"You can't insult your way to the Presidency"

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: "You can't insult your way to the Presidency"

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:08 pm 1 year ago / Democrats slammed for labeling half the country this ‘insulting, really stupid’ term / 4min
Clickbait headlines are not welcome. Even if they are not from CNN.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:48 am
temporal1 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:08 pm 1 year ago / Democrats slammed for labeling half the country this ‘insulting, really stupid’ term / 4min
Clickbait headlines are not welcome. Even if they are not from CNN.
i’m not sure what you mean by this?
(i think) the video content reflects the headline (altho, the pic doesn’t, from what i could tell).

i’m not sure all mismatches are clickbait. sometimes, i suppose they are just hurrying to get something out there, of these, some have content that has value, but may be overlooked. i see mismatches often, even in msm reports. i’m no longer surprised at them.

i sometimes wonder if headlines are written by different people than content, who do not read or communicate?
i try not to let headlines, or pictures, detract from reading content.

In this case, the video content describes misuse, overuse, of the insulting label, “fascism.” (is this debatable?)
Which i understood to reflect the headline, not the picture. i presume the picture was a mistake.

One of msm’s fav headline words has been, “insurrection,” immediately thrown out as fact before any effort made at “innocent until proven guilty.” Worse than clickbait? Not a mistake. If it’s repeated+repeated over time, does this mean it’s not clickbait?

My intent was to offer a quick example of sweeping insults, not meant to be comprehensive.
Grace added lots more detail.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ohio jones

Post by ohio jones »

"Democrats slammed for labeling half the country this ‘insulting, really stupid’ term" is clickbait. They don't tell you what the term is, you have to click to find out. That drives traffic to their site and generates revenue for them.

"Democrats slammed for labeling half the country idiots" would not be clickbait.

If you must post a headline like that, at least give us a summary of the contents so we can understand your point without swallowing the bait.
3 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Was there ever a time when American politics wasn't full of insults?
1 x
ohio jones

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:47 pm it’s useful to know, pictures+headlines don’t always match content.
Here's a classic example:

1 x

temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:52 am "Democrats slammed for labeling half the country this ‘insulting, really stupid’ term" is clickbait. They don't tell you what the term is, you have to click to find out. That drives traffic to their site and generates revenue for them.

"Democrats slammed for labeling half the country idiots" would not be clickbait.

If you must post a headline like that, at least give us a summary of the contents so we can understand your point without swallowing the bait.
ok. thanks. i think i see.
i guess i’ve become so accustomed to “things not matching,” or being false, i fairly ignore the headlines/pictures, then decide after reading/viewing what the content is. frankly, for me, this kind of presentation is more a turn-off than enticement. i viewed to find a quick example of DNC leaders being insulting.

Grace’s posts were better.

i think it’s fair to ask for an up-front summary.
i couldn’t agree more about mismatches. they are annoying. even off-putting.

i think i recall HK occasionally giving some “warnings” about mismatched content, even found in some of his references.

i shouldn’t take for granted anyone will read/view beyond headlines/pictures.
esp when i read/viewed IN SPITE OF headlines/pictures.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

I remember Hillary Clinton's remark that mocked stay at home Moms;

Clinton's words from 24 years ago appeared on a giant screen above the stage. “I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies and had teas, but what I decided to do was to fulfill my profession,” flashed on the screen. Signed: “Hillary Clinton.”Nov 5, 2016
2 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

When Hillary & Obama were contending to run for president:

Democratic rival Hillary Clinton and Republican candidate John McCain kept the heat on the Illinois senator for his comments that small-town residents were bitter over job losses and turned in frustration to religion, guns and anti-immigrant sentiments.

Clinton, campaigning in Indiana before the state’s May 6 contest, said the comments were elitist, divisive and out of touch and did not reflect the values of Americans she met.

“I don’t think it helps to divide our country into one America that is enlightened and one that is not,” Clinton, a New York senator, said in Indianapolis. “If you want to be the president of all Americans, you need to respect all Americans.”
2 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Of course Hillary was attacking him for insulting particular voters:

Obama on small-town Pa.: Clinging to religion, guns, xenophobia
By BEN SMITH 04/11/2008 03:30 PM EDT
Huffpo's Mayhill Fowler has more from Obama's remarks at a San Francisco fundraiser Sunday, and they include an attempt to explain the resentment in small-town Pennsylvania that won't be appreciated by some of the people whose votes Obama's seeking:

You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.

And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.
2 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:10 am Was there ever a time when American politics wasn't full of insults?
It’s “the nature of the (political) beast” .. including during primaries where attacks are intraparty, as Jeb’s quote in the OP, and Valerie’s examples just above.

biden+harris were at odds during the 2020 primary.

Old saying, “politics makes for strange bedfellows,” remains true.
0 x

UNKNOWN