Senate drops dress code

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Senate drops dress code

Post by Josh »

Gym shorts and hoodies now acceptable for active U.S. senators to show up to the Senate chambers in.

For comparison, Wal-Mart cashiers have to dress up more than that. But perhaps Wal-Mart cashiers have more dignity and are more trustworthy than a typical Senator these days.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Senate drops dress code

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:05 pm Image

Gym shorts and hoodies now acceptable for active U.S. senators to show up to the Senate chambers in.

For comparison, Wal-Mart cashiers have to dress up more than that. But perhaps Wal-Mart cashiers have more dignity and are more trustworthy than a typical Senator these days.
Looks like they also dropped age requirements. That guy in the shorts doesn't look like he's eligible for Medicare.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

^^ “Much worse” is coming along right behind them. :-|

ohio jones wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:30 pm
Grace wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:06 pm And yes I am sad as well, at the downward trend our nation has been taking starting back in the 90's,
spiritually, morally and politically .
Just for clarification, that would be the 1790s, right?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I never liked the coat and tie uniform. I'm glad they are dropping it.

To me, that uniform designates solidarity with the rich and powerful. I reject that identification.
1 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

0 x
AndersonD

Post by AndersonD »

Josh wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:05 pm Image

Wow, do we still address him as "Mr Fetterman" or "Senator Fetterman"?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

One of the signs of the times is that our "elites" (the wealthy and powerful, including the wealthiest in the world) dress casually, whether at the office, or even in places like the Senate chambers, now.

Eventually, dress codes will just be for the "little people". (Staffers still have to wear suits and ties in the U.S. senate; just Senators will be allowed to, apparently, wear whatever they want.)
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I hope and expect the staffers will be allowed more freedom also.
0 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

I remember Harold Martin (Brethren minister) speaking about dress in a sermon many years ago. Harold was a public school math teacher for over 30 years. As was custom in his years of teaching, the school had a “clash dress day” and a “dress up day”. He vouched that on the “clash day”, the students were less well behaved, but the opposite in behavior happened on “dress up day”. He said the students always behaved far better when they were dressed up. The manner in which people dress does seem to have an effect on the mood of the setting they are in.

Fetterman dressing like a slob in a setting where people dress in a respectful manner is a reflection of who he is. His clothes speak for him and it isn’t a good picture.
1 x
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

Josh wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:48 am One of the signs of the times is that our "elites" (the wealthy and powerful, including the wealthiest in the world) dress casually, whether at the office, or even in places like the Senate chambers, now.

Eventually, dress codes will just be for the "little people". (Staffers still have to wear suits and ties in the U.S. senate; just Senators will be allowed to, apparently, wear whatever they want.)
Yeah I’m not very thrilled that staffers still need to wear the suits and ties. My biggest complaint about the dress code is the cost. Working around government often doesn’t pay very well, which tends to mean that people who are already wealthy are the ones working those jobs. Add in the dress requirements and it can become prohibitively expensive.
0 x