US Civics and Government - Procedures

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: US Civics and Government - Procedures

Post by temporal1 »

www.jamesmadisn.org

PDF / 5 pages / Ridding Congress of Riders: The Case for a Single Subject Amendment
https://www.jamesmadison.org/wp-content ... Menton.pdf
It is no secret that Americans are upset with their political system.
Congress’ approval rate is dishearteningly low, and the bitter partisan divide that continues to fracture American society hampers any meaningful compromise or reform.

So, the question arises:
How can Americans improve their political system to ensure that the government is accurately representing the desires of its citizens?

Most Americans rightly condemn rampant government waste and “pork barrel spending,” but few realize that a simple solution would be to eliminate “rider amendments,” those unrelated provisions tacked onto bills and omnibus ..
^^i think so. :wave:

.. “The riders were hung on the stocking with care .. in hopes that no one would notice them there.” .. :evil:

senate.gov
https://www.senate.gov/legislative/comm ... s_acts.htm

usa.gov
https://www.usa.gov/how-laws-are-made

nebraska examiner / Could ‘single subject rule’ trip up merger of abortion and transgender health care bills?
Nebraska Constitution requires bills to have ‘no more than one subject,’ but the clause is mostly untested in court
https://nebraskaexaminer.com/2023/05/10 ... ans-bills/
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

GaryK wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:45 pm
Ernie wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:32 pmSo how many does it take to adjourn in a session like they had on Saturday?
I was watching the CR vote on C-span and right after it passed someone made a motion to adjourn, it was seconded, and the person in the speakers chair said "everyone in support say aye" and then "everyone opposed say no". There was very little response to both and then the speaker said "the ayes appear to have it" and banged the gavel.

The way I understand it, anyone could have called for a recorded vote before the gavel was banged and a simple majority would have prevailed.
Ok. That makes sense.
I guess my question is what is necessary to not adjourn?
It seemed that to keep from adjourning earlier on Saturday, they needed individual votes from each member, even though nearly everybody, Republicans and Democrats were voting not to adjourn.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ernie wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:11 pm Please do not engage in promoting left wing/right wing ideology or critiquing the actions or viewpoints of a particular political party or political leaning in this thread.
Posts have been moved to BT.
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Does the House Speaker only appoint people from his party to be speaker pro tempore for the day, or does he also use Representatives from other parties?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"