Senate drops dress code

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Re: Senate drops dress code

Post by HondurasKeiser »

barnhart wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:49 pm If I recall correctly, the visitors of Jan 6 did not hold to dress code either.
Well who in the world would think to hold them up as paragons of modesty, civility, and decorum?
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

What’s the dress code for visitors?
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:31 am What’s the dress code for visitors?
None really. Other than shoes and shirt I suppose.

But the Senate gets two kinds of visitors. Tourists who flood through by the hundreds of thousands and dress like tourists. And then visitors who have business before Congress and are going to dress up more professionally if they have meetings with Senators or their staff and want to have their case heard.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:53 am

But the Senate gets two kinds of visitors. Tourists who flood through by the hundreds of thousands and dress like tourists. And then visitors who have business before Congress and are going to dress up more professionally if they have meetings with Senators or their staff and want to have their case heard.
Lobbyists often hire homeless people to stand in line for them, and the ones I personally saw doing so were often quite shabbily dressed. I guess there isn't budget money in the lobbyist's "pay people to stand in line" fund to get them showers and a change of clothes.
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

John Fetterman, won’t be allowed to dress in a shorts and a hoodie in congress any more.

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/fette ... he-senate/
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:54 am
Ken wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:53 am

Lobbyists often hire homeless people to stand in line for them, and the ones I personally saw doing so were often quite shabbily dressed. I guess there isn't budget money in the lobbyist's "pay people to stand in line" fund to get them showers and a change of clothes.
Yep, they used to do that back in the late 90s when I worked there. It is a longstanding custom. There are companies that do it and pay about $30-$40 per hour. It is an actual industry. But we aren't talking about delusional drug addled types, more like college student types who weren't unpresentable. Or retired folks looking to make some extra cash. Basically your uber driver or doordash types.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:50 pm
barnhart wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:49 pm If I recall correctly, the visitors of Jan 6 did not hold to dress code either.
Well who in the world would think to hold them up as paragons of modesty, civility, and decorum?
No one, I would think but amazingly they have their supporters who defend them.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Grace wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:01 pm John Fetterman, won’t be allowed to dress in a shorts and a hoodie in congress any more.

But no explicit dress code for women. Sexist!
https://www.manchin.senate.gov/imo/medi ... ion.pdf?cb
0 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

JimFoxvog wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:19 am
Grace wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:01 pm John Fetterman, won’t be allowed to dress in a shorts and a hoodie in congress any more.

But no explicit dress code for women. Sexist!
https://www.manchin.senate.gov/imo/medi ... ion.pdf?cb
You could say that. But could that be because very few women, if any, would want to present themselves in congress, looking like slobs.
0 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

It seems the new dress code vote was unanimous, so there is still room for some bipartisan action.
1 x