Is it OK to refer to MAGA by name?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Is it OK to refer to MAGA by name?

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:04 am
Bootstrap wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:37 am In fact, when we do not do this, I think politics has a tendency to take over churches. It certainly did that in Nazi Germany. I think I have seen that happen to MC-USA on the left and to the Southern Baptist Convention on the right.

Two-state theology has been an important foundation for Mennonites, both the Sattler and the Marpeck variety.
Yet oddly enough this hasn’t happened at all to the Amish, various conservative Mennonites, GBs…
I assume that's true. And it hasn't happened to the non-plain Mennonites that I hang out with. But it sure has happened with a lot of MC-USA folk, and a lot of Evangelicals.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Grace wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:24 am
Bootstrap wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:46 amOne example: you really disliked it when I used the term Trumpies. In this thread, I am asking you what term to use. And it feels like you don't want to let me have a term I can use to refer to MAGA at all. Shrug. At that point, it doesn't feel like there's any term that I can use without offending you.
There are plenty of terms to use that aren't snarky, Starting with "some Trump supporters".

It wasn't long ago when you I was accused of being hateful because I used the term "Biden Crime Family". Yet using "MAGA-affiliated" folks who live in "MAGA-land", and are a party of the "MAGA side", Trumpies", isn't? Why not hold to the same standard that you frequently say others should use.
Interesting. I would have compared "Biden Crime Family" to "Trump Crime Family", which I think you and I would both consider hateful rhetoric. I don't think I use "MAGA side" or MAGA land".

Some people are saying they are NOT Trump supporters, but still seem to get really upset if he is criticized, and see him as being on their side. They have objected to being called Trump supporters, and especially to being called Trumpies.

But MAGA is the term this movement uses to describe itself. Which seems a lot like "Democrats" or "Republicans" to me. In fact, that's what I usually try to do, use the term they use for themselves instead of making up nasty nicknames.
1 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

GaryK wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:04 am
Bootstrap wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:00 am A lot of that had to do with their accommodation to Roman authority and their politics, didn't it? Consider Herod.
And yet you don't find Jesus saying much at all about Roman authority, do you?
You find Jesus saying a LOT about them abandoning the Kingdom of God to pursue other things.

But I agree that he doesn't specifically tell them they should not be involved in politics, or tell them to avoid any particular kind of politics. I do think it's striking that the disciples included a tax collector and a zealot - mind blowing, actually.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Valerie wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:26 am
GaryK wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:09 am
Bootstrap wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:46 am

Could you be specific about what you mean by "snarky"?
Bootstrap wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:40 pm
And FWIW, is there ANY timing that will seem fair to the Trumpies? Can't do it while he's a candidate, can't do it while he's a president, can't do it when he is no longer a president, can't do it before the primaries when he is not yet a candidate (now), can't do it when he is a candidate again ... every single time period seems suspect to them.

I think that's a given. If Trump is held accountable for anything at all, ever, Trumpies will object.
Pretty good belittling going on here. Mocking is not becoming of a Christian it is one thing that bothers me about Trump is his mocking/name calling even if it's to make a point, but to hear it from professing Christians is no different than my fb friends who poked fun & name called supporters. Of course we've been referred to as deorables by Dems. Again, not by a Christian.
I really don't read this as mocking, and that certainly was not my intent. I can see where Trumpies could be regarded as name-calling, so I was asking for a better name to use instead. I was very surprised that people would take MAGA as name calling. There IS a broader movement, including media and social media and a political faction. To me, calling that movement by a name they have chosen for themselves is not name calling. And so far, I have not heard a better alternative.

I don't call anyone deplorables. I don't call anyone here ignorant in public or in private. I really do try to avoid name-calling.

I often DO point out what see as logical inconsistencies, or point out the net effect of things. And I think what I said about timing is simply true, if you add up the times when people say it's wrong to hold Trump accountable, it adds up to saying that Trump should NEVER be accountable, period. He should NEVER have to testify in trials or hearings, period.

Which is how he "can do anything he wants", it's the reason he says "I could shoot someone and not lose voters" and "I could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and get away with it". I think Trump means what he says here. And I think this all depends on convincing people that something terrible happens if he is held accountable to the law just like everyone else.

