Vivek Ramaswamy and persecuted Christians

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Vivek Ramaswamy and persecuted Christians

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:00 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:55 pm
RZehr wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:32 pm Hey, there is nothing about persecuting Christians on that list. Must not be real high on his to do list. :)
Nothing about preventing religious persecution either.
Sure there is. Number 10.
That is just a platitude.

The President and his/her administration most definitely have a role to play in upholding religious liberty and preventing religious persecution both at home and abroad.

For example, how does the 1st Amendment protect Jews (and Muslims) in Israel?

Furthermore, the Constitution doesn't prevent religious persecution at all. It simply prevents the GOVERNMENT from doing it. So, for example, a Catholic school is perfectly within its rights to fire a teacher who turns out to be Muslim or converts to Islam. Nothing in the Constitution prevents that sort of thing. There are some anti-discrimination laws that prevent some of that sort of religious discrimination. But they are anti-discrimination statues and not part of the Constitution.
Last edited by Ken on Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Plenty of Christians have suffered rather brutally under the US Constitution. I would rather see #10 reworked as a goal or aspiration.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

barnhart wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:10 pm Plenty of Christians have suffered rather brutally under the US Constitution. I would rather see #10 reworked as a goal or aspiration.
i don’t read #10 as a statement of perfection for any person or group, but his opinion of comparing gov systems.
i can relate to this, having experienced decades of multi-faith, multi-cultural community life - not flawless, but, overall “pretty good” for all, with growing bias against Christians. Decades ago, the bias was generally with Christians, no longer true.

Atheists have thrived.

He’s not describing “flawless” gov, but appears to believe, as many do, “better than others,” thus far in world history.

Of course Christians have a colorful history of in-fighting. “With friends like these, who needs enemies?!”
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:38 pm
barnhart wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:10 pm Plenty of Christians have suffered rather brutally under the US Constitution. I would rather see #10 reworked as a goal or aspiration.
i don’t read #10 as a statement of perfection for any person or group, but his opinion of comparing gov systems.
i can relate to this, having experienced decades of multi-faith, multi-cultural community life - not flawless, but, overall “pretty good” for all, with growing bias against Christians. Decades ago, the bias was generally with Christians, no longer true.

Atheists have thrived.
Really? How many openly atheist members of Congress currently serve?

Hint...doesn't look to me like there is bias against Christians in the halls of power. To the contrary.

0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

.. whatever googlemaster says .. :?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:09 pm .. whatever googlemaster says .. :?
Reality belies your assertion that it is Christians who are disadvantaged in this country.
1 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Szdfan wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:52 pm
Of course Ramaswamy doesn't mention that he owns a fund called Strive Assent Management, which pushes for oil drilling at a site as long as it's profitable. He accuses other candidates of being "bought and paid for" by the "climate change hoax" but doesn't mention that he's making money off of climate change denialism.
He has talked about Strive multiple times in interviews. He has also posted clips of conversations he has had about climate change.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:05 pm That is just a platitude.
I do not agree. Many of the videos he posts is him talking about such things and he does not take the "polling" positions many politicians take. Some of his positions may be loosing him votes, but he still stands by them.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Robert wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:39 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:05 pm That is just a platitude.
I do not agree. Many of the videos he posts is him talking about such things and he does not take the "polling" positions many politicians take. Some of his positions may be loosing him votes, but he still stands by them.
Let me elaborate:

Ramaswamy's phrase "The US Constitution is the strongest guarantor of freedoms in history" is a platitude because it says nothing about what Ramaswamy's positions are on anything. Or what he stands for.

What freedoms and rights is he talking about? The right to privacy and freedom to get an abortion? The right to gay marriage? Other LGBT and transgender rights? The right to buy and sell pot (engage in commerce)? The right to vote? The right to a living wage? The right to unionize and engage in collective bargaining? the right to strike?

By his own words, he doesn't support ANY of those rights or freedoms even though there are MANY people who find all of them contained within the Constitution. Nor does he even support the Constitution as written as he wants to repeal the 26th Amendment.

So yes, that specific phrase as written by Ramaswamy is an absolute textbook definition of a meaningless platitude.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:24 pm Ramaswamy's phrase "The US Constitution is the strongest guarantor of freedoms in history" is a platitude because it says nothing about what Ramaswamy's positions are on anything. Or what he stands for.
If one listens to his speeches, he easily explains it and also provides plans on his website for his policies. I am not saying I agree with all his plans, but he does into detail for those who take the time to read. Those who just want to throw barbs, it doesn't matter what he presents. They will find any little issue to exploit. It even come out that the Desantos camp was making up lies about his positions and plans.
0 x