Senate drops dress code

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Re: Senate drops dress code

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Sliceitup wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:58 pm I’m wondering if anyone from the forum regrets their harsh judgement of Fetterman’s cognitive abilities due to how stunted his speaking was, now that he seems to be speaking quite well again?
No. He was seriously impaired then and now he seems to be well. I am glad he is better; and I stand by my criticism of the Democratic Party that put an unwell man through an election.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:02 pm
Sliceitup wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:58 pm I’m wondering if anyone from the forum regrets their harsh judgement of Fetterman’s cognitive abilities due to how stunted his speaking was, now that he seems to be speaking quite well again?
No. He was seriously impaired then and now he seems to be well. I am glad he is better; and I stand by my criticism of the Democratic Party that put an unwell man through an election.
i guess this link below is the topic in question.
i didn’t reread all of it, my impression is, Dr Oz took more hits than Mr F.:

.. Oz vs Fetterman
viewtopic.php?t=5105

i haven’t seen any examples of him appearing very different from the campaign days.
Definitely media is framing him as mercifully as possible. Brief, and limited.

Personally, i support accomodations for the disabled, whether temporary or permanent disability.
i believe this is THE ONLY group deserving of special federal protections. i’m not for gov created super-citizens.

That doesn’t mean U.S. voters shouldn’t have expectations of performance for their highest leadership, and voters can be subjective in choices.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

You think he was cognitively impaired then, but not now?
0 x
HondurasKeiser

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Sliceitup wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:52 pm
Yes, he was.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Sliceitup

Post by Sliceitup »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:02 pm

Yes, he was.
Here’s what I don’t understand: you’ve said yourself that your grandmother couldn’t recall your name after her stroke while she was still healing, even though you think she knew who you were. Why could the same not have been happening with Fetterman? What did you see with him that makes you certain that he was cognitively impaired, rather than just a speech processing problem?

I’m not trying to be combative, just genuinely curious why.
HondurasKeiser wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:47 pm
Sliceitup wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:26 pm I’m curious if anyone has experienced or watched someone else recover from a stroke that caused difficulty in the same way that Fetterman has. I’m wondering how long it usually takes to ‘get back to normal.’ The only person I know well who had a stroke dealt more with physical limitations. I don’t recall speech difficulties but it was a long time ago, so I could have forgotten.
My great grandmother had a stroke when I was young and it took her quite a while to regain function of speech - I remember her not being able to get my name out even though I could tell she knew who I was.
0 x
HondurasKeiser

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Sliceitup wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:27 pm

Yes, he was.
Here’s what I don’t understand: you’ve said yourself that your grandmother couldn’t recall your name after her stroke while she was still healing, even though you think she knew who you were. Why could the same not have been happening with Fetterman? What did you see with him that makes you certain that he was cognitively impaired, rather than just a speech processing problem?

Sliceitup wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:26 pm I’m curious if anyone has experienced or watched someone else recover from a stroke that caused difficulty in the same way that Fetterman has. I’m wondering how long it usually takes to ‘get back to normal.’ The only person I know well who had a stroke dealt more with physical limitations. I don’t recall speech difficulties but it was a long time ago, so I could have forgotten.
My great grandmother had a stroke when I was young and it took her quite a while to regain function of speech - I remember her not being able to get my name out even though I could tell she knew who I was.
Wouldn’t that, the inability to form thoughts into words and to speak without the the aid of a teleprompter be evidence of cognitive impairment, however temporary?
1 x
HondurasKeiser

Post by HondurasKeiser »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:07 pm

Yes, he was.

Wouldn’t that, the inability to form thoughts into words and to speak without the the aid of a teleprompter be evidence of cognitive impairment, however temporary?
Additionally, I seem to recall though I’d have to go back and look, certain reporters/interviewers expressing concern because it appeared to them that in addition to speech impairment, he was unable to fully comprehend what they were asking him at times.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

In my family experience with strokes, there’s no guarantee of recovery, or level of recovery.
Nature and medicine take time.

In the past, it was common for folks under duress to voluntarily withdraw from activities, “for the greater good,” whether, sports, business, politics. This was considered the honorable thing.

i’m not sure where this concept was lost.
My guess would be it was WJC, as POTUS, lying and manipulating, certainly not stepping down.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:34 pmThere are only so many things you can accuse someone of. And right-wing is busy making accusations all the time. That's what they do for a living.
I don't disagree with this. But is it different from left-wing?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Sliceitup

Post by Sliceitup »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:07 pm

Yes, he was.

In my opinion, no, it would not be evidence of cognitive impairment. When I have thoughts I am using my cognitive abilities. The ability to bring those thoughts into spoken words relies on an entirely different process. For most of us it’s so natural and intertwined that we don’t realize that it’s two different things.

All of the reporting that I had read at the time indicated that Fetterman was not cognitively impaired, but had an issue hearing words and processing them, and then also to be able to put his own thoughts into words.

The reporter who you referred to in your other comment mentioned that he had difficulty understanding her when they didn’t have the closed captioning set up. I don’t think it was a reflection on his cognitive abilities.
0 x