Vivek Ramaswamy and persecuted Christians

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Vivek Ramaswamy and persecuted Christians

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:31 pm
Szdfan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:08 pm I’ve read critiques from other Hindus that Ramaswamy is intentionally soft peddling the differences between Christianity and Hinduism in order to appeal to evangelicals.
Given my experiences around evangelicals, most of them are very familiar with what exactly they hate about Hinduism, Islam, and so forth - I think having someone try to bridge those divides and find some common ground is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Or would you prefer he went around trying to highlight differences, sow discord, and create conflict? A really good question is why liberals all seem to hate Vivek Ramaswamy so much.
I don't think liberals pay much attention to Ramaswamy at all. He basically gets zero attention in any liberal circles because he is a nobody.

However those few who do stop to pay him any attention don't "hate" him. He isn't worthy of hate. Rather, they tend to dismiss him as a charlatan, fraud, and demagogue who appears to know little of what he is talking about.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Moses
Affiliation: Jewish

Post by Moses »

Ken wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:50 am
ohio jones wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:17 am Has Biden even pretended to be interested in religious liberty?
https://www.americanprogress.org/articl ... irst-year/
7 Ways the Biden Administration Advanced Religious Liberty During Its First Year: At home and abroad, the Biden administration is restoring a commitment to religious liberty for all.

On his first day in office, President Joe Biden rescinded former President Donald Trump’s Muslim ban. This was a historic victory for religious liberty that recognized no one should be banned from the country because of how they pray or how they worship. The Muslim ban policy was the most prominent but not the only way the Trump administration undermined religious liberty by favoring certain religions and using religion as a license to discriminate against and harm others, particularly women, LGBTQI+ individuals, religious minorities, and the nonreligious. Fortunately, in its first year, the Biden administration has charted a new course on religious liberty. It is helping to advance democratic principles of separating church and state while also affirming religious liberty for all, which includes protecting the rights and safety of religious minorities and the nonreligious.

Indeed, the Biden administration has taken a different and welcome approach to religious freedom, thus far reflecting an understanding that it is the principle that allows everyone to practice, or not practice, religion free from government interference. This human right is threatened by anti-democratic forces within the United States and in nations around the world.

This report details seven ways the Biden administration is advancing religious liberty at home and abroad:

1. Halting discrimination on the basis of religion in the U.S. immigration system
2. Expanding civil rights protections on the basis of religion
3. Resetting federal regulations to respect religious liberty
4. Structuring the administration’s religious affairs functions appropriately with religiously diverse leaders
5. Protecting sacred lands for Indigenous communities
6. Fighting white supremacist violence and enacting hate crimes legislation
7. Advancing international religious freedom as part of the interdependent human rights framework
Was this supposed to be an example of Biden pretending to be interested in religious liberty?
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Szdfan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:08 pm
Valerie wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:27 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:24 pm I would say he’s been quite honest about what his religion is, but he is also seeking to find common ground instead of focusing on divisions and differences.
He mentions his faith & God a lot. Hindus don't have one God. I'm confused by him.
I’ve read critiques from other Hindus that Ramaswamy is intentionally soft peddling the differences between Christianity and Hinduism in order to appeal to evangelicals.
Hinduism has one to multiple gods. Vivek has explained his theology on this. He identifies one God.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Josh wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:31 pm
Szdfan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:08 pm I’ve read critiques from other Hindus that Ramaswamy is intentionally soft peddling the differences between Christianity and Hinduism in order to appeal to evangelicals.
Given my experiences around evangelicals, most of them are very familiar with what exactly they hate about Hinduism, Islam, and so forth - I think having someone try to bridge those divides and find some common ground is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Or would you prefer he went around trying to highlight differences, sow discord, and create conflict? A really good question is why liberals all seem to hate Vivek Ramaswamy so much.
Being honest and authentic about differences is not the same thing as sowing discord and creating conflict. Part of what I don’t like about Ramaswamy (and disliking and criticizing someone is not the same thing as hating them), is that I think he’s a phony. Of course lots of politicians are phonies and so he’s in good company, but that doesn’t mean I have to like him or vote for him.

I think if I was a Hindu, I would be concerned whether the primary representative of Hinduism in the mainstream was presenting an accurate depiction of the faith. That’s not hatred or discord — that’s authenticity.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Robert wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:42 pm
Szdfan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:08 pm
Valerie wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:27 pm

He mentions his faith & God a lot. Hindus don't have one God. I'm confused by him.
I’ve read critiques from other Hindus that Ramaswamy is intentionally soft peddling the differences between Christianity and Hinduism in order to appeal to evangelicals.
Hinduism has one to multiple gods. Vivek has explained his theology on this. He identifies one God.
I’m not an expert on Hinduism, but according to my limited reading, Hinduism is both monotheistic and polytheistic — Brahman is the supreme being, but there are simultaneously other deities like Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. I don’t think that there’s a simple answer to the question of whether Hinduism is monotheistic or polytheistic.

Even if Ramaswamy does believe in one God, it’s not necessarily the same God as the God of the Abrahamic faiths. There are commonalities between major world religions, but I also think it’s important not to paper the differences over. I think it’s possible to talk about and recognize differences without sowing conflict and discord.

For the record, I don’t think that the fact that Ramaswamy is a Hindu disqualifies him from the presidency. But I do think that if I was a Hindu, I would be concerned about how he’s portraying Hinduism.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
JimFoxvog

Post by JimFoxvog »

Valerie wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:27 pm He mentions his faith & God a lot. Hindus don't have one God. I'm confused by him.
There are many varieties of Hinduism. Some of them have one God with many incarnations or avatars which they liken to the Christian Trinity.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

He often posts this list. I tend to agree with much of this.

1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Human flourishing requires fossil fuels?

The first oil refinery in the United States was not built until 1861 and the economy did not convert to dependence on fossil fuels until the early 20th century. Were humans not flourishing before we started drilling for oil in the later half of the 19th century? Aristotle, Jesus, Paul, Augustine, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton, etc. None of them lived in a world that relied on fossil fuels.

The Amish still don't use any fossil fuels. Are they not flourishing?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:33 pm The Amish still don't use any fossil fuels.
:laugh
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:41 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:33 pm The Amish still don't use any fossil fuels.
:laugh
Well, not much of them anyway. The odd kerosene lantern and generator to run milking machines and such. But that is only because they don't want to be on the electrical grid. Perhaps it is more accurate to say they don't RELY on them. I certainly wouldn't claim that the economic success of the Amish is due to their reliance on fossil fuels. You don't see them queuing up at the gas station like the rest of us or complaining about gas prices.
0 x