Is it OK to refer to MAGA by name?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Is it OK to refer to MAGA by name?

Post by Bootstrap »

GaryK wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:09 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:50 pm When I need to refer to the term, I am usually saying precisely this:

This is a call to circle the wagons around political identities, and it doesn't look like it's based on evidence or rules that people want to apply equally to both sides.

Often, it's closely related to Trump's basic sales pitch: I am being indicted for you. If they can indict me when I try to steal an election, they can indict you. I'm the only thing standing between you and jail. I am your vengeance. Only I can really punish the other side. (Implying, I think, "Only I have adequate disregard for laws and rules and ethics, only I am adequately extreme".)

I think that's nonsense. We can enforce election laws without endangering Christians. MAGA supporters don't get locked up if Trump loses his trials. If we want to "stop the steal", then attempts to steal an election should have consequences. Republicans should nominate someone who was not involved in any attempt to steal an election.
Are you suggesting that you apply the same rules to the political left that you apply to the political right?

What term would you like for me to use for you when you basically say the same things I read and hear on left-leaning media and from Democrats in congress?
First off, could you please respond to the content of my post instead of batting it away? You object to the term MAGA to respond to people who are doing this. Or are you saying that nobody ever does that here? Or that MAGA is an objectional way to describe this? Trump uses that term in his campaign, he is not insulted by it.

Second, I think it does depend on what exactly I am saying. Frequently, I am saying that we should settle things via elections and election boards and trials, and protecting the integrity of elections and the rule of law is important. Or I am saying that the Kingdom of God is not closely related to any particular political faction. Or that truth matters, and it is based on facts, which are discoverable. Sometimes I feel like a broken record on these topics.

Perhaps you could identify a specific belief that I express, and we can discuss appropriate labels for that? Not that I could stop people from all the labels they choose to apply all the time.

To me, there's a big difference between traditional conservatism and MAGA, and a big difference between rule of law folk and AOC, for instance. More precise descriptions are helpful.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Re: Is it OK to refer to MAGA by name?

Post by GaryK »

Bootstrap wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:09 pm
GaryK wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:09 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:50 pm When I need to refer to the term, I am usually saying precisely this:

This is a call to circle the wagons around political identities, and it doesn't look like it's based on evidence or rules that people want to apply equally to both sides.

Often, it's closely related to Trump's basic sales pitch: I am being indicted for you. If they can indict me when I try to steal an election, they can indict you. I'm the only thing standing between you and jail. I am your vengeance. Only I can really punish the other side. (Implying, I think, "Only I have adequate disregard for laws and rules and ethics, only I am adequately extreme".)

I think that's nonsense. We can enforce election laws without endangering Christians. MAGA supporters don't get locked up if Trump loses his trials. If we want to "stop the steal", then attempts to steal an election should have consequences. Republicans should nominate someone who was not involved in any attempt to steal an election.
Are you suggesting that you apply the same rules to the political left that you apply to the political right?

What term would you like for me to use for you when you basically say the same things I read and hear on left-leaning media and from Democrats in congress?
First off, could you please respond to the content of my post instead of batting it away? You object to the term MAGA to respond to people who are doing this. Or are you saying that nobody ever does that here? Or that MAGA is an objectional way to describe this? Trump uses that term in his campaign, he is not insulted by it.

Second, I think it does depend on what exactly I am saying. Frequently, I am saying that we should settle things via elections and election boards and trials, and protecting the integrity of elections and the rule of law is important. Or I am saying that the Kingdom of God is not closely related to any particular political faction. Or that truth matters, and it is based on facts, which are discoverable. Sometimes I feel like a broken record on these topics.

Perhaps you could identify a specific belief that I express, and we can discuss appropriate labels for that? Not that I could stop people from all the labels they choose to apply all the time.

To me, there's a big difference between traditional conservatism and MAGA, and a big difference between rule of law folk and AOC, for instance. More precise descriptions are helpful.
First of all, I did in fact respond to the content of your post by asking you if you are suggesting that you apply the same rules to both sides. That's exactly what you were implying Grace wasn't doing. Here's what I was responding to.
Bootstrap wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:50 pm
Grace wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:35 pm
It is always easy to discern if someone is using the term MAGA in a positive manner or in a derogatory manner.
When I need to refer to the term, I am usually saying precisely this:

Second of all, I have not been throwing labels around like you have in snarky ways. So the burden rests with you to prove that you, in fact, practice what you say you want everyone else to do, which is to stop with the negative labeling of "the other side".
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Not sure why .MAGA is so offensive.
According to his speech at his rally Saturday night, he may run on "Make America Safe Again" so MAGA may take a back seat.

