Abusing the DOJ - Trump, Biden

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Abusing the DOJ - Trump, Biden

Post by barnhart »

How about a former president saying that a member of his cabinet should be executed. Is that an abuse of something?
0 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

Bootstrap wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:04 pm
Grace wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:26 am Trump fired Comey because he was corrupt and a liar. Comey promoted the Steele Dossier and said it was credible. We all know that the Steele Dossier was fake and Comey needed to be held accountable for promoting that lie.
Please show me where Comey promoted the Steele Dossier and said it was credible or verified or anything like that.

I don't think that he did. I think he was very clear that much of it was unverified.

Comey was fired when FBI was actively investigating possible ties between the Trump campaign and Russia's interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. A lot of people thought that looked like an attempt to obstruct or influence the ongoing investigation. Given the timing, I don't know another good explanation.
Comey said of the fake and vile Steele Dossier, “It was coming from a credible source, someone with a track record, someone who was a credible and respected member of an allied intelligence service during his career,”

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/comey-b ... d=54488781

Comey also thought it credible enough that he fought to include the fake dossier in the assessment of Russian interference, in the 2016 election.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... terference

https://www.foxnews.com/media/new-york- ... le-dossier
https://www.thedailybeast.com/comey-on- ... s-credible

As I said Comey deserved to be fired. He didn't denounce the Steele Dossier but promoted it when he fought to have it included in the Russian interference investigation.

Then there was Hillary Clinton being coddled by Comey. Clinton and her aides violated the law in using a private email server when she was Secretary of State. Investigating agents found thousands of emails that contained information that should have been treated as government secrets, including some messages that had Top Secret information in them. All those messages had been sent or received through unsecure, unclassified channels on Clinton’s private e-mail network. She also deleted or destroyed evidence of her wrong doing. And Comey only said she was "careless".

The best explanation for Comey's firing is that he promoted a fake dossier as credible. He also didn't do his job pertaining to Hillary Clinton.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Grace wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:20 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:04 pm
Grace wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:26 am Trump fired Comey because he was corrupt and a liar. Comey promoted the Steele Dossier and said it was credible. We all know that the Steele Dossier was fake and Comey needed to be held accountable for promoting that lie.
Please show me where Comey promoted the Steele Dossier and said it was credible or verified or anything like that.

I don't think that he did. I think he was very clear that much of it was unverified.

Comey was fired when FBI was actively investigating possible ties between the Trump campaign and Russia's interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. A lot of people thought that looked like an attempt to obstruct or influence the ongoing investigation. Given the timing, I don't know another good explanation.
Comey said of the fake and vile Steele Dossier, “It was coming from a credible source, someone with a track record, someone who was a credible and respected member of an allied intelligence service during his career,”

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/comey-b ... d=54488781

Comey also thought it credible enough that he fought to include the fake dossier in the assessment of Russian interference, in the 2016 election.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... terference

https://www.foxnews.com/media/new-york- ... le-dossier
https://www.thedailybeast.com/comey-on- ... s-credible

As I said Comey deserved to be fired. He didn't denounce the Steele Dossier but promoted it when he fought to have it included in the Russian interference investigation.

Then there was Hillary Clinton being coddled by Comey. Clinton and her aides violated the law in using a private email server when she was Secretary of State. Investigating agents found thousands of emails that contained information that should have been treated as government secrets, including some messages that had Top Secret information in them. All those messages had been sent or received through unsecure, unclassified channels on Clinton’s private e-mail network. She also deleted or destroyed evidence of her wrong doing. And Comey only said she was "careless".

The best explanation for Comey's firing is that he promoted a fake dossier as credible. He also didn't do his job pertaining to Hillary Clinton.
So Trump's actual stated reason for firing Comey was just a lie then?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Grace wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:33 am Investigation of the Biden alleged crimes and investigation of the Biden crimes cover-up by the DOJ. James Comer explains it well and reveals that the IRS wanted to investigate the Biden's, but DOJ's Leslie Wolf said "no".
What's lacking, I think, is evidence that Joe Biden did anything to influence this. And it's striking that they keep announcing the result of the investigation first, saying they will find the evidence later. On camera.

Isn't that exactly what we call a show trial? Shouldn't they get the evidence first, then decide what people are guilty of? Even the witnesses the Republicans called yesterday said that evidence is not there. For instance, Jonathan Turley says they should investigate, but they do not yet have the evidence:
Jonathan Turley wrote:I want to emphasize what it is that we’re here today for. This is a question of an impeachment inquiry. It is not a vote on articles of impeachment. In fact, I do not believe that the current evidence would support articles of impeachment. That is something that an inquiry has to establish. But I also do believe that the House has passed the threshold for an impeachment inquiry into the conduct of President Biden ... At the moment, these are allegations. There is some credible evidence there that is the basis of the allegations.
Part 2 of the Mueller Report, two impeachments, and the various cases against Donald Trump are a lot further along than that. And they seem to involve much more serious abuses of the DOJ, done specifically to protect President Trump from investigation.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:05 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:59 am
Bootstrap wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:49 am If you believe that, then for consistency, nobody from the DOJ needs to respond to Congress when they ask questions about Hunter Biden. Do you really believe that?
Special rules can be made specifically for Congress to compel the executive branch to do certain things (which in my view is lawful).
For Trump as well. Which is how we got the Mueller Investigation and how we got the two impeachments. So the same rules apply to both Presidents, right?
Yes. I don't have an objection to Congress compelling Trump to testify, etc. (although impeachment trials are usually political theatre as opposed to fact finding missions). That's because the congressmen are accountable to the people. The people may elect new congressmen and may elect a new President, or choose to keep them.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

barnhart wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:08 pm How about a former president saying that a member of his cabinet should be executed. Is that an abuse of something?
What if that former cabinet member is guilty of treason? It's still a capital crime!
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:28 pm
barnhart wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:08 pm How about a former president saying that a member of his cabinet should be executed. Is that an abuse of something?
What if that former cabinet member is guilty of treason? It's still a capital crime!
You do realize it is exactly the opposite of that don't you?

Trump is going off unhinged because General Milley REFUSED to commit treason on Trump's behalf.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Ken wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:20 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:28 pm
You do realize it is exactly the opposite of that don't you?

Trump is going off unhinged because General Milley REFUSED to commit treason on Trump's behalf.
I agree with Ken here. But regardless of opinion, where was the trial that found Milley guilty of anything at all? Why aren't accusations against Milley treated the same way as accusations against Trump? Why does Trump delight in the fact that he can issue death threats with a single tweet, no trial required?

And isn't Trump doing that to protect his own wrongdoing?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:59 am And isn't Trump doing that to protect his own wrongdoing?
Milley is potentially a witness in one of the Trump trials. What Trump is doing is arguably witness intimidation. Jack Smith specifically cited Trump’s post in a new request for a gag order.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford