Trump on abortion restrictions: "a terrible thing", "a terrible mistake"

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Trump on abortion restrictions: "a terrible thing", "a terrible mistake"

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:49 pm Could someone explain to me how federal laws about abortion are appropriate?
Is murdering unborn babies “interstate commerce”?
It’s a sin and a crime, comparable to for-hire-murder, or the death penalty, which are not referred to as interstate commerce.
2 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Szdfan wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:56 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:51 pm But if you read the entire article, and not just the first sentence, you see him talking about how many weeks, and winning, and political considerations. And saying that Republicans are not going to win if they don't adapt to public opinion.
Trump is being kind of cagey about all of this.

1) He's taken a number of victory laps about the Dodd decision and is taking credit for it.
Question. Is it wrong for him to do that? I say no. What do candidates do when running? Point out their accomplishments. They ALL do this. He should be given credit for it. His campaign promise was to appoint conservative judges to Supreme Court. He almost miraculously had the opportunity to appoint 3 in his one term. That enabled the SC to finally reverse the 50 year old ruling. I don't care how many times he has to remind the public of what he did accomplish because his "haters" including those on this forum; enjoy making him look bad constantly. Isn't it only right to defend what he accomplished? Without his appointments to Supreme Court: do YOU think Roe V Wade would have been reversed?
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Ken wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:03 pm
Josh wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:49 pm Could someone explain to me how federal laws about abortion are appropriate?

Is murdering unborn babies “interstate commerce”?
Yes, abortion is interstate commerce. People cross state lines for surgical abortions and abortion medications are produced and distributed across state lines. They are also regulated by the FDA.

It is "commerce" because people pay for it. Whether in the form of a service (surgical abortion) or a good (medical abortion).

The Constitution (Article 1) also provide Congress with the power to pass laws and tax levies to provide for the "general welfare" of the United States and one could argue that abortion (either pro or con) relates to the general welfare of the country.
It seems a spiritual battle as well. Here you have Governor of CA in his revenge, going tob7 red states with abortion restrictions, spending tax payers money to advertise for women to come to CA for abortions. CA made abortions legal in 1967, before Roe V Wade.

Newsome even quoted Jesus on his billboards inviting women to CA.
Who else do we know but Satan himself using Scripture to tempt evil? Or twisting God's words??

https://www.baptistpress.com/resource-l ... .%E2%80%9D

So here's the Democrat who many believe wants to be president; using Scripture to support abortion.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Valerie wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:23 am
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:51 pm But if you read the entire article, and not just the first sentence, you see him talking about how many weeks, and winning, and political considerations. And saying that Republicans are not going to win if they don't adapt to public opinion.

1) He's taken a number of victory laps about the Dodd decision and is taking credit for it.
Question. Is it wrong for him to do that? I say no. What do candidates do when running? Point out their accomplishments. They ALL do this. He should be given credit for it. His campaign promise was to appoint conservative judges to Supreme Court. He almost miraculously had the opportunity to appoint 3 in his one term. That enabled the SC to finally reverse the 50 year old ruling. I don't care how many times he has to remind the public of what he did accomplish because his "haters" including those on this forum; enjoy making him look bad constantly. Isn't it only right to defend what he accomplished? Without his appointments to Supreme Court: do YOU think Roe V Wade would have been reversed?
What will actually happen in the 2024 general election is the opposite. Democrats will make every effort to tie Dobbs around Trump's neck as an anchor. And Trump, by contrast, will make every effort to disavow the key central role he played in it. Which you accurately characterize.

Because Trump is nothing if not a political animal and he understands that this is not a popular issue for him to run on in the general election. Only 39% of Americans and only 36% of Independents (swing voters) agree with the Dobb's decision: https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/has-dobbs-d ... d-abortion
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Valerie wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:23 am

There's nothing wrong about it, it's just ironic considering that he's criticized the six week ban and refuses to comment on the fifteen week ban.

Like Ken said, Trump is aware that abortion bans are politically unpopular and therefore he's talking out of both sides of his mouth.
2 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

The remarkable thing is how consistently pro life DJT has been, with this possibly being the first-only questionable comment.
I don’t happen to know anyone who sees him as flawless, regardless of assertions on this forum and elsewhere.

The only thing more consistent on forum and elsewhere is the unrestrained effort to destroy him, with or without basis.

i prefer to withhold speculation until learning more about his position - from him.

To repeat, “who knew” of the depth of passion to kill innocents for profit that would be immediately unleashed??!
Passions so great they could throw elections.

If anything is to be scrutinized, THAT should be the starting point.

Priorities, anyone?
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:32 pm
Sliceitup wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:15 pm What do you think that the proper context was for his remarks?
He thinks that what Desantis did wrong was not negotiate an agreement from both sides but forced a number. I am NOT saying I agree with him, but he clearly thinks this can be negotiated, as he thinks all things can.

I do think the majority of US citizens thinks there is a middle ground and it could be a good starting point. This is my perspective of what Trump meant here.
Yes, I think most Americans would support, say, a ban on abortions somewhere between 15 weeks and 24 weeks, with some exceptions. Which is what Trump is saying here. Trump is very much playing politician here, asking what can win. I think he is guessing that the political calculus around abortion is different now than it was in 2016.

But this is pretty far from the position of the Right-to-Life groups that promoted Trump, isn't it?

2 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Here's a nice summary graph - even most Republicans do not support a ban at 6 weeks. I think this is the political calculus for Trump.

Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 16.57.05.png
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:06 pm The remarkable thing is how consistently pro life DJT has been...
Since 2016 anyway. Back in 1999 he was pro-choice.

Meanwhile, in 1982 Senator Biden voted in favor of a constitutional amendment to overturn Roe v. Wade. (Caveats: The vote was in the Judiciary Committee and did not advance to the full Senate. A year later, he voted against a similar measure.)
3 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

ohio jones wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:12 pm
temporal1 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:06 pm The remarkable thing is how consistently pro life DJT has been...
Since 2016 anyway. Back in 1999 he was pro-choice.

Meanwhile, in 1982 Senator Biden voted in favor of a constitutional amendment to overturn Roe v. Wade. (Caveats: The vote was in the Judiciary Committee and did not advance to the full Senate. A year later, he voted against a similar measure.)
Well, from 2016 until 2023. I don't think Trump is saying the same thing today that he said in 2016.
1 x