The rise of British Fascism

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

The rise of British Fascism

Post by barnhart »

I enjoy the history podcast The Rest is History by Tom Holland and Dominic somebody. The latest mini series is on the rise of British Fascism between the wars (episode 373). I was captivated by the parallels to our day. As Mark Twain once remarked, history may not repeat but it does rhyme.

1. Tightening economic indicators
2. Shrinking empirical authority
3. Discontent with the messiness and inefficiency of Democracy
4. Increased taste for dramatic government responses to problems
5. Rejection of older, small government forms of Conservatism
6. Fear around the rising influence and changing roles of women
7. Fear of masculinity that doesn't demonstrate enough vigor
8. Denouncing all opponents as Communist, even very similar ones
9. Calls for centralizing more power in a single leader
10. Calls for a more decisive, action oriented leader
3 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: The rise of British Fascism

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

barnhart wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:47 pm I enjoy the history podcast The Rest is History by Tom Holland and Dominic somebody. The latest mini series is on the rise of British Fascism between the wars (episode 373). I was captivated by the parallels to our day. As Mark Twain once remarked, history may not repeat but it does rhyme.

You mean Oswald Mosley is back???????
1 x
:hug:
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:55 pm
He was an interesting character I had never heard of even though he lived until 1980. I knew of the Mitfords and King Charles uncles who could not attend his wedding for fear of capture and trial by as Nazis.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

barnhart wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:42 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:55 pm
He was an interesting character I had never heard of even though he lived until 1980. I knew of the Mitfords and King Charles uncles who could not attend his wedding for fear of capture and trial by as Nazis.
Unity Mitford is particularly interesting.
1 x
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

barnhart wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:47 pm I enjoy the history podcast The Rest is History by Tom Holland and Dominic somebody. The latest mini series is on the rise of British Fascism between the wars (episode 373). I was captivated by the parallels to our day. As Mark Twain once remarked, history may not repeat but it does rhyme.

Thanks for this recommend! I am thoroughly enjoying this mini-series and the twists and turns of it. I've heard/read about the Mitfords and Mosely before but did not know the intricacies - like the woman-playing-man war hero (Sir Barker?) who marries another woman but is a founder? leader? of one fascist faction (Didn't know there was more than 1 until these episodes) Also didn't know about all the ex-military, ex-colonialist, aristocratic connections and instigators of British fascism. Or the Boy Scouts / machismo vibes either...
All of it utterly fascinating!
1 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

I appreciate Tom Holland after reading his book Dominion.

It was an intriguing time in history. It serves to remind me how easily people will grasp ideologies that are not worthy.
1 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

Jazman wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:20 am Thanks for this recommend! I am thoroughly enjoying this mini-series and the twists and turns of it. I've heard/read about the Mitfords and Mosely before but did not know the intricacies - like the woman-playing-man war hero (Sir Barker?) who marries another woman but is a founder? leader? of one fascist faction (Didn't know there was more than 1 until these episodes) Also didn't know about all the ex-military, ex-colonialist, aristocratic connections and instigators of British fascism. Or the Boy Scouts / machismo vibes either...
I was intrigued by the ease of the British aristocrats in accepting Fascist ideology. Holland summed it as "the frivolity of evil", riffing on Hannah Ahrendt and the Banality of Evil. Sympathy clearly ran deep.
1 x
Judas Maccabeus

barnhart wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:53 am
Jazman wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:20 am Thanks for this recommend! I am thoroughly enjoying this mini-series and the twists and turns of it. I've heard/read about the Mitfords and Mosely before but did not know the intricacies - like the woman-playing-man war hero (Sir Barker?) who marries another woman but is a founder? leader? of one fascist faction (Didn't know there was more than 1 until these episodes) Also didn't know about all the ex-military, ex-colonialist, aristocratic connections and instigators of British fascism. Or the Boy Scouts / machismo vibes either...
I was intrigued by the ease of the British aristocrats in accepting Fascist ideology. Holland summed it as "the frivolity of evil", riffing on Hannah Ahrendt and the Banality of Evil. Sympathy clearly ran deep.
No, I think it was far deeper than that. They saw what happened to their continental peers when "bolshevism " took over. At the least, German titleholders were deprived of title. At the most, the Russian aristocrats were deprived of all of their property, place in society and frequently lives. Remember there were ties of family between the continental aristocracy and England.

To do anything, to embrace any ideology that serves as a bulwark against bolshevism was better than the alternative. Remember, both Mosley and the Mitfords were through and through blue bloods.

William Joyce, who seemed to move in those circles, was none of the above. He is a much more perplexing figure, commonly known as "Lord Haw Haw." We would know more about him, but his date with Albert Pierrepoint ended that possibility.
0 x