Boot, it's going to be a long year. You probably would do yourself a favor by avoiding political discussions on this forum. Trump discussions seem to make your blood boil & why not abstain? It cannot be good for the soul. I do understand how you feel, I felt at least as upset 8 years of Obama administration & Clinton, & now Biden, as far as the political policies & environment. Just focus elsewhere, it helps. No one really is affecting anyone else's perspective it seems. Merely quarreling.
4 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Valerie wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:27 pm Not sure why .MAGA is so offensive.
According to his speech at his rally Saturday night, he may run on "Make America Safe Again" so MAGA may take a back seat.
Masa?

As in the cornmeal dough from which tortillas, tamales, and pupusas are made?

Talk about mixed messages. We going to build a wall to keep the masa out? :lol:

Bottom line though, there are now Trump Republicans and anti-Trump Republicans and the divide seems to be growing. I’m not sure what else you call them. Trumpers and anti-Trumpers? People will come up with a convenient short-hand. They always do. That can’t be avoided.

It isn’t that different from the Democrats circa 2016 when it was the Bernie Bros vs. the Clintonistas. People always come up with their nicknames.

In any event, see endless “MAGA”, “Ultra MAGA” “Proud to be Ultra MAGA” flags and banners and t-shirts for sale on the various trump merchandise sites along with all the “lets go Brandon” stuff and blue lives matter flags so people aren’t exactly shying away from the label.
Last edited by Ken on Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Ken wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:46 pm
Valerie wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:27 pm Not sure why .MAGA is so offensive.
Masa?

As in the cornmeal dough from which tortillas, tamales, and pupusas are made?

Talk about mixed messages. We going to build a wall to keep the masa out? :lol:

Bottom line though, there are now Trump Republicans and anti-Trump Republicans and the divide seems to be growing. I’m not sure what else you call them. Trumpers and anti-Trumpers? People will come up with a convenient short-hand. They always do. That can’t be avoided.

It isn’t that different from the Democrats circa 2016 when it was the Bernie Bros vs. the Clintonistas. People always come up with their nicknames.
Well there's a few pro Biden Democrats & more Democrats who don't want him to run. So no different as far as party divide.

There's good Republican potential candidates, but Trump is way ahead of all of them in the polls. So.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:46 pm [
Trumpets and Trumpeters?
1 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Ken wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:46 pm Bottom line though, there are now Trump Republicans and anti-Trump Republicans and the divide seems to be growing. I’m not sure what else you call them. Trumpers and anti-Trumpers? People will come up with a convenient short-hand. They always do. That can’t be avoided.
I usually prefer to use a term that a group uses for itself. The only two terms I have seen are:

1. MAGA
2. Trumpism - people have created the slogan "Trumpism without Trump" to describe people like DeSantis who want to carry on the movement but replace the leader

Is there a better term?
1 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:00 pm Trumpets and Trumpeters?
Maybe Trumpeteers? The hats are a little different, though.

0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

GaryK wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:50 pm Second of all, I have not been throwing labels around like you have in snarky ways. So the burden rests with you to prove that you, in fact, practice what you say you want everyone else to do, which is to stop with the negative labeling of "the other side".
I am certainly not saying that we should not point out problems, including major problems, with the world views of political movements. Especially political movements that are infiltrating Christianity and sometimes dividing Christians. In fact, I think doing that, from a Kingdom perspective, is important. But I do think we should focus on Kingdom of God versus various political movements, not on which political movement is "the right one" for Christians.

I am trying to find a descriptive label that you do not consider snarky. Can you suggest one? Or is MAGA really the best descriptive label? It does seem to be the label they use most frequently to describe themselves. They sell merch that has that label.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

GaryK:
.. in snarky ways. ..
it’s not the label, used over decades by a few politicians without complaint. or fanfare.
intent is important to Jesus.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN