Senate drops dress code

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Senate drops dress code

Post by Josh »

All of the reporting that I had read at the time indicated that Fetterman was not cognitively impaired, but had an issue hearing words and processing them, and then also to be able to put his own thoughts into words.
Exactly what definition of impairment are you using? Generally speaking, we think of a stroke victim as "cognitively impaired".
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Back to the Senate dress codes, I reflected more on it. To me, it seems that casual clothing is more modest, in the traditional Biblical sense of the word, and more plain, in the plain meaning of the word, than the formal suits and ties. Although this may not exactly alaign with the current "Plain" folks' use of the words, the value expressed seems to be similar.
0 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

JimFoxvog wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:42 am Back to the Senate dress codes, I reflected more on it. To me, it seems that casual clothing is more modest, in the traditional Biblical sense of the word, and more plain, in the plain meaning of the word, than the formal suits and ties. Although this may not exactly alaign with the current "Plain" folks' use of the words, the value expressed seems to be similar.
I don't think bare legs is more modest.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:32 am
JimFoxvog wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:42 am Back to the Senate dress codes, I reflected more on it. To me, it seems that casual clothing is more modest, in the traditional Biblical sense of the word, and more plain, in the plain meaning of the word, than the formal suits and ties. Although this may not exactly alaign with the current "Plain" folks' use of the words, the value expressed seems to be similar.
I don't think bare legs is more modest.
The Biblical sense of the word 'modest' means humble or not-fancy.

Bare legs for men were common in Biblical times

1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

More bare skin is more modest and more biblical, you say?

0 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Would you wear shorts, hoodie and sandals to a Norma wedding or funeral? Normal as in not beach or red neck themed.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:04 pm More bare skin is more modest and more biblical, you say?
No, what I am saying is that when Paul is talking about modest dress in the New Testament he is talking about dressing humbly and not in expensive fabrics with lots of jewelry and so forth. He is criticizing excess or excessively fancy dress not hemlines.

The English language is sometimes limited. Like how in English we use the same word "hot" to describe both food that is hot in temperature and food that is spicy when they are two separate concepts. For example, Spanish uses "caliente" for food that is hot in temperature and "picante" for food that is spicy hot so there is no ambiguity. Picante actually translates to "stings" or "stingy" as in a bee sting which is actually a better description of spicy food than hot. It stings your mouth, it doesn't burn it.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:28 pm
Would you wear shorts, hoodie and sandals to a Norma[l] wedding or funeral? Normal as in not beach or red neck themed.
Jim's not that far from Normal, Illinois, so he might very well go to a Normal wedding someday. Perhaps even one where the bride is from Oblong, Illinois and the headline reads: "Normal Man Marries Oblong Woman."
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Josh wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:04 pm More bare skin is more modest and more biblical, you say?
I'd say it was more modest and more biblical than obviously very expensive clothing.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

If I recall correctly, the visitors of Jan 6 did not hold to dress code either.
0 x