House Speaker

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: House Speaker

Post by Josh »

Hasn’t Congress passed enough legislation? Seems we’re all better off when they’re gridlocked.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ohio jones wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:11 pm
Dan Z wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:52 pm
ohio jones wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:19 pm
You very narrowly escaped being represented by Mr. Jordan a few years ago. ;)
And you weren’t so fortunate… 8-)
Actually I was, and even with a one-county buffer. But the latest regerrymandering has kaptured my county in an urban Democratic district, which has a latta people upset.
Fun fact: I canvassed for her a while ago. A real staple figure of the “old guard” Ohio D.P. much line Brown, Kucinich, Trafficant or my old favourite, mayor White.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Doesn't look like it is going to happen for Jordan. Every time he calls a new vote he keeps bleeding more. This morning he lost 8 more votes compared to yesterday and is doing worse than Scalise or McCarthy.

None of these alternate speaker candidates can even muster the same support that McCarthy had. McCarthy got more GOP votes when he was removed from speaker than ANY of the alternative candidates are getting to replace him.

At some point I expect they are going to have to stop banging their heads against a brick wall and realize that fact and go back to McCarthy.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:53 am Hasn’t Congress passed enough legislation? Seems we’re all better off when they’re gridlocked.
It isn't about legislation. No one really expects any major new legislation out of a gridlocked congress.

It is about doing their constitutional duty to pass a budget and fund the government. It is right there in Article 1 of the Constitution.
2 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Ken wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:12 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:53 am Hasn’t Congress passed enough legislation? Seems we’re all better off when they’re gridlocked.
It isn't about legislation. No one really expects any major new legislation out of a gridlocked congress.

It is about doing their constitutional duty to pass a budget and fund the government. It is right there in Article 1 of the Constitution.
I agree...I know that conservative ideology sometimes says "less governing is better governing," and gridlock seems to serve this purpose. But I believe institutional dysfunction will ultimately harm or cripple societal advancement. Conservatives would do well to do their duty and pass (or limit) laws in harmony with their convictions (and within the tolerances of the electorate) rather than to use dysfunction as a governing tactic.
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Dan Z wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:05 pm

I agree...I know that conservative ideology sometimes says "less governing is better governing," and gridlock seems to serve this purpose. But I believe institutional dysfunction will ultimately harm or cripple societal advancement. Conservatives would do well to do their duty and pass (or limit) laws in harmony with their convictions (and within the tolerances of the electorate) rather than to use dysfunction as a governing tactic.
Congress also has oversight duties over all the agencies, legislation, and budgets within its jurisdiction. So a VERY BIG part of their job and the job of all the various committees within the house is:

1. Holding oversight hearings on how EXISTING laws are working or not working so they can repeal, amend, or reauthorize existing legislation

2. Hold hearings and conduct oversight over the OPERATIONS of various agencies from immigration to the environment to defense. Are the various federal agencies doing a good job or not? If not, what needs to be fixed?

2. Review and pass federal budgets for each agency of the government. And conduct oversight over how federal tax dollars are being used or misused.

None of that important work is getting down while the House is not functioning because they cannot manage to select a Speaker.
Last edited by Ken on Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

The idea that no government or a dysfunctional government is a good thing is a luxury afforded to those who have the pleasure of government that has generally worked for them. A brief stint in a place with truly dysfunctional government would likely disabuse that feeling.
6 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Dan Z wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:05 pm

Seriously, do they believe in the Constitution at all? Do they remember what conservatives used to promote before the "burn it all down" phase? Yes, Jamaal Bowman should face consequences for shutting down Congress by pulling a fire alarm. But Matt Gaetz has shut down Congress for much longer, and Jim Jordan is stretching it out longer and longer. With Trump's encouragement.

The House has a Constitutional duty to perform. When they shut down the House, they don't stop fundraising or mugging for the cameras. They just stop even pretending to try to understand and solve real problems or do anything at all that the American people actually elected them to do.

If I don't do my job, I get fired. If they don't believe in Congress, they should find another job.
2 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

It looks like Jim Jordan is no longer the Speaker designee.
0 x
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

Bootstrap wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:27 pm But Matt Gaetz has shut down Congress for much longer, and Jim Jordan is stretching it out longer and longer. With Trump's encouragement.
Can you cite your source for Trump encouraging Jordan to stretch this out longer and longer?
0 x