House Speaker

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: House Speaker

Post by Dan Z »

appleman2006 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:01 pm Dan Dan. I never would have guessed.
Well… It was just a matter of time before I was found out I guess. Yes, I am a political operative…

…and what better cover than conservative Anabaptism. :-)
1 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Dan Z wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:02 am
appleman2006 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:01 pm Dan Dan. I never would have guessed.
Well… It was just a matter of time before I was found out I guess. Yes, I am a political operative…

Camp Koronis is now going to take its place alongside Camp David ...
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:50 am
Dan Z wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:02 am

Camp Koronis is now going to take its place alongside Camp David ...
I’d be all for it if we could get a repeat of the Camp Koronis Accords.
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

So it appears that Johnson is in hot water for passing bills using Democratic votes.

It seems to me that his other option is to pass no bills of importance. (Which I think some folks like Jim Jordan would be doing had they been elected Speaker of the House.)

So why do you think Johnson is passing these bills?
Is it to assuage the moderates in the party?
Does he have some political goal?
Or does he believe he has a duty (Christian or otherwise) to keep the government in operation and keep passing bills, regardless of what the far-right thinks?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Ernie wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:34 am So it appears that Johnson is in hot water for passing bills using Democratic votes.

It seems to me that his other option is to pass no bills of importance. (Which I think some folks like Jim Jordan would be doing had they been elected Speaker of the House.)

So why do you think Johnson is passing these bills?
Is it to assuage the moderates in the party?
Does he have some political goal?
Or does he believe he has a duty (Christian or otherwise) to keep the government in operation and keep passing bills, regardless of what the far-right thinks?
Because Government Shutdowns are a. dumb and b. only ever hurt congressional Republicans.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

Because he is reasonable and using his head?
2 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

This is why a multiple-party system (at least half a dozen parties) would be preferable. If no one party has a reasonable chance of having a majority, it becomes obviously necessary to build coalitions to get anything done. A near 50-50 split results in congress rather than progress, and a large majority gives too much power to one party.
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

barnhart wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:25 am Because he is reasonable and using his head?
But I am wondering WHY he considers this reasonable...
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

Ernie wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:32 am
barnhart wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:25 am Because he is reasonable and using his head?
But I am wondering WHY he considers this reasonable...
Maybe he has no intention of a long congressional career and is more interested in actual governance.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Yes.
It could be for...
1. personal benefit
2. party benefit
3. national benefit

It appears to be that latter, but I am wondering if he has made any comments that indicate otherwise.
0 x