House Speaker

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: House Speaker

Post by temporal1 »

temporal1 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:24 pm As with every election, appointment, prayers for leadership, esp if it can be inspired leadership.
God is in control.
i have no idea what’s been going on over this, was willing to let it play out, and pray for positive outcomes.
pretty happy pelosi is .. not Speaker. also, not so happy she’s not seeing fit to retire.

i listened to this, i think this is a good start:

Mike Johnson / Full remarks / 18min
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Grace wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:05 am
They were hoping to punish McCarthy for agreeing to negotiate with the Democrats and for bringing the budget resolution to the floor that prevented a government shutdown.
Yet the eight led by Gaetz, sided with the Democrats to oust McCarthy. Makes no sense.
I suppose Democrats could have acted to spite Gaetz and company to keep McCarthy in power (or later vote a more moderate, non-election denier like Emmer in) - but In today's political climate, I don't suspect it is likely for a member of either party to vote for the opposing party's Speaker candidate.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Dan Z wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:19 am
They were hoping to punish McCarthy for agreeing to negotiate with the Democrats and for bringing the budget resolution to the floor that prevented a government shutdown.
Yet the eight led by Gaetz, sided with the Democrats to oust McCarthy. Makes no sense.
I suppose Democrats could have acted to spite Gaetz and company to keep McCarthy in power (or later vote a more moderate, non-election denier like Emmer in) - but In today's political climate, I don't suspect it is likely for a member of either party to vote for the opposing party's Speaker candidate.
That would have accomplished nothing and gone against longstanding norms. Which is that each party picks its own leader. Republicans vote for their own candidate and Democrats vote for their own candidate. And if that had actually happened, conservative Republicans could have challenged the speakership the next day like they did with McConnell and with only 5 votes, could have brought him back down. So it would not have been sustainable.

And any Republican who relied on Democratic votes to bypass Republican opposition to his leadership would have instantly become persona non grata within the party.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

Given the moral/ethical character of Gaetz and co and the real reason(s) they seek to inhabit their seats, (as opposed to what they say to voters or constituents), then I think it actually does make some sense...
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Jazman wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:45 am
Given the moral/ethical character of Gaetz and co and the real reason(s) they seek to inhabit their seats, (as opposed to what they say to voters or constituents), then I think it actually does make some sense...
In what way do you think the moral/ethical character of Gaetz and co. are substantially different from the moral/ethical character of all other members of Congress?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Does anyone think the new speaker will last more than 6 weeks.
0 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

I agree with Rep. Gaetz that the house should return to regular order.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

mike wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:14 am
Jazman wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:45 am

In what way do you think the moral/ethical character of Gaetz and co. are substantially different from the moral/ethical character of all other members of Congress?
I don't think it is an issue of moral/ethical character. I think Gaetz and co. simply do not view their duty and responsibility to be governing the country through democratic processes. Rather, they see their mission as using the levers of power to force through a set of minority policies that do not even have the support of their own party. And to tear the place down in the process.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

barnhart wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:56 am Does anyone think the new speaker will last more than 6 weeks.
For all our sakes, I certainly hope so.

I don't know much about Mike Johnson, but at first blush, sounds like he votes quite conservatively, but more importantly, he seems principle-driven, faith-grounded, and more inclined than Jordan to govern rather than sew dysfunction.

My biggest concerns (that, frankly, raise some integrity questions) are his participation in placating and perpetuating Trump's 2020 election fantasies, and his bent toward voting for hard-line democracy-harming solutions like shutting the government down and invalidating the election results. Now that he's "the man," we'll see how he leads.
3 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

I'm not optimistic about his tenure. What Gaetz inc puts up, they can take down. He might just be a sacrificial lamb to get through the emergency budget stuff then the long knives come out again.
1 x