidential campaigns, of the 2008 financial crisis, and the criminal justice system.
He has written ten books, including four New York Times bestsellers: The Great Derangement, Griftopia, The Divide, and Insane Clown President.
His book, I Can’t Breathe, about the police killing of Eric Garner, was named one of the year’s ten best books by the Washington Post. His latest book about media division, Hate Inc., has been hailed by everyone from Joe Rogan to Publishers Weekly,
and called “The best explanation of media behavior since Manufacturing Consent” by Glenn Greenwald.

- Chapters -
(0:00) Coming up
(0:32) Intro
(1:21) Professional sports in Europe
(4:47) In the domiciles of the former Soviet Union
(7:07) The Moscow Times, the eXile
(10:15) Hunter S. Thompson, Gonzo Journalism
(11:47) The loss of the narratively-interesting journalist
(13:45) Noam Chomsky
(14:29) The Russia-Ukraine conflict, expansion of NATO
(18:54) Who benefits from the proxy war?
(24:55) If they’d given Trump the Nobel Peace Prize
(28:49) The lack of an anti-war movement
(29:55) Campaign reporting, why Trump was such a disruptor
(36:24) Hilary Clinton, red flags for the singular pursuit of power
(38:33) Why small business owners vote for big business candidates
(41:17) The degree of blindness was staggering, “the most experienced insider”
(43:40) RFK Jr’s campaign manager, a groundswell of frustration
(46:37) Heyday of the Rolling Stone, reporting on the economy
(50:00) The 2008 collapse explained
(56:43) Should more people have been prosecuted after 2008?
(1:00:20) The rise of woke capitalism, false contrition?
(1:04:53) Insane Clown President
(1:06:53) First impressions of Trump from the 2016 campaign trail
(1:09:16) Manipulation or leadership?
(1:16:28) The issue with cops, stats-based policing regimes, and ethnic relations
(1:23:03) Hate Inc. and audience optimization
(1:28:47) The Munk Debates, facing Malcolm Gladwell
(1:35:09) The Twitter Files

- - - - - - -

Other forum topics with references to Matt Taibbi:

Elon Musk ..
viewtopic.php?t=4713&start=800
Coronavirus ..
viewtopic.php?t=2701&start=7220
Gender confusion
viewtopic.php?t=4689&start=240
Iranians cheer ..
viewtopic.php?t=5182&start=10
Russians invade ..
viewtopic.php?t=4584&start=2050
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Matt Taibbi

Post by barnhart »

"This podcast will polarized you..."
2 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

One of my favourite journalists. Been reading him since the 1990s.
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

barnhart wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:31 am "This podcast will polarized you..."
^^so often, titles/subject lines don’t match content. or, are click-bait. even in msm.
this is now so routine, i often ignore headlines, go straight to content.
Josh wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:20 am One of my favourite journalists. Been reading him since the 1990s.
i’d not paid attention before reading of your interest in him. i’ve not been disappointed. he has a gift of humility that lends to his credibility. i’ve been introduced to several sources on this forum that were new to me, or that i’d not studied.

HK is a treasure trove. he makes me smile.
(to me) he seems so “old school” in how he READS, not at all limited to what msm feeds/googles to the public.

more like education before tech/google. taught+expected in basic education, degrees not required.
schools were committed to preparing students for their full adult lives with 9-12 years. HS diplomas were respected and had tangible value.

HK is not the only guilty member here. guilty of reading and thinking. :lol:
it’s one of the forum’s attractions.

disclaimer ..
i don’t mean to suggest i know about anyone’s formal ed, and, i value formal ed.
my intent was to point out that, in the past, more was expected from basic ed, and many acquired skills to continue lifelong learning and success without the current model that fairly devalues both HS diplomas AND many-many college degrees,

wrt to the interview/chat above, i’m impressed with their interesting discussion, esp because they were interested in and respected each other’s thoughts, often agreeing, even with differing paths. so often, contest+arguments, insults, show up, civil discussion seems passe’.

JBP often has a caustic approach, MT rarely-never does?

[The date on this YT video is end of October.] ??
i have to think it must have been recorded BEFORE Oct 7 2023, there’s not a mention of the Hamas attack on Israel.

Just minutes in, my hope for humanity was encouraged.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

Not so long ago Matt Taibbi was considered part of the far left... Do you know this Temp? Or is he saying things now that you like to hear and therefore you're interested now?

I'm with Barnhart on this one... the "this should polarize you" is a red flag. (At least that's what I think Barnhart was suggesting... Maybe I'm wrong on that and welcome correction)
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Jazman wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:52 pm Not so long ago Matt Taibbi was considered part of the far left... Do you know this Temp? Or is he saying things now that you like to hear and therefore you're interested now?

I'm with Barnhart on this one... the "this should polarize you" is a red flag. (At least that's what I think Barnhart was suggesting... Maybe I'm wrong on that and welcome correction)
I’m new to Matt T, not well-versed with JBP.
I enjoy Matt, he’s conscientious about disclosing his background (as is Josh) I appreciate having that extra info to help with perspective.

I enjoy JBP, too, altho he’s harder to appreciate, he’s direct and can seem harsh. I have to try harder to understand him.

I enjoyed their dialogue.

I’m not sure what barnhart was edging for.
In this case and lots of others, I fairly ignore the headline, try to figure out content. I’m not impressed with headline writers.

This video is lengthy.
I’m pretty sure most won’t listen.
I understand that.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:47 pm
Jazman wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:52 pm Not so long ago Matt Taibbi was considered part of the far left... Do you know this Temp? Or is he saying things now that you like to hear and therefore you're interested now?

I’m new to Matt T, not well-versed with JBP.
I enjoy Matt, he’s conscientious about disclosing his background (as is Josh) I appreciate having that extra info to help with perspective.

I enjoy JBP, too, altho he’s harder to appreciate, he’s direct and can seem harsh. I have to try harder to understand him.

I enjoyed their dialogue.

I’m not sure what barnhart was edging for.
In this case and lots of others, I fairly ignore the headline, try to figure out content. I’m not impressed with headline writers.

This video is lengthy.
I’m pretty sure most won’t listen.
I understand that.
Some fair points; I just think it's interesting that you would seem to be trusting someone like Matt Taibbi now... maybe you should look into his background and what he's generally supported / stood for...
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Jazman wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:57 pm Some fair points; I just think it's interesting that you would seem to be trusting someone like Matt Taibbi now... maybe you should look into his background and what he's generally supported / stood for...
:? i don’t subscribe to the notion that because anyone shares quotes/content here that translates into “trust.”
Interest, admiration, curiosity, etc.-etc., are not necessarily trust.

When i quote or share the NYT, WSG, AP, Matt Walsh, or Jesse Lee Peterson, or other, that most often means i’m interested, and hoping for others’ response. (i think) i draw from a broad spectrum of sources. i’m not ashamed of that.

Evidently, some read “TRIBE” into everything, then, for them, that’s what sticks.

To repeat, Matt T is open+up-front about his background. Hard to miss it.

Could it be i might not be as shallow/one-dimensional as you’d prefer?

You might not have noticed a few times when i described voting for Shirley Chisolm as a young woman?
i remember thinking she was “a good idea.”

Later, i question whether women should vote, and, definitely, the voting age should be raised to 30-60, undecided on details.

Altho not Anabaptist, i only ever voted infrequently, and never joined any political party, never contributed or lobbied.
Most eligible U.S. voters don’t; no matter what they say, politicians count on it.

To repeat, i found the OP video interesting, i’ve found Matt T interesting in other forum content. Full stop.
I appreciated the nature of their discussion, this is a discussion forum. Full stop.

i don’t understand either gentleman to be .. partisan, really. Is common sense partisan? Hopefully, not a goal.

i appreciate this brief interlude:
Josh wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:48 pm
AndersonD wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:40 pm
Josh wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:13 am Some of us are aligned neither with D nor R,
yet make an objective analysis that the Democratic machine relies on fraud on a mass scale.
May I ask who the "us" are that are politically independent?
I'm speaking for myself, but I suspect there are others on this forum who are not partisan and maintain an independent perspective.
To repeat my thinking, i don’t sense an INHERENT difference between political parties.
That doesn’t mean one or the other isn’t dominating in any given moment, it’s likely this is happening.

Is “perfect balance” even possible on earth? i seriously doubt it.
0 x

UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:25 pm To repeat, i found the OP video interesting, i’ve found Matt T interesting in other forum content. Full stop.
I appreciated the nature of their discussion, this is a discussion forum. Full stop.
Yes, this is a discussion forum, but you didn't discuss the video; you posted it without addressing your opinion of the content (other than it was interesting and you enjoyed watching it). From the chapter listing, it appears to cover a lot of ground; was there something in particular you think is worth discussing?
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Taibbi was a liberal and is a liberal. He also happens to be someone who seems to care about the truth and isn’t afraid to speak truth to power. I value that regardless of political affiliation.
1 x