I don't think that's mockery. I do think I am pointing out what I see as a real danger to democracy. And I imagine other people would see the same danger if Joe Biden were doing the same thing.
1 x
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:54 pm
GaryK wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:04 am
Bootstrap wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:00 am A lot of that had to do with their accommodation to Roman authority and their politics, didn't it? Consider Herod.
And yet you don't find Jesus saying much at all about Roman authority, do you?
You find Jesus saying a LOT about them abandoning the Kingdom of God to pursue other things.

But I agree that he doesn't specifically tell them they should not be involved in politics, or tell them to avoid any particular kind of politics. I do think it's striking that the disciples included a tax collector and a zealot - mind blowing, actually.
Who are you saying Jesus said a lot about abandoning the KOG?

Who are you agreeing with in the last paragraph?

The tax collector and zealot left all to follow Jesus.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

GaryK wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:06 pm Who are you saying Jesus said a lot about abandoning the KOG?

Well, who are you? Who am I? Who is Mickey Mouse? Who cares? Do we really want to put each other on trial instead of discussing things? That's precisely the kind of thing I mean when I talk about turning it into a personal fight. In this case, instead of discussing what Jesus says, you turn on me personally. Makes it hard to discuss any topic at all, doesn't it?

But if you look at the parables of the Kingdom, I think it's quite clear that Jesus was saying that the Pharisees had lost their claim to the vineyard. A bunch of parables make this point, with different images. The Pharisees took his point.

Let me emphasize this: I am NOT calling anyone here a Pharisee, I am interpreting what the Bible tells us.
1 x
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:32 pm
GaryK wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:06 pm Who are you saying Jesus said a lot about abandoning the KOG?

Well, who are you? Who am I? Who is Mickey Mouse? Who cares? Do we really want to put each other on trial instead of discussing things? That's precisely the kind of thing I mean when I talk about turning it into a personal fight. In this case, instead of discussing what Jesus says, you turn on me personally. Makes it hard to discuss any topic at all, doesn't it?

But if you look at the parables of the Kingdom, I think it's quite clear that Jesus was saying that the Pharisees had lost their claim to the vineyard. A bunch of parables make this point, with different images. The Pharisees took his point.

Let me emphasize this: I am NOT calling anyone here a Pharisee, I am interpreting what the Bible tells us.
Those were both honest questions.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

GaryK wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:42 pm

I apologize, I misread the questions. I saw the "who are you" and thought you were saying "who are you to ...", which has a different meaning.

I'm too tired, and I need to finish my presentation. Enough for tonight.
0 x
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:51 pm
GaryK wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:42 pm

I apologize, I misread the questions. I saw the "who are you" and thought you were saying "who are you to ...", which has a different meaning.

I'm too tired, and I need to finish my presentation. Enough for tonight.
It's all good.
1 x
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:51 pm
Grace wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:24 am
Bootstrap wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:46 amOne example: you really disliked it when I used the term Trumpies. In this thread, I am asking you what term to use. And it feels like you don't want to let me have a term I can use to refer to MAGA at all. Shrug. At that point, it doesn't feel like there's any term that I can use without offending you.
There are plenty of terms to use that aren't snarky, Starting with "some Trump supporters".

It wasn't long ago when you I was accused of being hateful because I used the term "Biden Crime Family". Yet using "MAGA-affiliated" folks who live in "MAGA-land", and are a party of the "MAGA side", Trumpies", isn't? Why not hold to the same standard that you frequently say others should use.
Interesting. I would have compared "Biden Crime Family" to "Trump Crime Family", which I think you and I would both consider hateful rhetoric. I don't think I use "MAGA side" or MAGA land".

Some people are saying they are NOT Trump supporters, but still seem to get really upset if he is criticized, and see him as being on their side. They have objected to being called Trump supporters, and especially to being called Trumpies.

But MAGA is the term this movement uses to describe itself. Which seems a lot like "Democrats" or "Republicans" to me. In fact, that's what I usually try to do, use the term they use for themselves instead of making up nasty nicknames.
Bootstrap wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:25 pm
Do you want to answer my question first? I can answer yours after that. Bottom line, though, I think it's rare for anyone to be outraged when a lawyer loses his license to practice. Except in MAGA land. Most of us don't even pay attention most of the time this happens. But when we do, the reasons given are generally compelling.

Make a list of such such disbarred lawyers on the MAGA side and I'll provide you with the list you ask for. But please do answer my question first before asking me to answer a new one.
0 x